Cooking with a Trangia stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
Hey guys! I've recently gotten into all things bushcraft as well as camping. I've been going camping recently and been using a good old Campingaz bistro stove which actually works very well but like many newbies to this world, I've since been pining for one of those cool, little Trangia stoves. I think it could be handy to use as well as the Campingaz, when cooking a couple of things at once, or when I'd like to save some space.

I was wondering whether some of you experienced bushcrafters could give me some advice on actually using the Trangia stove, and any thoughts you might have on using them with a mess kit- and possibly any good mess kits for sale in the UK you have experience with. Of course I'd like to hear any other methods of using this stove but the idea of having a little mess kit with a windshield included is very appealing to me.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers :)
Filled, I find that burn time is about 10/12 mins. OK for a brew but damned annoying if cooking anything decent. Topping up the empty (and very hot) stove reservoir with meths..........
Secret (for continuity): have two stoves and use the pliers on your waist kit to pull the hot empty one out whatever you use as a support stove.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
I checked a few reviews of this stove,it didn't look the safest of stoves,shoddy made and wicks that are not at all safe.
true

also to note some did not have a clue how to properly light or use such a stove

one [1] was using the pot-stand as a stabiliser-stand

the packaging is flimsy at best and they seemed to get squashed in transit but nothing that could not be fixed with a bit of care and attention

the concept is not new and been around for many years i came across one [1] video saying the 1930's

like all liquid, canister, wood and-such stoves care and knowledge and training and-such are best for safe use thereof

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Love my Trangia. This has travelled with me everywhere to date but I have just bought a ‘Camping Gaz’ canister stove for convenience.
This won’t be doing lightweight treks but for simplicity and the ‘I’m-hungry-I-need-hot-food’ scenario I can’t fault it.
S

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Love my Trangia. This has travelled with me everywhere to date but I have just bought a ‘Camping Gaz’ canister stove for convenience.
This won’t be doing lightweight treks but for simplicity and the ‘I’m-hungry-I-need-hot-food’ scenario I can’t fault it.
S
I use a Trangia a lot when car, canoe and base camping. The gas adapter for the Trangia is a good investment - the best of both worlds.

Reactions: swyn

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Used to be able to get good bargains on Trangia cooking sets from Clas Ohlson but unfortunately they all seem to have closed down in the UK now. Should have taken my chance when I had it.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Cheers timditda. Bit more expensive now by the looks of it. The 27 used to be 35 quid in the shops but it still looks like the cheapest deal around (without kettle that is but I already have the 0.6l one)

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I have so many stoves, but when packing for anything other than a festival camp, I always end up taking the trangia 27 kit.
Easy to cook on if you use the simmer ring properly. As mentioned, have fuel ready to do a refil.
(I like the tip on having 2 burners!)

The non-stick frying pans tend to lose their coating pretty much on the first use. Best avoided. But, keep an eye out for the duosal pans. Frying and the bowls. They are realy nice, just nolonger in production.
I've never tried the hard anodised. Anyone know what they are like compared with the duosal?

You can even bake with a trangia. I have done muffins in an oven made from two pots, sealed with tin foil. Over a low/slow flame. Which was a burner mod, made from a spare screw on lid with a hole drilled and a wick fed through.

Reactions: nigelp and Winnet

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’ve yet to use it, but I’ve got one of those little shelves for resting smaller pots on in a Trangia stove. Has anyone got any experience of using them?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have used most anything on an alcohol burning Trangia, propping up some military articles caused some problems but not all that much. Having the proper distance from the flames is the key.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Good bit of kit that,sorts the problem of smaller pots out.
I thought it would be handy for bringing along smaller pots or cups that we already have to say heat a smaller amount of water when the Triangia was already burning anyway. Plus it was neat and I couldn’t pass it by. :D

Swampy99

Jun 8, 2022
Australia
Trangias are great. But the problem I found was the difficulty in taking them on a plane. You had to make sure all the fuel had been burnt off or evaporated and the same for the fuel bottle. Got caught out a few times in airports as the sniffer dog picks up the smell. Plus finding the meths in some 3rd world countries was a bit difficult and I had to resort to unleaded petrol. Which is a worst case scenario and I do not recommend just because of the mess.
It was easier to get a gas can for my JetBoil than meths for the trangia in Nepal.

Reactions: TLM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE