training and safety use for all kinds of portable stoves, heaters and-such

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
this thread is for all members to aid with their experiences on the training and safe use for all kinds of portable and camping stoves and fires and heaters and-such to help newcomers stay safe and enjoy camping, hiking, bushcraft for a lifetime

this thread is inspired after seeing some youtube videos whereby they were not using safe practices and did not know enough about the products they were reviewing or showing to the general population, one [1] was very lucky he did not have a canister explode when he was teaching folk how to use an adaptor he was selling when it caught alight, there are more but you get the gist

i will start with some basics for alcohol stoves sometimes known as trangia stoves which can be homemade or store bought and are many variants thereof

i will be using my experience with a cheap ebay purchased chinese knock of, as that is what i have used more than my other types of stoves

1. do not fill more the two [2] thirds [3rd] full
  2. when lit flame may be invisible to the naked eye [gently feel for the heat with caution not to burn yourself or your surroundings if you check with a piece of paper and-such]
  3. when lit wait a few moments for stove to come up to temperature and flame changes before placing your pot or cup or bottle and-such on the stove
  4. the whole stove gets hot [this is normal and to be expected caution not to burn yourself]
  5. to put out the flame it is best to smother the flame with the flame adjuster in the closed position lid that fits on the main lid [never use the main lid except in emergencies as the heat from the stove will damage the seal]
  6. never remove the closed flame adjuster straight away when flame has just been smothered as the heat can re-ignite the fuel [always allow stove to fully cool down before removing the closed flame adjuster to put the main lid on]
  7. for concerns if stove get tipped over one [1] can partially bury the stove in the ground or make or buy a stand
these are just some basics and can be expanded on if required or you can add any-thing non mentioned thus far

what safety experiences can you share with what you have used and or observed with others...??

have you used them in a tent, under-a-tarp or in a vestibule and-such...??

disclaimer

i have not used any stoves in a tent or under a tarp or vestibule and-such thus i can not recommend if safe or not for that kind of use

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
After 50 years experience camping and bushcrafting, living in the wild for extended times, and much else besides, I think I'm pretty well versed, both in many stove types and their safety and use.
I would say it's pure common sense to NEVER use a naked flame in a tent, or in the vestibule of one, especially if it is between yourself and the exit.
I have seen a tent go up with a young lass inside, like that, and it's not a great sight. Tents melt, dripping hot molten plastic everywhere, setting tent contents on fire, and it goes fast.
The trouble is, people cannot think for themselves today, they are not taught from a young age through things like guides scouts or just plain good old fashoned going out and doing it etc like we olduns were and there is so much health and safety advice stopping any real experience being gained.
I'm sure this mini series of health and safety stove advice will be a winner.!
This granny knows how to suck eggs tho, ;) (use a straw!) :)

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Make sure stoves and fires are out before going to sleep, and avoid using a stove from your sleeping bag.
I speak from some experience, assisting on a cadet exercise we had a young lad doze off next to a lit hexi stove. Luckily for him, he had a very old 58 sleeping bag which melted without flaring up. A modern bag probably would have caught and melted completely.
Was a scary experience trying to put it out and free him.
He was still wearing his boots and combats so got away with minor burns and hurt pride (as well as being soaked)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the advice not to is pretty sound, but I admit that I have a little low folding metal table and one of those cassette type stoves, and I use that for my first brew up, inside the vestibule of the tent.
1659287753754.png

1659287876654.png
I used to use my catalytic stove, but it's a tad top heavy while the cassette type one is rock solid stable and steady.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, couldn't have survived most of my winter mountain trips if I hadn't used a stove in the vestibule of the tent - proper training on 'how-to' is the right way; very few young lads take notice of 'don't' when they know that people do successfully do it.

Having said all that, my first trekking stove was a primus paraffin stove that could shoot flames four foot in the air when it decided to - DO NOT use one of those in a vestibule :)

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I think the advice not to is pretty sound, but I admit that I have a little low folding metal table and one of those cassette type stoves, and I use that for my first brew up, inside the vestibule of the tent. I used to use my catalytic stove, but it's a tad top heavy while the cassette type one is rock solid stable and steady.
I think a lot of the old hands on here probably push the boundaries on what would be considered safest practice.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think the advice not to is pretty sound, but I admit that I have a little low folding metal table and one of those cassette type stoves, and I use that for my first brew up, inside the vestibule of the tent.
View attachment 75602

View attachment 75603
I used to use my catalytic stove, but it's a tad top heavy while the cassette type one is rock solid stable and steady.

I have identical items which I will use in my robens fairbanks canvas tent vestibule, ....but, that is because it opens out, and gives me a good safe space to cook, and the "wings" of the vestibule provide good wind shelter, while being open at the top, you'd have to look the tent up to get what I mean I guess, but I still would not use anything inside the tent, always make sure I have a good exit strategy should there be a problem.
It's not hard to figure, if you are brewing up while in your bag, lying down in the tent, should you have a flare up, or spill it's going to take precious time to get out of the way to safety.
Mind you, saying that, I've been guilty of it, and gotten away with it so providing care is taken, and you keep sharp, it should be safe enough, but we all tend to be a bit dopy in the mornings, particularly if it's been a bad night, due to lumps, noise wind, rain, toilet trips etc. So just stay aware, and be ready to roll should the need arise. Or just get up.
A small gas stove you can regulate is preferable to a spirit/meths stove for a morning vestibule brew if its realy nessasary.
Besides, boiling water/cooking in a tent, puts moisture into the tent, which you don't realy want anyway.
So there is more than one reason not to do it.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Yep, couldn't have survived most of my winter mountain trips if I hadn't used a stove in the vestibule of the tent - proper training on 'how-to' is the right way; very few young lads take notice of 'don't' when they know that people do successfully do it.

Having said all that, my first trekking stove was a primus paraffin stove that could shoot flames four foot in the air when it decided to - DO NOT use one of those in a vestibule :)
Ha! So true. If you’ve used a Primus for camping you will be very aware of what the dangers are.
Hot things and modern materials don’t mix at all. Simples. So keep them very separate.
S

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Woody girl

I have to get out of my sleeping area to get into the vestibule of the tent. I just don't eat or drink in bed. Not even at home, I think it's a horrid idea.
I can't stand up in the vestibule but I can easily sit up, with headroom, so it's practical. It's also well vented, and the exit is to my left while the stove is straightahead. I actually have two of those wee tables and in a set up camp, I use the other for prep and to keep stuff off the groundsheet.
In all the years I've camped, I can count on the fingers of both hands the number of times I've come home without it having rained. A quick brew up, or boiling up the kettle for something quick and warm at lunch or teatime, isn't going to add that much moisture to the background miasma of 'slightly damp', especially when it's well vented. I wouldn't fry inside the tent though, or boil stuff that takes ages.
Stablilty and safe put stuff downable surfaces matter though.

We used to cook inside the Niger using a tilley stove. My Dad and my Uncle used to take the stove out on the boat on the loch and brew up there. Uncle Jimmy just sat the stove inside a bucket on the burden boards :) He was famed for being able to brew up anywhere :) When it poured they draped a tarp across the beam and just sat under that to brew up/fry up.

But then, both those, tent and tarp were canvas, which is a very different beastie from nylon.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
View attachment 75602

View attachment 75603
I've got one of those too, to put my trangia, cup and odds an ends on.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Most sound advice I can conjure up whilst lying on a cool floor for 15 mins before I crack on for another 3 hours after already working 14hrs is "Don't touch the hot bit!"

I'd say just use common sense, but I think that's pretty uncommon these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE