My reason for being on Bushcraft - my late husband's extensive knife collection - my position

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Every_Cloud

Mar 13, 2024
Southern part of the UK
Hello Everyone, I wanted to explain why I have joined Bushcraft. My husband, Mike, passed away just over three years ago he had a vast collection of tools. Microtechs, Spyderco, Benchmade, Chris Reeves, Swiss Army Knives, Buck, Curtiss, T A Davison, Serge Panchenko, CaseXX, Tuftie Knives, Booker, REKAT, A C Warren, Emerson, Smith & Wesson, Hen & Rooster, SOG, Leatherman.

I want to pass these onto others who will treasure them like Mike did.

However, I know there are those of you who like hiking, fishing, mountaineering, camping etc and some of these tools are essential to you, hence why I am now advertising these in the UK.

Last edited:

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I understand your problem, my wife will be in a similar position one day. Good luck with your sales. Riven.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have our genuine condolences and sympathy, but you have also been given really sound advice that the best place for you to sell these knives isn't here.

Chris already explained EdgeMatters to you, and honestly, I think you need to contact them. Speak with the site owner, he's sound, he's approachable, the whole site is simply knife collectors, makers, and those interested in such.

They are full of good advice, and they will help, especially if you're selling pieces they are interested in acquiring.

Reactions: Robbi and Pattree

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I have already been severely told off for one that I advertised on this site and I promise I won't make that mistake again.
I'm not sure what this one was for - that's a surprise to me on this site to be honest, unless it was something very illegal perhaps!

It must be really difficult having all these items connected to your husband which you'd like to be rid of, lots of difficult emotions there no doubt.

One way to help with the concern of vouches, would be to accept Paypal payments. If you do Paypal Goods & Services, then both the buyer and seller get protection. It costs very slightly more, but in my opinion is worth it for peace of mind.

Have you considered creating a post with a picture of every item laid out? It might help with identifying any unidentified ones, but also allow you the opportunity to offer them all for sale at once and people can pick and choose from the picture/list.

There's also the option of contacting an auction house or similar and seeing if they could offer an appraisal of the full collection.

You certainly don't want to be ripped off, but I wonder whether it's worth considering a slight loss (like selling via auctions and such) for the sake of your own wellbeing and being able to move on? It sounds like Mike valued his tools and wouldn't want to be ripped off, but I am sure he valued you and your wellbeing moreso and you can't put a price on some things.

Every_Cloud

Mar 13, 2024
Southern part of the UK
I'm not sure what this one was for - that's a surprise to me on this site to be honest, unless it was something very illegal perhaps!

It must be really difficult having all these items connected to your husband which you'd like to be rid of, lots of difficult emotions there no doubt.

One way to help with the concern of vouches, would be to accept Paypal payments. If you do Paypal Goods & Services, then both the buyer and seller get protection. It costs very slightly more, but in my opinion is worth it for peace of mind.

Have you considered creating a post with a picture of every item laid out? It might help with identifying any unidentified ones, but also allow you the opportunity to offer them all for sale at once and people can pick and choose from the picture/list.

There's also the option of contacting an auction house or similar and seeing if they could offer an appraisal of the full collection.

You certainly don't want to be ripped off, but I wonder whether it's worth considering a slight loss (like selling via auctions and such) for the sake of your own wellbeing and being able to move on? It sounds like Mike valued his tools and wouldn't want to be ripped off, but I am sure he valued you and your wellbeing moreso and you can't put a price on some things.
There are just so many and it’s taken weeks to sort them with their boxes, cases and paperwork.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I gotta say, I am very curious how you have managed to sell, and ship, knives to the USA. Some years back I had a high value knife to send to the US and was turned down by DHL, FedEx and UPS and used Parcel Force, who now do not carry knives.

Who have you used?

This topic has come up here with some regularity and other members here have not sold to interested buyers from the US because of the problem of shipping.

I see you have a couple threads over on Edge Matters now, and have had some good advice.

Regarding the RM ceasing to take sharp things, there was this post that might give you a little hope that there will be an alternative.

Chris

Every_Cloud

Mar 13, 2024
Southern part of the UK
I was completely honest with the customs forms and RM details. All sent tracked and signature required. All of the items were packaged up securely in their case/box and wrapped in bubble wrap. It all worked well. I can only assume that the states I sent them to in the US do not have issues with these.
Only problem is that RM will only insure up to £250, all buyers were aware.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There are just so many and it’s taken weeks to sort them with their boxes, cases and paperwork.
First, I’m ever so sorry you lost your husband, I’m just in the process of sifting through my wife’s stuff and it’s heartbreaking. There’s a member here who I know and trust called @Stew who I think isn’t miles away from you. I’m not sure how doable it is, but he knows his knives and could possibly give you some guide prices or an idea of value. Of course, these things are only worth what someone will pay unless you find a collector or someone after something specific. The US market is much more bigger and more active for this, but as mentioned there are niche buyers on Edgematters.

Should you want to take some pictures of them, myself and a few other trustworthy knife enthusiasts on here could have a look at them via email or WhatsApp. Plenty of old BritishBlades members ended up here after BB went down. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if your man wasn't a member there to have such a collection.

Nice username by the way. :)

Reactions: Every_Cloud

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
First, I’m ever so sorry you lost your husband, I’m just in the process of sifting through my wife’s stuff and it’s heartbreaking. There’s a member here who I know and trust called @Stew who I think isn’t miles away from you. I’m not sure how doable it is, but he knows his knives and could possibly give you some guide prices or an idea of value. Of course, these things are only worth what someone will pay unless you find a collector or someone after something specific. The US market is much more bigger and more active for this, but as mentioned there are niche buyers on Edgematters.

Should you want to take some pictures of them, myself and a few other trustworthy knife enthusiasts on here could have a look at them via email or WhatsApp. Plenty of old BritishBlades members ended up here after BB went down. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if your man wasn't a member there to have such a collection.

Nice username by the way. :)
Depending on where in Herts, I might be a bit far. I’m in Bucks - I go between Aylesbury and High Wycombe.
I’m happy to advise where I can, even if it’s a second opinion sense check. Realistically I’m not buying many (any?) knives these days as I’m trying to put funds to other projects so I’m not going to be trying to lowball values to get some myself.

It must be hard dealing with it all but I hope you do take the time to do it all justice and it’s a good community around here and edgematters that will help. Not to make light of Mike’s passing but there was a joke someone had on a previous forum about hoping that his wife didn’t sell his collection for what he told her it cost!

May I ask if Mike was a member of here, Edgematters, British Blades or any other forum and what his username was please? It may be that some of us used to converse together.

Reactions: Toddy and Nice65

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
Not an easy situation, I’ve been there. Not knives, but my late fathers collection of ceramics, sadly I had no interest and no room to store for sentimental reasons.

Maybe worth contacting Colin Cooper?https://www.customknife.co.uk/about-us/

I have no connection but have only heard good things.
This is an excellent suggestion, Colin is very friendly and honest, a gent to deal with. It isn't the cheapest option to sell due to his commission, but he also won't have you over and can reach lots of people.

The ones you posted so far I have zero knowledge of, they are quite niche, but i'd always be happy to look at some of what you have incase there is anything for me or anyone I can think of

Reactions: Y TJ Reid

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey @Every_Cloud could you clarify this for me please, you said " I have already been severely told off for one that I advertised on this site and I promise I won't make that mistake again."

Can you point out the thread/comment to me please so that I can address it. I've read through the threads and i'm struggling to identify where this occurred so I'd appreciate a point in the right direction, you can PM me if that's easier. Many thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE