Bear Grylls injured

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
well alright, that is a lot more cause-worthy, though quite why it needed money from Ethanol Ventures Ive no idea. I don't like the idea of big companies getting involved in things like this, its an image thing and its almost like holding people to an emotional ransom ie - "we support a good cause that means you should support our company to"
I certainly know what you mean, but it's like arguing against a £500-per-seat charity dinner. Of course, to an extent, it is an image thing, and some people who go to them only do so because they want to be seen to support charity. But does that mean that they shouldn't? At the end of the day, it's money for charity, which is, quite literally in many cases, a life or death matter. In my opinion, that's well worth the ego-boosting and corporate guilt-tripping.

Atb
Pete

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
as the saying goes "the ends justify the means"

I work for a charity though, there was a christmas dinner at the church and they refused to pay £6 to have my service user eat at the christmas dinner. the charity will only give me £4 to pay for his lunch, of which it has to be healthy. Not much healthy food for that price, which must include a drink. the charity Global Angels says 100% of the money goes to those that need it. I certainly hope so because ours seems to be spent on middle management.

gloomhound

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2008
Charleston
Here in the States the big fight tends to be about Bear Grylls vs Les Stroud, with most of the sober folks coming down on the Stroud side. Mr Grylls reminds me of some of the Snake Eaters I have know. Lee Stroud seems more like a fellow student than a teacher. I know who I would rather share a campfire with.

merecat79

Dec 3, 2008
Earth
get well soon bear grylls! ...I hope he is back to full health soon so he can get back to climbing up palm trees and his excellent demonstrations of t shirt ringing out techniques :)

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
I wasn't denigrating them, I was just saying they don't walk on water.

I wasn't refering to you, or anyone in particular. Apologies if it appeared I was, that wasn't my intention.

I was making the point that someone mentioned the TA and it appeared as if a question was being raised as to their effectivness. OK, so, again, I apologise to the term "denegrate" a bit strong and wrongly used.

Having said all that, even some of the regular SAS are not what they are held up to be, believe me.

As to BG, a poster has said his techniques are dangerous and not what survival is about. I disagree. Yes he does have a gung ho attitude, but if you keep in context what he is trying to get accross then some of the techniques will save your life.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
...but if you keep in context what he is trying to get accross then some of the techniques will save your life.
The first show of BG's that I saw... he was lost in a rain-forest, he said it was a good idea to climb the highest tree you could find to get a lay of the land and see where you were. Do you realise what the shear danger and energy exerted in climbing up and down that tree. If I were to try and climb the tallest tree in the jungle I would probably expect to die :slap: I think the climbing down part would be the most dangerous. Immediately after, he started running fast through the jungle, jungle-sprinting anyone? When he came across a waterfall that he himself recognised to be extremely dangerous and slippery he proceeded to make his own cordage to absail down the face of it with water gushing in his face! He was simulating a lost person or crash victim in a dire situation and this is how he thinks you should survive... by doing silly things that put your life at risk!

I have seen this man put feces in his mouth, climb inside a camel and do endless other stupid life-risking stunts, so personally I really don't think he's worth listening to and I certainly don't think that "some of the techniques will save your life".

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
The first show of BG's that I saw... he was lost in a rain-forest, he said it was a good idea to climb the highest tree you could find to get a lay of the land and see where you were. Do you realise what the shear danger and energy exerted in climbing up and down that tree. If I were to try and climb the tallest tree in the jungle I would probably expect to die :slap: I think the climbing down part would be the most dangerous. Immediately after, he started running fast through the jungle, jungle-sprinting anyone? When he came across a waterfall that he himself recognised to be extremely dangerous and slippery he proceeded to make his own cordage to absail down the face of it with water gushing in his face! He was simulating a lost person or crash victim in a dire situation and this is how he thinks you should survive... by doing silly things that put your life at risk!

I have seen this man put feces in his mouth, climb inside a camel and do endless other stupid life-risking stunts, so personally I really don't think he's worth listening to and I certainly don't think that "some of the techniques will save your life".

The one thing most survival experts say is that if lost, follow a river downstream to find a way out of whatever situation your in! BG explained that that situatins is great anywhere except Africa, where following water downstream you could lose the river into a massive aquafir (sp) so follow it upstream!! Damn good advice if you ask me! How to get out of mud holes that litteraly suck you under, by using a stick. I know that people can get this stuff on "propper" survival courses, but the general public don't do survival courses do they so if by watching this stuff the ysimply carry a big stick when out walking somewhere then that fact just might save their lives. I have learned my survival training in the forces and a lot of the things he does echo's, all be it a bit more extreme, standard military training.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

Have you ever been in a jungle/rainforest mate? The visibility is practically non-existent past 5 metres at the most, its dark gloomy and humid, sunlight barely if at all gets through the canopy. Which way are you going to go??? In a jungle there are 2 reliable techniques for navigation. One is to follow a river (but you've got to find one) 2 is to stick to the top of ridges.Climbing that tree enables you to take a bearing and find your immediate direction of travel. Dont climb the tree and you may never find either, not good. How can you not put your life at risk in a survival situation??? The very nature of the term "survival situation" means your life is already at risk is it not? There is a chance of falling yes but that pales to the chance of dying by not finding the river, ridge or bearing from the sun and being able to get out of there.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Right, I have removed a few posts to clean the thread up a bit. Although the self moderation was appreciated, once the first post was removed, all subsequent posts regarding its content and the thought process of the poster ceased making much sense. Lets not go on about it further.
Cheers:)

Also, lets try not to flog the same dead horse more than necessary :rolleyes: The antics of Mr Grylls have been discussed ad nauseam and despite the views of the occasional individual, the consensus, including many professionals, is that it is entertainment. There may be factual information, but its so mixed with questionable stuff, that it would take someone with considerable experience to sift the wheat from the chaff. Therefore, for practical purposes it would be safer for the average person not to read too much into anything they see him do.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well said,

For all you people who think Bear is just a showman, did any of you watch Escape to the Legion?? a 4 part program in which he and others undergo a month of training with members of the Foreign Legion?? If not watch it. You will see a side to him that you don't see on man vs wild, you actually see Bear himself i believe with none of the "showman".

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
How can you not put your life at risk in a survival situation??? The very nature of the term "survival situation" means your life is already at risk is it not?..
You are in control of your reactions facing a predicament, you'd be stupid to think that it couldn't get more life threatening if you started to do silly, risky things. Just because your in a dire situation it dosen't mean its ok to take big risky actions that could result in death, especially to achieve things that aren't immediately essential. When you face these situations you should strive to slow-down, calm yourself, review your situation, kit and options, think what's essential. For god sake don't start by climbing the tallest tree in the jungle.

Any updates on the severity of his injuries?

JohnH

Dec 12, 2008
Portsmouth
The one thing most survival experts say is that if lost, follow a river downstream to find a way out of whatever situation your in! BG explained that that situatins is great anywhere except Africa, where following water downstream you could lose the river into a massive aquafir (sp) so follow it upstream!! Damn good advice if you ask me! How to get out of mud holes that litteraly suck you under, by using a stick. I know that people can get this stuff on "propper" survival courses, but the general public don't do survival courses do they so if by watching this stuff the ysimply carry a big stick when out walking somewhere then that fact just might save their lives. I have learned my survival training in the forces and a lot of the things he does echo's, all be it a bit more extreme, standard military training.

Bearing in mind his training, it's not surprising. For all of BG's detractors, I quite like his programmes. While everyone whinges about his style and the 'exhibitionism', can anyone claim that he is lying? Is anything that he shows actually wrong? He's a performing monkey for Channel 4 and he brings in the viewers. You couldn't really use his programmes as a learning tool in the same way as Ray Mears' but it is entertainment nonetheless - that's all it is meant to be.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You are in control of your reactions facing a predicament, you'd be stupid to think that it couldn't get more life threatening if you started to do silly, risky things. Just because your in a dire situation it dosen't mean its ok to take big risky actions that could result in death, especially to achieve things that aren't immediately essential. When you face these situations you should strive to slow-down, calm yourself, review your situation, kit and options, think what's essential. For god sake don't start by climbing the tallest tree in the jungle.

Any updates on the severity of his injuries?

Sometimes you are left with little choice about what to do as the situation can dictate your actions.I never said it was OK to take bigger risks than necsessary only that in certain situations you may have to. I spent 2 years in the jungle in French Guyane and luckily never had to use my "survival training" .

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just do a search for Bear Grylls on the site and you'll find loads of threads, almost none of them complimentary.

It's been discussed thoroughly since he popped out from under a stone.

We're not allowed to say what we really think of the guy because it would breach site rules but you'll soon get the gist. :tapedshut

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yep... That'll do it....
7325.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE