Bear Grylls injured

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gloomhound

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2008
Charleston
Not sure if this is common knowledge but:

'Man Vs. Wild' Adventurer Injured in Antarctica

NEW YORK — Bear Grylls, rugged adventurer and star of the Discovery Channel's popular "Man vs. Wild" series, has been injured during an expedition in Antarctica, the network said.

A fall resulted in a shoulder injury to Grylls, who is en route back home to Britain for medical treatment and assessment of the injury's severity, according to Discovery.

He was not filming for Discovery, but instead was taking part in an independent expedition.

The 34-year-old Grylls has hosted "Man vs. Wild," on which he strands himself in remote locations to demonstrate survival techniques, since November 2006.

The former British Special Forces member recently published "Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques for the Most Dangerous Places on Earth."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,463165,00.html

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
I wish him a speedy recovery :rolleyes: as I would anyone who is injured.
I wonder if his next programe will be

BEAR GRYLLS SURVIVES THE NHS HIS HARDEST MISSION TO DATE :D

Oh I forgot he does not appear to live in the real world, I expect will opt for private health care !!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Not a big fan but, if it is true, I wish him a speedy recovery.

I hadn't realised the title of his programme: Man Vs. Wild. That's where, I suspect, he differs from the great Raymondo and most of us on here. We don't see it as a competition.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
fell and hurt his shoulder? pah.
How many little old women slipped on the ice and injured their shoulders today?! you don't have to go far to get such an injury. Im disapointed I thought he had been mangled by a leopard seal whislt attempting to eat it or something. To be honest, really really honest, Id just being reeling out a social nicety if I said "I wish him a speedy recovery" I have no empathy if its speedy or not.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Not a big fan but, if it is true, I wish him a speedy recovery.

I hadn't realised the title of his programme: Man Vs. Wild. That's where, I suspect, he differs from the great Raymondo and most of us on here. We don't see it as a competition.

I suppose that's more a difference in presentation: Man against the wild, that's the macho way Bear's program are presented, as opposed to Ray's, whose programmes advocate working with the wild. After all, they are only the messengers. We shouldn't shoot the messengers should we!

I wish him well and a speedy recovery too.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
In the words of Miss World, "I wish him a speedy recovery, he's a saint. I should like world peace, to see the world and work with children"*

*the above may contain hypocrisy and/or nuts.

I'm firmly in Firecrest's camp.

Alan

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
fell and hurt his shoulder? pah.
How many little old women slipped on the ice and injured their shoulders today?! you don't have to go far to get such an injury. Im disapointed I thought he had been mangled by a leopard seal whislt attempting to eat it or something. To be honest, really really honest, Id just being reeling out a social nicety if I said "I wish him a speedy recovery" I have no empathy if its speedy or not.

I see your point about others getting injured who havent put themselves in harms way, particularly when the injury doesnt sound life threatening. But be honest, would you be posting to register your lack of empathy if was another T.V. personality; one that hadnt earnt the scorn of the so-called online 'community', such as RM or Bruce Parry? I am sure Bear will be most put out to read about your apparrent lack of concern for his well being when he comes on here :bluThinki

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I see your point about others getting injured who havent put themselves in harms way, particularly when the injury doesnt sound life threatening. But be honest, would you be posting to register your lack of empathy if was another T.V. personality; one that hadnt earnt the scorn of the so-called online 'community', such as RM or Bruce Parry? I am sure Bear will be most put out to read about your apparrent lack of concern for his well being when he comes on here :bluThinki

I probably didnt word that as best I could, It's not because its Bear or however I feel about him. I just don't care, and I don't like wearing a social mask and pretending I do. And hoping or wishing a speeding recovery is neither use nor orniment.

If I can clarify that further, Id feel empathy if somebody had deliberately hurt him, and I'm sure he wouldnt be upset at people not feeling empathy for his injury, he knows where I'm coming from. If I hurt myself, i don't care about that either.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
dont forget his work with kids via his books. cheesy for us but kids love that and if it makes them survival/outdoors/bushcraft curious then that cant be a bad thing.

anyone who promotes the outdoors and activities needs our support otherwise we're as ignorant as rest of the sheeple.

rm mellowed out as he got older and wider so give it a bit and we'll have a series on bearcraft which will likely involve living in caves and eating honey :)

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
dont forget his work with kids via his books. cheesy for us but kids love that and if it makes them survival/outdoors/bushcraft curious then that cant be a bad thing.

anyone who promotes the outdoors and activities needs our support otherwise we're as ignorant as rest of the sheeple. SNIP........

I've typed and deleted this once, but decided to post.

Found on internet:
he(BG) wrote: 'We have been hampered by the strong winds today, which have stopped us getting into the high mountains. The winds race from the South Pole outwards and when they race you really know about it.
'If the winds abate we will grab our opportunity and move in to the high mountains tomorrow. If not we'll start this tricky procedure of getting the jetski and inflatable down to the water... the Russian scientists have got wind of everything that we are up to, which has apparently confirmed in their minds, that the Brits are mad: 'nobody takes a jetski to Antartica or tries to rest on a vertical ice edge!'.

His forte is do or die which I am sure is true of the SAS.
But suggesting to kids (and big kids too) that drinking your own urine, in a survival situation, is a good thing is really taking the ***s; swimming down a raging river pretending not to have a pfd (I wear mine outside my shirt); and swimming blind through a tree choked wash beggars belief ( I know enough about diving not to attempt this with scuba gear let alone breath holding ) are 'correct' survival tactics is wrong and I suggest dangerous to Joe Public.

9 out of ten of the 'sheeple' who I have encountered only want to know if I drink my own ****. I don't go out into the wild to 'survive' but to enjoy nature and not fight it/her.

A significant number of people have difficulty in telling whether Coronation Street is a soap or documentary tv so difficult survival concepts, should not in my view, be conflated just to make dramatic tele.

So thats why I think BG doesn't promote the outdoors as it should be seen and the ignorance is his or more likely his producers.

And relax .....

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
I've typed and deleted this once, but decided to post.

Found on internet:
he(BG) wrote: 'We have been hampered by the strong winds today, which have stopped us getting into the high mountains. The winds race from the South Pole outwards and when they race you really know about it.
'If the winds abate we will grab our opportunity and move in to the high mountains tomorrow. If not we'll start this tricky procedure of getting the jetski and inflatable down to the water... the Russian scientists have got wind of everything that we are up to, which has apparently confirmed in their minds, that the Brits are mad: 'nobody takes a jetski to Antartica or tries to rest on a vertical ice edge!'.

His forte is do or die which I am sure is true of the SAS.
But suggesting to kids (and big kids too) that drinking your own urine, in a survival situation, is a good thing is really taking the ***s; swimming down a raging river pretending not to have a pfd (I wear mine outside my shirt); and swimming blind through a tree choked wash beggars belief ( I know enough about diving not to attempt this with scuba gear let alone breath holding ) are 'correct' survival tactics is wrong and I suggest dangerous to Joe Public.

9 out of ten of the 'sheeple' who I have encountered only want to know if I drink my own ****. I don't go out into the wild to 'survive' but to enjoy nature and not fight it/her.

A significant number of people have difficulty in telling whether Coronation Street is a soap or documentary tv so difficult survival concepts, should not in my view, be conflated just to make dramatic tele.

So thats why I think BG doesn't promote the outdoors as it should be seen and the ignorance is his or more likely his producers.

And relax .....

my nightmare is getting in a group survival situation (like a plane crash or similar) and having someone (probably with massive "don't-argue" muscles) say "don't worry, i can lead the group, i can remember what BG said to do ! -- now, we need to head off immediately over that ridge, through the jungle so we can build a zorb out of vines and roll down the valley to home."

I've had a shoulder injury before and it was really painful. I wish him a speedy recovery. A friend of mine was a survival consultant on one of Bear's shows, and he reminded me that the show - like all shows (I work in a major TV broadcast organization) - is as much marketing and production towards the goal of a packagable piece of TV programming, than it is reality. Honestly - how much of what you watch on TV is 'real'?

Mungo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE