Bear Grylls Clothing Range!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Blimey is there really any need to go on a righteous crusade over this? I think some of you need to get down from your horses for a minute. Craghopper make good, affordable gear, why should this typical corporate dalliance make any difference whatsoever? Yes he makes silly programmes, but he's hardly the devil incarnate is he...he is also more likely to actually use and abuse his gear on a much more regular basis than a lot of people here!

If you like craghopper products, then carry on buying, there's no reason why you can't just ignore the Grylls range. :rolleyes:

i couldn't agree more. :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I don't do Craphoppers anyway. The only pair of trousers I got from them wore through in no time at all and most of the stuff would go off like a fireball if it got within a foot of the fire.

I think it's perfectly suited to the Teddy Bear. It's all synthetic, overrated and dangerous in the outdoors.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Blimey is there really any need to go on a righteous crusade over this? I think some of you need to get down from your horses for a minute. Craghopper make good, affordable gear, why should this typical corporate dalliance make any difference whatsoever? Yes he makes silly programmes, but he's hardly the devil incarnate is he...he is also more likely to actually use and abuse his gear on a much more regular basis than a lot of people here!

If you like craghopper products, then carry on buying, there's no reason why you can't just ignore the Grylls range. :rolleyes:

Well said Scotty............Its all a bit pathetic really, Im not over keen on his programmes, but his name on some clothes so +~@%ing what

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Youi guys miss the main selling point of these clothes.
They have been tested to both be suitable for a day length trip, and can still be worn when you are back in the hotel! :D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I love crag' trousers esp' as you can get them cheap in TK Maxx, Debenhams or the bay.
I've got c. 10 pairs so that they'll last for ages.

My oldest pair are c. 5 yrs and I like the fit of them, no constrictions anywhere.

I call them mars bar trousers as they're good for work,rest and play.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I've got to disagree with you here. If you had money like he obviously has, you too could climb Everest or go on the highest paragliding flight ever. He is not a super hero and does nothing that the ordinary person couldn't do if they were fortunate to have a wedge in the bank.

Spam, If the guy is ex SAS I am sure he is capable of stuff that (a) Iam not as I speak and (b) I would probably struggle even with training (and money).
I have to agree with the others on this one - if the gear is good quality, right price I will buy it - if I now it has had a really thorough test by someone I credit, better still.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
He was TA SAS! He did it on weekends! SAS Troopers are not superhuman, I know as I used to go fishing with a guy who went on to pass selection and shoot the West Side Boys in Sierra Leone! He was about 11 stone in weight, not a hard bloke, and looked the spit of Gareth Southgate.

Do not be under any illusions as to the limits of what Teddy can do. He is no more capable of doing anything that you and I can do with a bit of practise and a chunk of cash.

Jun 2, 2007
He was TA SAS! He did it on weekends! SAS Troopers are not superhuman, I know as I used to go fishing with a guy who went on to pass selection and shoot the West Side Boys in Sierra Leone! He was about 11 stone in weight, not a hard bloke, and looked the spit of Gareth Southgate.

Do not be under any illusions as to the limits of what Teddy can do. He is no more capable of doing anything that you and I can do with a bit of practise and a chunk of cash.

Urrrm and so was Chris Ryan !! & i've never heard that you can pay for passing selection.i could do a lot of what mears does with cash and a tiny amount of practice.

As for Bear i like him and his programs got a lot of respect for the guy, a lot of what i've read on this thread smacks of pure jealousy at least he gets down & dirty, OH how stupid of me i forgot his name is,nt Ray Mears who sells & promotes stuff too, but then i'm not a kit SNOB like a few on here.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Yep,
He was a weekend warrior (no disrespect to to our Ta lads and lassies),with privileges not available to us as he grew up.
I don't doubt the mans abilities, but just don't like his programmes.
An SAS Trooper is fit,but the main attributes are good commonsense,mental and emotional stamina.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I spotted the new "Bear" clothing range today in my leading outdoor retailer and was just about to post a thread on said clothing. no idea it would have caused this much outrage!:eek:. i personally would not wear an item of clothing just because it says somebodies name on it and would definitely not wear an item of clothing with Bear Grylls on it. that said however, it doesnt make the rest of craghoppers clothing any less reputable and when all is said and done, nobody is forcing you to buy it!

just my tuppence worth!:D

Dan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Urrrm and so was Chris Ryan !! & i've never heard that you can pay for passing selection.i could do a lot of what mears does with cash and a tiny amount of practice.

As for Bear i like him and his programs got a lot of respect for the guy, a lot of what i've read on this thread smacks of pure jealousy at least he gets down & dirty, OH how stupid of me i forgot his name is,nt Ray Mears who sells & promotes stuff too, but then i'm not a kit SNOB like a few on here.

Fine. I tell you what, you go into your local woods with Joe Public roaming about and do things Bears' way, I'll do the same but take Rays' more relaxed method and we'll see who has the coppers round first! I reckon the first sight a dog walker has of you biting into their Yorkshire Terriers' spine will probably have the cops down on you in no time!

The reason Ray is liked over preference to Bear is because most here like to practise Bushcraft as opposed to Twitcraft!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Fine. I tell you what, you go into your local woods with Joe Public roaming about and do things Bears' way, I'll do the same but take Rays' more relaxed method and we'll see who has the coppers round first! I reckon the first sight a dog walker has of you biting into their Yorkshire Terriers' spine will probably have the cops down on you in no time!

The reason Ray is liked over preference to Bear is because most here like to practise Bushcraft as opposed to Twitcraft!

Beat me too it.........:You_Rock_ :lmao: :lmao:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>

Jealousy doesn't enter into it, I have no cause to be jealous about peoples lifestyles, I like my own just fine. A lot of people people on this forum slate Grylls for publicly promoting downright dangerous ways of getting out of a survival situation.

Fortunately most knowledgeable people here know better than to emulate the foolhardy stunts he gets up to in his TV series but there are people out there that might think it is the right way to act and frankly that could result in making a bad situation a damn sight worse.

I have no problem with people becoming celebrities if that's what floats their boat but what I do have a very big problem with is giving people bad information disguised as "expertise" and that is why I will never have a shred of respect for Grylls and I certainly would not use a product or company that puts money in his pockets.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm sure Spam didn't mean buying your way through a course and as for Ray, yes he promotes good gear that works,but there's nothing on the High St being sold just 'cos his names on it (I believe).
Mr. Grylls,in my opinion is taking advantage of things to make a cheap buck,i mean Ray has done his thing since a boy for himself then found a way to make a living out of it.
I've known of him for years,but Bear just appeared on t.v a few months ago.

Hell, maybe it's not Mr. Grylls' idea totally and he's already sold out his name to a company.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There is no way you could buy your way through a Military course, even if you wanted to! What I am talking about is doing the supposedly extraordinary things he does. It is the same as Richard Branson, he has loads of cash so was able to have a go at going round the world in a hot air balloon umpteen times. If I had the cash, i could do that too. I wouldn't though, I'd do something a bit more worthwhile such as buying a massive plot of land, turning it back to forest and conducting courses in there for the folks who want to spend time in the woods without destroying what is there. the rest would have the hounds set on them, and I'd have the most expensive mutts known to man! :D

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I wonder if those expressing MORAL OUTRAGE at the incredulity of it all, will also stop buying goods from Paramo, Berghaus, Swanndri, Snugpak, Alpkit and countless other gear companies who manufacture their products in the far east, particuarly in china with it's questionable human rights record? After all, I think sweat shops and a complete lack of employment laws are a step up from some dodgy information in a tv show, no? :rolleyes: Nope, you'll just carry on in blissful ignorance. You attack craghoppers because it is easy to do so and because it is happening on your doorstep, to go beyond that and criticise the practices in far away lands would open up a can of worms you aren't prepared to deal with and also open yourself upto a certain degree of culpability...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE