Bear Grylls Clothing Range!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sorry Barn Owl, that would be bigamy and my wife would not be happy! Saying that, if you are better looking then her I could be tempted to trade her in for a new model! :D

And with regards to what ScottC says, Alpkit gear is made in the UK, or so I am lead to believe. Swanndri has only recently moved to China but then most clothing these days is made there so I hope you are walking arround in your Birthday suit as I wouldn't like to think you weren't a hypocrite! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wonder if those expressing MORAL OUTRAGE at the incredulity of it all, will also stop buying goods from Paramo, Berghaus, Swanndri, Snugpak, Alpkit and countless other gear companies who manufacture their products in the far east, particuarly in china with it's questionable human rights record? After all, I think sweat shops and a complete lack of employment laws are a step up from some dodgy information in a tv show, no? :rolleyes: Nope, you'll just carry on in blissful ignorance. You attack craghoppers because it is easy to do so and because it is happening on your doorstep, to go beyond that and criticise the practices in far away lands would open up a can of worms you aren't prepared to deal with and also open yourself upto a certain degree of culpability...

Paramo - None
Beghaus - None
Swandri - None
Snugpak - only made in UK stuff
Alpkit - None
Down products - None
All home timber FSC certified
Employer has won numerous awards for ethical sourcing, product improvements for health and a large number of environmental awards for creation of initiatives.

So yes, it absolutely does matter to me int he round and no, I also wouldn't consider buying products from the real nasties like Nike etc.

I do have a real problem with dangerous and foolish advice offered by that bloke. I also reserve the right to vote with my wallet just as I do on other issues that are a concern to me.

For the record however blindly not purchasing from the poorest of countries denies vital income to some of the world's most threatened people. A little research can show that purchasing from ethical, locally owned businesses where the profits are deployed into the local economy can be hugely beneficial

Red

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Doesn't Paramo produce products in one of the S. American countries ensuring good working practice for the employees ?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just an aside,but my Gran b.1894 always told me from when a boy that the yellow man shall rule the Earth.
No offence meant in anyway,but she always said that.

She died before I was old enough to ask what she was on about.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Have just read right through this thread and have come to the conclusion.... There ain't more queer than folk.... We do get stressed over the most silly of things... I don't like this super hero Bare bloke, but it ain't gonna stop me from buying my fav trousers cos Craghoppers are paying him a few quid to wear their stuff...

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
If someone has an objection to buying a brand on ethical grounds that is understandable, however ceasing to buy from a brand that you previously thought well of just on the basis that a cetain tv personality has endorsed it just puzzles me in truth - are you afraid that the other boys and girls will laugh at you? It reminds me of school mufty days, when I used to fake illness because I did not want to be teased for wearing the ASDA brand jeans that my mum had got for me. Thankfully I for one have grown out of this - I wear ASDA jeans for work sometimes and their great! On a more bushcraft related basis I found on a Woodlore course that I did a few years ago that Ray Mears thought the Swedish army trangia to be a load of s$@* - I swear by mine. Will that mean that a few of you will now throw yours away?

I stayed out of the Bear Grylls 'shooting gallery' that went on on here at the time, as I felt that everyone just seemed to be jumping on the band waggon in order to appear a more credible 'outdoors type' - 'did you see him on tv last night he did this, he did that tehehehehehe but we know better dont we(?)'. I for one will go on buying craghoppers gear as I have found it to be affordable and fairly robust, irrespective of weather mr Grylls endorses it or not.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Walking through Blacks yesterday I spotted a shirt with the Bear Grylls Logo! It seems that he has teamed up with Craghoppers to bring out a range of clothing for outdoor use. Not too much info around yet but I have been impressed with craghoppers kit in the past - I think its called 'the survival range'

http://www.craghoppers.com/CraghoppersSite/pages/cm/cm.asp?sCCPage=manvswild2

Good luck to the guy, I don't like his programmes, and I won't pay for ANY overpriced kit, but he's just making a living for crying out loud.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My problem is not with the gear - its with the fact that the firm is paying him for an endorsement. The gear will be no better or worse than it ever was - but publicising and paying the guy comes out of the profits of the firm which I will in part provide. Since I really don't want him to make any money from me or gain any additional respectability or airtime, it makes sense to spend my money elsewhere. I'm not wildly heated about it - but I do tend to buy based on a number of criteria. Not feathering the nest of a pillock isn't my key criteria but its a good enough reason for me. To me consumer power is one of the most positive of influences. I recall an initative a while ago when a large number of people wrote to Helmans enquiring if their mayo was made with free range eggs. Apparently it wasn't economically viable to do so. They have since discovered that its not economically viable not to :). A good use of wallet power - no threats, no heat, just a large number of e-mails saying "I'll buy another brand - thanks for the info".

Red

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
:
Have just read right through this thread and have come to the conclusion.... There ain't more queer than folk.... We do get stressed over the most silly of things... I don't like this super hero Bare bloke, but it ain't gonna stop me from buying my fav trousers cos Craghoppers are paying him a few quid to wear their stuff...

I was only joking with Spam Jonny,honest,I'm happily harried...i mean married.:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What a to do :dunno:

Okay, HWMBLT likes Craghoppers breeks, I buy them for him when I get a good deal, otherwise I just make them for him.
I don't rate the antics (and, yes, I do use the word deliberately) of Bear Grylls, but then I rarely watch TV. The few programmes I have watched of Ray Mears I enjoyed, got a bit miffed he didn't give more information sometimes, but that was my only gripe.

I like the craft element in bushcraft, not wee doilies and cut out card bits, but real handcrafts. A skill set that is only limited by your effort and imagination.

If all of this brouhaha bothers you enough, folks, make your own :D there are enough people on here with the knowledge of how to do so, and prepared to help others find out how.
And, if you really don't have the time or inclination, there are an awful lot of crafts folk on the forum who will make stuff for you, right here in the UK, good quality and very fairly priced. (And that's not a sales plug, I'm swamped with orders again :rolleyes: )

cheers,
Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Doesn't it seem a bit cheap and tacky.

I mean was there any clothing with like, Chris Bonnington or Alan Hinkes,Edmund Hilary,John (Lofty) Wiseman or the like produced ?

Not that I know of.They may have endorsed them but not had their name all over the product itself.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Errm... Who is Bear Grylls, and why is he wearing my trousers?:confused:

He must have been dropped 5 miles away in a howler , made shelter under a tesco bag or thirty,got a drink from sqweezing some horse poo , whilst negotiating the mountains of molehills before devouring Trixie the Poodle then scaling the bastion of Snufkin Castle to take the said leggings:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE