Craghopper 'Bear Grylls' Nosquito Long-sleeved Adventure Travel Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Has it altered the price of the garments since his logo was added I know if you have a look at the differnce in price between say TFG cammo gear mossy oak etc no 2 are the same

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
...............the kit itself is good but we don't want to be seen to endorse Bear Grylls.

Would you want to be seen wearing a t-shirt that endorsed somebody you disapproved of or didn't suit your image in public places?

Personally I don't like logo festooned t-shirts or clothing, you are effectively paying them for the privelege of advertising them or their product. Would Bear Grylls wear a t-shirt with anyone of our pictures or names on it, unless he received a large splodge of wonga??? Its like Beckham, I don't wear a shirt with his name on it and he does'nt wear one with mine on it........an amicable agreement.

Added to which I don't like Craggies either, not that I hate their or anything I have tried their kit but it just does'nt feel right for me personally I wear other gear.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Well put Alex, i actually like craghoppers gear i also like a lot of other outdoor clothing manufacturers but i think they have made a mistake that by thinking that putting someones name on it they would sell more. I am not a big fan of the Bear gryllis programmes not my cup of tea, i do however like Ray mears but i certainly wouldnt buy clothing with his name on it.

Personally I don't like logo festooned t-shirts or clothing, you are effectively paying them for the privelege of advertising them or their product. Would Bear Grylls wear a t-shirt with anyone of our pictures or names on it, unless he received a large splodge of wonga??? Its like Beckham, I don't wear a shirt with his name on it and he does'nt wear one with mine on it........an amicable agreement.

Added to which I don't like Craggies either, not that I hate their or anything I have tried their kit but it just does'nt feel right for me personally I wear other gear.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Does anyone know if Crags do sizing above 46" chest which is supposedly their XXL - I like the style of some of their range but the sizing is ridiculous :(

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have recently got back from a little 'break' in Borneo where I used this shirt. It was pretty good but I do have one niggle about the sleeves. When rolled up and the wearer is sweating like there was no tomorrow (as I was), the sleeves tend to sag as though coming undone. This is not a major failing but did become quite annoying as the day progressed. My other 'wet' shirt was a Royal Robbins one bought many years ago which was actually a great deal better - no sleeve agonies and a better, more comfortable (less slippery) fabric to wear. In spite of the synthetic fabric of the shirt, I was not best impressed by its drying time. My Fjallraven poly-cotton trousers dried quicker than the shirt! Maybe our Teddy Grylls didn't try the gear out in jungle/tropical/dipterocarp forest conditions...

Back home, the shirt is comfy to wear, so I think I'll give it a muted two cheers and think twice before taking it to the tropics again.

jameshs

Oct 23, 2007
London
looking around for shirts I bought the Ch BG Nosquito Laredo Long-Sleeved Shirt and Nosquito Lite Long-Sleeved Shirt - liking everything but the logo.

Tried picking it off - disaster

Then I tried sewing 10mm black elastic tape over the logo - and hey presto a neat and useful modification - I doubled the tape and sewed the edges and the middle to produce two 'loops' which happen to fit a tea spoon (carved of course) and pen.

I did the same to the Sherman Gilet

So why buy these items - I tend to run hot and do not like fleece unless it is V cold. I recently tried all the kit on a woodlore camp craft course. Day 1 wore a T shirt - this is just not comfortable for doing lots of work and walking through scrub. Day 2-5 wore the Laredo and Nosquito and these were extremely comfortable - sweated like a pig chopping down trees, limbing, them, sectioning them and dragging the timber around - this was awr swinging work with axes and the shirts felt comfortable at all times - even after being drenched in sweat they dried incredibly quickly leaving me comfortable and dry. I wear a lot of spandex stuff for competitive rowing - and these shirts performed way better.

Other participants commented on how useful the retaining loops were as i was always tea spoon at the ready!

I also used the Nosquito trousers - which were very light and comfortable (would nto be good in the cold) but they have no washed up well - holding onto the dirt and badly marked from axe sharpening slurry!

Would throughly recommend the modded shirts!!

I agree with Tiley about the sleeve issue - but for me it was just a bit of a wardrobe malfunction, and never interfered with my active use of the shirts.

James

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Thought I would add my comments to this thread.

I am not to fussed about labels and who they link to, having used crag kiwi trousers for some years and found them excellent I thought I would give these shirts a try, also they were half price in cotswolds).

I bought 2 shirts, and used both for about 7 days in total each. The first half of which was on the week long woodcraft course and the second on a paddling trip in Sweden. Both shirts were left in a bin in a hotel room in Sweden at the end of my trip due to them falling apart!

Both shirts wore thread bear in very quick time and also the stitching gave way in the arm pit. Normally I would have kept them and returned them to crag hoppers but having recently returned a pair of BG trousers that had stitching fail on the cargo pockets after getting snagged up and only having had them sent back to me saying they do not have the facility to process this item a decided to bin them.

In conclusion at even half the recommended price they are not worth the money! :(

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
erm... soryy if i;m wrong, but has anyone asked if it's mosquito replency works??? some of us poor'uns suffer alot from these buggers.

If the mozzy replency works then i'm willing to fork out the extra tenner

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
I did watch a few mozzies land on the shirt, try and stick me then flew away rather sharp ish if that helps! Still needed a head net though

H

He' s left the building

You could also use permethrin liquid on your usual clothing, one application lasts two weeks: http://www.travelpharm.com/index.cf...ect/clothing_treatment_permethrin_nomad_100ml

I've used it myself in Central American rainforest, nothing comes within inches when you've just applied it, after a couple of weeks mossies will land very briefly and then fly off without biting through the shirt, then performance tails off and you know it's time for another application.

Good for mossie nets and clothing.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
erm... soryy if i;m wrong, but has anyone asked if it's mosquito replency works??? some of us poor'uns suffer alot from these buggers.

If the mozzy replency works then i'm willing to fork out the extra tenner

I wore a nosquito top and bottoms during down time in iraq, after having them sent out. and i must say that yes i do think that they work, and very comfy too even in high dry heat. i have worn CH for quite a while and i think the're ace, i recently bought a pair of the cargo expedition trs with the aquadry water proof system and can't recomend them enough, V comfy wind and water proof but because of the boot cut style here is enough air flow to keep the inside from ever feeling damp even when hill walking at a good speed,

and to be honest iv'e never cared about labels/endorsments, if it works for me then great.:)

I bought the trousers and jacket, mainly as a lightweight camo working gear for photography / nature watching (and also because I got a good deal on it when on holiday)
I have worn the trousers on a week long camp in a pretty midge infected hell hole and got no bites on my legs but wore my kilt on the last night and the bloody things chewed me through my wool socks!!
I like craghoppers gear. I use a pair of their heavier canvas trousers for Forest School and Scout activities and have never had a problem with them, they're pretty tough. I wouldn't want to use bears camo trousers anywhere near a spark though. They do, however dry out quickly which was a bonus this week!

Dec 16, 2007
the loops at the hem are to attach to your trousers (there are matching press stud loops at the waist)

This is what I thought when I got mine and I too live in the stuff as I find it is good BG or plain.
I contacted CH and they say they are just drying loops as the shirt kept popping off the trouser studs.
All the new shirts now seem to have the loops in a different material with DRYING LOOP stitched to it. This is great as the local magpies seem to nick all the pegs off my washing line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE