Bear Grylls Clothing Range!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Just 'cos they have his name on them does not mean they are any better. In fact they probably have shelled out tonnes of cash for his endorsement.

You are right the endorsement means nothing but if there has been design changes which improve the kit it may be worth looking at. Personally a bear grylls logo would be one of the last labels I would choose on my kit but Craghoppers are usually well priced and do the job required.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Makes a difference to me. I won't put one penny in the guys pocket - and I have written to Craghoppers to tell them them that I will no longer purchase their products!

Red

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Woohoo - a new uniform to wear! So I can make all my friends jealous of my new uber-kit when I'm out pretending to be lost. :D

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Makes a difference to me. I won't put one penny in the guys pocket - and I have written to Craghoppers to tell them them that I will no longer purchase their products!

Red

Maybe we need to club together and get British Red a Bear Grylls sniper rifle. I'm sure he could find a suitable target! :D

Geoff

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Come on, its a great idea

When ever we see a person wearing that label we can snigger into our hands like Mutley, and they will wonder what is so amusing.

Think of the fun we will have!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Dammit,
and only this weekend I bought a Craghopper shirt. I would otherwise have been taking a very similar stance to British Red. There aren't many clothing ranges that I'd endorse without reservation (but I'm still on the hunt for a good pair of trousers) as I often find that as soon as I do, another customer finds fault or something proves to be below par.
Its probably about time that products be endorsed by Mr Smith of Anytown, who bought a set twelve years ago and has never had a problem! Or Sammy the tramp who has ben wearing them for four years without washing and they're still going strong!

Me, Cynical, surely not.

Ogri the trog

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
They may just be filling a gap in the "adventure" market. Dangerous clothing that gets you into trouble:). Boots that seep oil from the soles, jackets with built-in noise emitters that go off in avalanche areas....

I best check my new craghopper trousers for labels when I get home, bought a pair in the january sales and the first time I wore them I ended up paddling down a river of human remains.:rolleyes:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
But where does it end? If I'm wearing cursed clothes I'd like to know about it.

Perhaps I've got it the wrong way round, might check the label and it says...

"Lining is a patented weave of kevlar/asbestos giving guarenteed protection against alligators, sharks and lava to a depth of 1m"

...in which case I'll happily smear myself in seal fat, tie a chain to my leg and use myself as live bait for Orca fishing.;)

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Hi guys,
long time since I've posted and hope you all well. To be fair, Bear Grylls is capable of things that i am not so I don't want to knock him.......too much.
Names on gear is an interesting subject. I recently bought a lure fishing rod made by 'Fox' but designed and endorsed by Mick Brown - a very experienced predator angler. Mick spent some time getting the action design 'just right' and its a great rod.

However, Mick and others get very frustrated when the manufacturers DONT listen and don't have 100% say on how the kit is marketed.
Another great predator angler - Charlie Bettel - always stated that he is far too picky to be a consultant. He would be impelled to speak out if he disagreed with the manfacturers and thus no one would touch him - too risky.

So I suppose it depends on whether Bear is designing and testing the gear and only adding his name if its great gear or just taking the cash for having his name on it.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Great shame! I love CragHopper gear, but I'm not a Bear fan, so I guess I'll be looking for alternatives now!

Dave

Red

Not wishing to provoke an arguement but if you like the clothing that they produce why should it stop you from buying it? :confused: I am sure the quality of their products has not changed. No one is even likely to recognise any logo and I cant see how they would associate you with Bear Grylls even if they did. Just because I wear my Sex Pistols t-shirt down the pub doesnt mean that I am going to swear in front of Tim Grundy on Thames Television. If worst comes to worst you could even remove any logo's or brand name with a bit of care and patience. Sorry but it seems to me that you are all getting wound up over a problem that does not exist - there are more than enough real issues in life to take a stand over. If I have missed the point and for each garment that gets bought a puppy dies then please tell me - until then I will keep buying their gear.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
So the boy has deal sponsoring his:

- Watch.........displayed to camera at every opportunity........which way is sarf,....
- knife...........not my cup of char, mainly for the US market anyway methinks....
- clothes........Craghoppers are fine, but there is stuff just as nice and better out there....

I suppose his shoes will be next, I keep seeing him wearing Merrell's. So, I wonder if his management have tapped them up yet?

As for the parachutes he destroys............gimme, gimme .... £3K a time.........

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Not wishing to provoke an arguement but if you like the clothing that they produce why should it stop you from buying it? :confused: I am sure the quality of their products has not changed. No one is even likely to recognise any logo and I cant see how they would associate you with Bear Grylls even if they did. Just because I wear my Sex Pistols t-shirt down the pub doesnt mean that I am going to swear in front of Tim Grundy on Thames Television. If worst comes to worst you could even remove any logo's or brand name with a bit of care and patience. Sorry but it seems to me that you are all getting wound up over and issue that does not exist. If I have missed the point and for each garment that gets bought a puppy dies then please tell me - until then I will keep buying their gear.

Oh no - you just caused the death of a puppy by posting :lmao:

I think as long as the price isn't inflated by the association then who really cares, it's just marketing and I think we're all big enough to see past that. There are only a couple of Craghoppers items that I like and I don't own any, TBH I'd rather go for the non-BG item but if it's the same thing with a reasonably discrete logo, I don't really care. Now, if they produce a pair of adventure trousers with his face on the seat :D - only kidding - he's ex-SAS and would beat me up for suggesting that :lmao:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Blimey is there really any need to go on a righteous crusade over this? I think some of you need to get down from your horses for a minute. Craghopper make good, affordable gear, why should this typical corporate dalliance make any difference whatsoever? Yes he makes silly programmes, but he's hardly the devil incarnate is he...he is also more likely to actually use and abuse his gear on a much more regular basis than a lot of people here!

If you like craghopper products, then carry on buying, there's no reason why you can't just ignore the Grylls range. :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
To be fair, Bear Grylls is capable of things that i am not so I don't want to knock him.......too much.

I've got to disagree with you here. If you had money like he obviously has, you too could climb Everest or go on the highest paragliding flight ever. He is not a super hero and does nothing that the ordinary person couldn't do if they were fortunate to have a wedge in the bank.

Personally, I think he is a twit. His programmes do nothing for me and do not inspire me to go outdoors in case I meet other wierdos like him swinging about in the trees to get a good view of something when there is no need. I can imagine my day getting spoilt by folk like him as I come across his crumpled form where he has took a fall and I am obliged to rescue his sorry butt.

He is a nobody as far as I am concerned, his programme, from what I've seen of it which was the first two episodes of his first series, was pure gore fest and twittery (if that is a word!), and any clothing he wears I'd probably steer clear of only because I think everything he does is wrong, so surely his clothing choice must be too!

Anyway, I own a Craggy shirt which is great and a fleece which is OK, but the trews don't come in bony butt size so I've never owned a pair although the original patterns I've seen look fantastic for outdoors use. This is just a marketing gimmick, but he is cashing in big style. Best of luck to King Twit, if I was in charge of programme productions he would be long gone by now.

Did I mention he's a twit?

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I couldn't give a rat’s bottom whose mug or moniker is on the label personally; if I like the look of it and the quality and price are right I'll adorn my carcass with it. The big problem for me Craggie wise is despite the fact that I think their clothing is well made, it is just too bloomin' small for me to wear :(

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I don't do the Craghoppers thing but even so you would have thought their advertising gurus would know what they are talking about because the last time I looked Mount Everest was in the Himalayers! Check out this Statement:

Trained by the British army as a survival expert, Bear's experiences include climbing Mount Everest, crossing the freezing north atlantic ocean in a small, open boat and climbing a Himalayan peak.:rolleyes:

How much do these people get paid!!:red:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE