Baofeng UV-5r

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My daughter and her fiance gave me said transceiver for Christmas but I didn't get a chance to play with it until the last couple of weeks.
For those who don't know, it's a 4 watt dual band amatuer radio operating on the 2 meter and 70 centimeter bands. It will also receive one the commercial Fm bands as well as the emergency services (police/fire/EMT) bands. And I believe on the local school system bands but I haven't had a chance to scan them yet.

I've changed the OEM antenna from the 3 inch (about) rubber duck to a half/quarter wave from Nagoya. It's a bit different to program manually but I've hit the local repeater from my house (about 3 miles) without any problem and I've been on the NOARC (North Okaloosa Amatuer radio Club) training net a couple of times.

Bottom line: This radio's not a Yaesu, but for the price (I know, it was a gift, but they list on Amazon for under $40 including charger and earbud/lapel mike) it's a great little radio! Anybody else tried it?

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Baofeng make some great value kit. A common moan is the battery can run a little hot in the case if your yapping on for a while but they are well worth the money.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Great little handheld, I have a 1/4 wave antenna for the car with a bnc pigtale, from my bedroom using biscuit tin as a base I have worked 12 mile direct. Value for the money, I would get a second battery as they just stop when the power drops rather than a gradual drop off.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I'm sure you can get yourself some sma connects make your own pigtails and fix 259 or NBC connectors and b
uild your own 2mtr dipoles and use it from home and really increase your range. I think radio shack in the US sell them already made up (pigtails) the radio is so versatile. I have even build a 2mtr and 70cms 1/4wave with counter poise and use it as a portable base unit, using a cut down length of wood sapling for a mast, simples!

just have a play round.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I've got on too, and as said programming the radio is hard work, buy the programming lead and program the radio via the computer software.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I've liked the idea of having a radio for a while now and this thread has given me a little inspiration to do some research and find out a little more. Just need a good reason to get one for passing the SWMBO test!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've liked the idea of having a radio for a while now and this thread has given me a little inspiration to do some research and find out a little more. Just need a good reason to get one for passing the SWMBO test!

Just remember to keep it legal and get your license before you transmit.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks. I wish the link gave more details though. It'd be nice to know the frequency range and power output; all it says is HF. That could be as simple as a one band 10 meter or as complex as everything from 60 meter to 6 meter. Gotta admit the price looks very good indeed a multiband.

Covert System

May 6, 2013
Nottingham
Word of caution on the Baofeng UV-5r in the UK. These hand sets are not legal for transmitting in the UK but legal for reception. This is because the handset is able to transmit out of public bands on bandwidths that are controlled by licencing.

You can find reputable UK suppliers that will sell these items so that they can only receive.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Word of caution on the Baofeng UV-5r in the UK. These hand sets are not legal for transmitting in the UK but legal for reception. This is because the handset is able to transmit out of public bands on bandwidths that are controlled by licencing.

You can find reputable UK suppliers that will sell these items so that they can only receive.

Ummm. The same over here; and every country I know of. But that's the point of this radio and our discuscion. I'm a licensed ham. It's a ham radio. And when you program it (as I said though, programming is tricky as the owner's manual is really, really is bad) you can block transmission on the public service (polie, fire, ambulance, commercial, etc.) bands.

Last edited:

Covert System

May 6, 2013
Nottingham
The original thread starter was from Florida and what is legal in the USA is often not legal in the UK and as you rightly stated in other parts of the world.

Programming is not easy as you will find on YouTube videos giving instructions on how to program them or simply leave that side to those in the business that are reputable and will program the handset for UK use.

Cost is a factor in people buying these handset when the extra £10 being spent on a PMR446 radio is what these people should be doing to ensure that they are not infringing on other channels outside the normal frequency.

Although I have not got one, I have seen the YouTube videos and ot does look like a nice bit of kit, its a shame that they can't make them so that they are legal for UK use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE