Baofeng UV-5r

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Cost is a factor in people buying these handset when the extra £10 being spent on a PMR446 radio is what these people should be doing to ensure that they are not infringing on other channels outside the normal frequency.....Although I have not got one, I have seen the YouTube videos and ot does look like a nice bit of kit, its a shame that they can't make them so that they are legal for UK use.

As I said though, they're "ham" radios. They ARE legal in the UK, and most of the world, for those with a ham (amateur) radio license. That's what we were discussing; ham (amateur) radio rather than unlicensed PMR446. I know you can get a cheap "unlicnesed PMR radio BUT! They're rather useless to a licensed ham. You can't get onto 2 meters with it. You can't get onto 440 MHtz. You can't hit the repeaters. you can't contact the International Space Station, etc, etc. You can do ALL those LEGALLY (in the UK) with a Baofeng and a cheap, relatively easy ham license

The price of the Baofeng really isn't very much cheaper than "unlicensed" radios. BUT! It's fantastic when compared to other handheld hams. The Baofeng goes for about $40 whereas a comparable Yaesu handheld 2 meter/440 (I'm talking about 440 "licensed" ham frequencies) costs around $150.

And it's not really that difficult nor expensive to get the minimul license required for this radio (in the UK it's the Foundation license, here it's the Technician License) I passed the exam in less than 30 minutes on the first try with a near perfect score for a cost of $15. I don't believe it's much more difficult or expensive there.

Here's a UK link to get you started in amateur radio: www.rsgbbeta.org/portal

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Hampshire
Hi ..Just joined Bushcraft uk.. I am going to take my first exam soon. I have a uk bought UV5R from Sinotel.It was pre=programmed. If I punch in a Police frequency,it denies it.Same for marine and air-bands. so I'm unlikely to make a mistake. It's a great little starter radio. But for serious QRP I will be saving for a Yaesu 879D with some good batteries.:D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your serious about QRP work then get your Morse skills up to date and working, you'll do much better DX/QRP on the key than on the mike.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Agreed. Had my general license a little over a year and I still haven't been on HF. Trying to work the local training net every night but that's pretty minor voice on 2 meter.

I need to learn morse. packet, RTTY, PSK31, etc. For personal satisfaction I need to concentrate on morse. But If I'm ever going to get on the MARS net I eed to do the digtal modes. Probably a moot distinction for a while though as I likely won't be able to get an HF rig for at least another year. And that one will probably be a mobile.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE