Baofeng Fanboys & Fan Girls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've even used one of those cheap telescopic fibreglass flag poles (just not used the very thin top section 'cos it waves about too much). If the ground takes it, I hold it up using one of those screw-in washing line things - a metal one can be used as an earth as well :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I made some pole sections from a load of 22mm PVC pipe and a handful of straight connectors. If you cut four lengths of pipe to about 50 cm and solvent weld a Tee piece to one you use as a top you just slot them together. Then tie the top of the slim jim to the tee and use a bit of lace to hold it in place at the top you get quite a serviceable mast for about £7.
I used the 22mm pipe because when you wrap it in fabric tape it's just the right size to slot into molle. I can send a picture if that helps explain it.

Reactions: TeeDee

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I mean you can hang the slim jim antenna of anything non-metal, so it doesn't have to be up a pole, it's just that when I activate and chase SOTA I want as much height as I can get. I know people hang it out windows and such and any tree-branch would probably do too.

Another interesting option is the flower pot antenna. I've been tempted to try that out, but I'd need to get some suitable pipe first. :)

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I made a flower pot antenna last week, I've yet to try it in anger. I got a length of Black PCV pipe from screwfix for about £3.

You can get a couple of flower pot antennae out of the single 3 meter length so if there's another ham near you could could always have a building session.

Reactions: SaraR

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
I mean you can hang the slim jim antenna of anything non-metal, so it doesn't have to be up a pole, it's just that when I activate and chase SOTA I want as much height as I can get. I know people hang it out windows and such and any tree-branch would probably do too.

Another interesting option is the flower pot antenna. I've been tempted to try that out, but I'd need to get some suitable pipe first. :)
have you made the flower-pot antenna as yet...??

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
have you made the flower-pot antenna as yet...??
No, it’s one of those things I thing about doing but never get around to. Would have to buy coax cable and some pipes. Although I’ve recently found that you can buy short lenghts of pipe (at a premium price of course) on Amazon. Much cheaper from the local plumber’s supply shop of course, but if you don’t need 3 m of each, it is nice to be able to order shorter sections.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
T2lt ? No idea what one is lol
it is a portable easy to make antenna which can be tuned to 2m 11m 70cm and can easily be thrown in a backpack there are typically two [2] other names a vertical-dipole and a verticle-bazooka

Last edited:
Reactions: mikehill
Jun 28, 2021
West Midlands
I like the Baofeng handhelds, they are cheap and cheerful and if you break one you won't cry over the replacement costs. I've found from experience that the Nagoya Na-771 to be as good as the folding 'tactical' antennas and the radio works very well with a wire J Pole you can string up on a fence etc; I have one strung up about 3m outside my shack and that gets me easily into three local repeaters.

73, Tim

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
OK As it happens I have bought a pair of Baofeng radios, not at home at present so dont know which model.
You cannot make this too simple for me……I know nothing.
Do I need to programme them in some way and is Chirp the way to do it ?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
As there seem to be a bit of interest in Radios, I thought I would mention that after a facelift of my shack I have the following radios surplus, these are HF Radios although the

Yaesu FT991(not A) covers HF/VHF/UHF/AIRBand. SOLD
Icom 7300. SOLD

Icom 7600

The rigs are in excellent condition, and come with cables, Mikes etc, double boxed for safe posting. Google for full specs.
I intend to put these up for sale on Ham Radio sites, but thought I would offer them here before I do, as a few have expressed they would like to become licenced, etc, you do need a licence to transmit on these radios, but you don't need a licence to listen to QSO's CW,etc, you can learn a lot by listening.
These are ideal radios both for learners and licenced users.
So if anyone is interested then PM me for pics and info.

(Mods: if this bends or breaks the rules, please delete)

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
OK As it happens I have bought a pair of Baofeng radios, not at home at present so dont know which model.
You cannot make this too simple for me……I know nothing.
Do I need to programme them in some way and is Chirp the way to do it ?
You will need to check that they're set to the right bandwidths etc. There are a lot of videos on YouTube but you have to double check that what they say is valid in the UK (or wherever you are). Chirp makes ot easier, but I think everything can be done from the handset if you've got yhe patience (I bought mine already setup for the UK).

This might help: https://www.essexham.co.uk/guide-to-using-the-baofeng-uv-5r.html

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Bought two Baoefeng UV 5R III radios, set them up manually for the channels I need, much less hassle than I thought.
However, every you tube and tutorial I have seen says, to get FM press the orange button on the side once. I cannot get FM. Is there something I need to set in the menu ?
Really puzzled, any ideas most welcome.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Bought two Baoefeng UV 5R III radios, set them up manually for the channels I need, much less hassle than I thought.
However, every you tube and tutorial I have seen says, to get FM press the orange button on the side once. I cannot get FM. Is there something I need to set in the menu ?
Really puzzled, any ideas most welcome.
Yay for more radios!

Sorry can’t help with your actualy questions. I can’t remember of the top of my head, but I’m pretty sure I managed on mine UV5Rs. I think it was very straightforward.

ETA: Have you googled for the manual? (e.g. https://baofengtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/BaoFeng_UV-5R_Manual.pdf) For this one it says to press for FM and press to hold for alarm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE