Living out for a year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
How did I miss this thread? Yes you can buy something that look a bit like a big corkscrew, you screw into the ground and they are used on building sites to secure valuable equipment with big padlocks!

I have been thinking about the same sort of idea, but using a boat on rivers and such. You only get one shot at life, go for it, mate!

Do you know where to get them from? Are they industrial things or could anyone use them? I would like one for my canoe but I can't see them anywhere on the internet

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Shooting magazines may have a smaller version of these corkscrew thingies in their sale pages. They are used to tie dogs to when you are a standing gun. This size may be ideal for tents.

For the bigger sizes perhaps one could try a plant hire company.

Hope this helps.
Swyn.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Well things are all on course for the 19th June to start my year. I've been buying bits and bobs ready for the off. I don't really need much, but I've bought a Murrika skillet to cook on which will come in very useful. I already have a couple of Zebra's so shouldn't need any more than that except maybe a dutch oven at some stage. :)

I've been having another thought, kicked off by what I read here. http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7952 and pointed out by Scot-Charles-River.

It's an interesting read and my little overactive brain started wondering if anyone on here would be up for something like this :confused: . renting a farmers field between us, and living in Tipi's or the like.
Obviously there would be a LOT that would need to be discussed but firstly has anyone got any kind of experience of living in a rented farmers field. What is the average cost? I have no idea. What are the pitfalls? how do you run it and resolve disagreements? It sounds like the lady on song of the paddle is having a fantastic time of it. You only live once eh?

Anyway just a tentative idea. I'm off to start my adventure in June anyway but if I love it, which I'm fully expecting I will, this could be something to think about for the longer term if anyone else was interested or indeed able to because of circumstances like family, work etc.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
:D Good stuff FR :D

I'm pretty envious but with the way things are for me I'm only able to do weekends etc. Of course I'm blessed that I have my family and job which are the things that make what you're doing just a dream for me... yet ;)

The kids are getting older now, hitting their teens and in the blink of an eye they will be flitting the nest and making their own way. Then there's the mortgage for another 12 years but who knows ;)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
:D Good stuff FR :D

I'm pretty envious but with the way things are for me I'm only able to do weekends etc. Of course I'm blessed that I have my family and job which are the things that make what you're doing just a dream for me... yet ;)

The kids are getting older now, hitting their teens and in the blink of an eye they will be flitting the nest and making their own way. Then there's the mortgage for another 12 years but who knows ;)

I suppose I am lucky to be in a position to be able to do this, yes.

No mortgage, no council tax, no bills. (for a year anyway, if I last that is :confused: ) I've still got to pay my loan but it'll leave me with a good amount of disposable each month. Ideally I'd like to stop work altogether and just spend my time travelling around Britain, there's so much to see and it's wonderful countryside in my opinion, but unfortunately getting by without money is just not possible in Britain, so I'll have to keep the job. I still have to pay pitch fees, buy food (although I'll be foraging and fishing and snaring if I can get permission, to supplement) I'm not too old or decrepit to do it so why not. And who knows what opportunities may come along in my travels. I WANT TO GO NOW :red: :drive: :red: :drive: I'm really looking forward to meeting up with people from BCUK too on my travels.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
LOL! Fantastic FR, am envious :D Will you be able to keep us up to date as to how you're getting on?

I'm really looking forward to meeting up with people from BCUK too on my travels.

I can just picture it now: After days braving the wilds of Wiltshire, the BCUK expedition finally finds the elusive camp hidden deep in the undergrowth. Tentatively, one BCUKer steps forward, "Falling Rain, I presume?"

bu1116h5.jpg

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Has anyone had any dealings with these folks? I'm going to get a canvas tarp made up for my adventure as it'll give me protection to sit under when it's peeing down
http://www.canvas-tarps.co.uk/tarpaulins/ripstop.htm

I'll be selling a lot of my stuff soon when I've compiled a list (and paid me membership :eek:)
watch this space It'll also mean I won't have to fork out for storage.

If anyone is interested I'm selling a canvas 14' x 8' patrol tent with flysheet on e-bay

If thats not allowed mods please remove

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Nice thread, I do hope Mr Rain managed to get in his tent and would be more interested in his story than most of the stuff on the tv!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE