Living out for a year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I just wanted some thoughts on this in case I've missed something glaringly obvious that would put the mockers on a plan I've been formulating over the last few months. I havn't decided for definate yet if I'm going to go through with it but I really fancy it and you only live once. :)

I'm thinking of living out for a year starting next year from around June.
My son is going to be 18 in May and I'm seperated from the strife, although we get on very well still. My lad is planning on a gap year in Japan and then Uni so he'll be away but he will visit me whenever he wants for a few nights under canvas if he's free.
I work a week on and a week off on nights.
My plan is to buy an arran tentipi to live in and camp at campsites that allow fires. There's a couple not too far from Oxford so I can sleep during the day after work, and when it's my week off I will travel around a bit and visit different places. I've got a few places that allow fires in mind in Devon and some other places so no problems there. Some are open all year round 365 days.
I rent a room at the moment, so I can just give notice on that, and have no mortgage but I do have a loan and of course I need living expenses for food, petrol,etc etc. So of course need to keep the job.
I'm happy with my own company most of the time so won't get lonely and will spend my time off fishing, walking, bushcrafting, learning more about plants and trees, reading the paper over a leisuerly breakfast, doing my laundry at the local laundromat in town and if any of my friends want to come along for the weekend to the campsite for a few beers round the fire that's great. :) and seeing our wonderful countryside, Wales, the Lakes, Scotland.
I was planning to move back to Devon anyway but may put that on hold for a while so I can live outdoors and hopefully have a fantastic experience doing it. I have no ties whatsoever to stop me doing this. My most important person in my life is my son and as explained he'll be doing pretty much his own thing but will always know where I am and will always be welcome to visit me.
I suppose all this has come about because obviously I love the outdoors and you only live once and want to do something I'll really enjoy. It'll also give me the chance to practice skills on a daily basis and not just once in a while. Cooking on an open fire, firelighting, foraging, animal watching, map reading etc, etc.
I won't miss TV (well only the documentries I like to watch but hey can't have it all.:) ), and I've got a radio which I really enjoy listening too. Who needs TV living a life like that!! I've pretty much got everything I need in the way of kit, 4 season bag, pots, pans, axe, knife, everything except a decent tent and tent heating system for the colder months. I've got a canvas patrol tent which is large but impossible to put up on your own, so a question - can you put up an Arran tentipi on your own?
By next June I'll have enough money to buy a van (more secure and I can keep my kit locked out of site in the back, and I'll get kit insurance.) and an Arran tipi. As said though I want some space but need to be able to put it up alone so if anyone has any other suggestions? It must be very robust though to stand up to all weathers. also which is the best heater system. The fuel burner with chimney or the meths heater heat pal 5100, and is safe from noxious gases whilst asleep?
I think this will be wonderful experience and will allow me to do what I love. I've said a year just to see how it goes and will move into a flat in Exmouth after the year, unless I love it so much and then I may spend a bit longer out there. :)
I've given this a fair bit of thought and can't think of any problems so that's why I'm asking you folks have I missed anything? :confused:
All my surplus belongings I can put in storage (books DVD,s etc)
I will use my wifes address if I need one for anything, and get all mail sent there and pick it up when I'm in Oxford for my week at work.
As I said I havn't decided for definate but the more I think about it the more it appeals to me. I think it will give me lots of peace and fell relaxed.
Thanks for reading and any advice (or if I've missed anything) appreciated. :)

Sounds like a plan.

As for putting your stuff in storage,why not sell it? or is it reasonably priced to store your kit for a year? (it sounds expensive to me)

Selling your gear would help pay off some if not all of your loan thus freeing your mind of the financial shackles of the modern world.

Why not travel up to Scotland and work part time up there,farmers always need a hand,travel abit ,work abit.

If your gonna do it why not go the whole hog?

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Why not go a step further and see if you can get a job working for a Bushcraft company? You may event be able to live where you work and hence get reduced/camping fees?

Chris

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I think it was done a couple of years ago and covered on this forum although I can't recall who it was?

Good luck though and don't forget to write everything down to share with us, warts and all ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I just wanted some thoughts on this in case I've missed something glaringly obvious that would put the mockers on a plan I've been formulating over the last few months. I havn't decided for definate yet if I'm going to go through with it but I really fancy it and you only live once. :)

I'm thinking of living out for a year starting next year from around June.
My son is going to be 18 in May and I'm seperated from the strife, although we get on very well still. My lad is planning on a gap year in Japan and then Uni so he'll be away but he will visit me whenever he wants for a few nights under canvas if he's free.
I work a week on and a week off on nights.
My plan is to buy an arran tentipi to live in and camp at campsites that allow fires. There's a couple not too far from Oxford so I can sleep during the day after work, and when it's my week off I will travel around a bit and visit different places. I've got a few places that allow fires in mind in Devon and some other places so no problems there. Some are open all year round 365 days.
I rent a room at the moment, so I can just give notice on that, and have no mortgage but I do have a loan and of course I need living expenses for food, petrol,etc etc. So of course need to keep the job.
I'm happy with my own company most of the time so won't get lonely and will spend my time off fishing, walking, bushcrafting, learning more about plants and trees, reading the paper over a leisuerly breakfast, doing my laundry at the local laundromat in town and if any of my friends want to come along for the weekend to the campsite for a few beers round the fire that's great. :) and seeing our wonderful countryside, Wales, the Lakes, Scotland.
I was planning to move back to Devon anyway but may put that on hold for a while so I can live outdoors and hopefully have a fantastic experience doing it. I have no ties whatsoever to stop me doing this. My most important person in my life is my son and as explained he'll be doing pretty much his own thing but will always know where I am and will always be welcome to visit me.
I suppose all this has come about because obviously I love the outdoors and you only live once and want to do something I'll really enjoy. It'll also give me the chance to practice skills on a daily basis and not just once in a while. Cooking on an open fire, firelighting, foraging, animal watching, map reading etc, etc.
I won't miss TV (well only the documentries I like to watch but hey can't have it all.:) ), and I've got a radio which I really enjoy listening too. Who needs TV living a life like that!! I've pretty much got everything I need in the way of kit, 4 season bag, pots, pans, axe, knife, everything except a decent tent and tent heating system for the colder months. I've got a canvas patrol tent which is large but impossible to put up on your own, so a question - can you put up an Arran tentipi on your own?
By next June I'll have enough money to buy a van (more secure and I can keep my kit locked out of site in the back, and I'll get kit insurance.) and an Arran tipi. As said though I want some space but need to be able to put it up alone so if anyone has any other suggestions? It must be very robust though to stand up to all weathers. also which is the best heater system. The fuel burner with chimney or the meths heater heat pal 5100, and is safe from noxious gases whilst asleep?
I think this will be wonderful experience and will allow me to do what I love. I've said a year just to see how it goes and will move into a flat in Exmouth after the year, unless I love it so much and then I may spend a bit longer out there. :)
I've given this a fair bit of thought and can't think of any problems so that's why I'm asking you folks have I missed anything? :confused:
All my surplus belongings I can put in storage (books DVD,s etc)
I will use my wifes address if I need one for anything, and get all mail sent there and pick it up when I'm in Oxford for my week at work.
As I said I havn't decided for definate but the more I think about it the more it appeals to me. I think it will give me lots of peace and fell relaxed.
Thanks for reading and any advice (or if I've missed anything) appreciated. :)

Living outside in a tent all year is a truly unpleasant experience; you can never truly get properly clean or dry in the winter. The damp will creep into your bones and the noise of the rain will keep you awake. Even in a large tent, there is always too little space and too much stuff, stuff that you need for just living.
I’d not recommend it to anyone. If you must ‘camp out’ why not go the whole hog and get a small Yurt (£1700+ ), transportable,(the small ones will fit in a estate car or small van, easy to heat, even easier to keep clean and dry, (especially if you live in it year round)

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Go for it! Like you say - why not? It promises to be such an incredible experience with downs as well as ups.

The only danger is letting it go at the end and readjusting back to living in a box, that may be heart breaking?

One more thing, if I was planning on this then I wouldn't commit to a fixed time. A year could turn out to be either too long or too short. I'd be wanting to play it by ear. On the other hand would that not then allow you to pack up the tent if you get a bit despondent over a few days?

Your right, it is a lot to think about but either way I say go for it :)

Good luck and make sure you pitch within' reasonable distance to a computer with an internet connection to keep us updated on progress.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
try and find Ditch Monkey's posts and blog,

iirc he worked at sotherby's or something during the day, then changed out of his suit and got the train to the wood where he was living. quite inspirational.

steve

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I would love to do this myself and I have thought about it over the last few years.Good luck with it mate.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
try and find Ditch Monkey's posts and blog,

iirc he worked at sotherby's or something during the day, then changed out of his suit and got the train to the wood where he was living. quite inspirational.

steve

Hugh is a real gent. He found it hard at first then grew into loving the life.

I spend every spare moment in the woods. Can't beleive on this forum there would be anything but admiration and envy.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Living outside in a tent all year is a truly unpleasant experience; you can never truly get properly clean or dry in the winter. The damp will creep into your bones and the noise of the rain will keep you awake. Even in a large tent, there is always too little space and too much stuff, stuff that you need for just living.
I’d not recommend it to anyone. If you must ‘camp out’ why not go the whole hog and get a small Yurt (£1700+ ), transportable,(the small ones will fit in a estate car or small van, easy to heat, even easier to keep clean and dry, (especially if you live in it year round)

I'm not sure I agree there tadpole. It is very simple (and cheap) to line a tent with ex army blankets for insulation. Use a woodburner and make sure there is plenty of seasoned wood. This set-up is no different to a bender, if the burner is kept going when it's damp outside it should remain bone dry and toasty. Come to think of it a bender is not such a bad idea :rolleyes: Cost- maybe a hundred quid on some second hand canvas tarp from an army surplus or marquee company and a burner- gas bottle burners are very cheap. Personally I like the sound of rain on canvas, which is lessened by the insulation anyway.

BushVen

Life Member
Over the last 8 years I have spent, on average 6 months a year, living outside whilst teaching bushcraft. One year I spent 10 months living outside.
I've made a list of some tips you may find usefull:

1. Have you thought about a 5 man arctic tent ? They are big and bulky but if your not moving around to much this isn't a problem, also they are much cheaper than a canvas tipi and come with a liner and stove hole, try Anchor Supplies

2. If you have a large tent you will require more fuel to keep it warm but you will require a good 'living space' therefore size is important, not to big or to large. I have used a arran 9 for long periods although I didn't have a van to store kit etc....

3. A stove is a must, not just because of the cold but also the damp. I recommend a stove with a large flat top, so you can cook on top. If using a stove you will idealy need a liner with a ground sheet, the warmth of the stove will draw the moisture from the ground if a ground sheet is not used.

4. I don't like using petrol lanterns, the fumes are carcinogenic if used over long periods. Try a parafin lantern, and which ever lantern you use keep it high near the vents when in use. Also do not store flammable liquids and gas in the tent.

5. Keep clothing and books in waterproof containers.

6. Keep food in airtight metal boxes. You want to consider a fridge in your vehicle (not very bushcrafty), it is possible to make an outside storage area put the above may be more convienant.

7. Get a good camp bed and air your beding as often as possible.

8. You will need to keep disciplined and organised, ensure that all your kit has a home and that important item are to hand.

9. Make sure you have lots of hanging areas so you can keep the floor space clear.

10. Have an area for eating, washing and relaxing, and an area for sleeping.

I could go on but I'm limited on time, you will learn alot as you go along and will work-out your own system.

Best of luck and enjoy the experience

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Some wooden boxes may be handy for storing kit and keeping your admin squared away. If you can raise them off of the floor, even better. Look at the Mongol yurts/gers and how they live in them with carpets and god knows what else! They like to live comfortably! I wish you asll the luck in the world and hope you have a lot of fun. Buy some cheap notebooks and keep a daily log, it could become a best seller! Dorian Amos did!

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Over the last 8 years I have spent, on average 6 months a year, living outside whilst teaching bushcraft. One year I spent 10 months living outside.
I've made a list of some tips you may find usefull:

1. Have you thought about a 5 man arctic tent ? They are big and bulky but if your not moving around to much this isn't a problem, also they are much cheaper than a canvas tipi and come with a liner and stove hole, try Anchor Supplies

2. If you have a large tent you will require more fuel to keep it warm but you will require a good 'living space' therefore size is important, not to big or to large. I have used a arran 9 for long periods although I didn't have a van to store kit etc....

3. A stove is a must, not just because of the cold but also the damp. I recommend a stove with a large flat top, so you can cook on top. If using a stove you will idealy need a liner with a ground sheet, the warmth of the stove will draw the moisture from the ground if a ground sheet is not used.

4. I don't like using petrol lanterns, the fumes are carcinogenic if used over long periods. Try a parafin lantern, and which ever lantern you use keep it high near the vents when in use. Also do not store flammable liquids and gas in the tent.

5. Keep clothing and books in waterproof containers.

6. Keep food in airtight metal boxes. You want to consider a fridge in your vehicle (not very bushcrafty), it is possible to make an outside storage area put the above may be more convienant.

7. Get a good camp bed and air your beding as often as possible.

8. You will need to keep disciplined and organised, ensure that all your kit has a home and that important item are to hand.

9. Make sure you have lots of hanging areas so you can keep the floor space clear.

10. Have an area for eating, washing and relaxing, and an area for sleeping.

I could go on but I'm limited on time, you will learn alot as you go along and will work-out your own system.

Best of luck and enjoy the experience

Very good first post BushVen, hello by the way :)

R

Runs for cake

First post on here so be gentle folks.

Some friends of mine did a similar thing a few years ago. They spent six months living in a tent , worked with my wife during that time , and had no problems whatsoever. In fact they absolutely loved it. They were on a camp site so had showers etc available , and it was only during the summer so staying warm wasn't such an issue.

Winter may be difficult dependent on where you stay , what tent setup you have etc but I don't see any difficulties that can't be overcome. No need to have mail sent to your wife either, I'm sure you can arrange to collect it from the post office , or even have it delivered to the site if you stay on one.

Sounds like it could be a great way to live if you ask me.

Sean

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I can't offer much by way of practical advice, just some thoughts.

Some sites require people to supervise the site at nights, allocate pitches etc, ask around if you can find a site that needs someone like this you may be able to get reduced pitch fees.

I''ve always found you articulate. Why not keep a journal, and start now. I'm sure there will be magazines or book deals out there. A home grown Up the Yukon without a Paddle.

I'd buy it!

Good luck mate, keep us posted as I'd love to know how your planning is going!

Pib

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Great replies folks and thanks for the tips.

As regards to work I'm going to keep this job for a few simple reasons. It's flippin easy money. I do only nights on a helpdesk in a hospital and other than rude, impatient, arrogant callers sometimes it's easy. I do a little paperwork each shift and answer calls but things usually become quiet at around 1ish in the morning and then I can visit BCUK, or read, or watch a DVD on my laptop usually docus like Coast , River cottage, Ray, Tribe etc. The money isn't bad and I get a bit extra for unsociable hours. I'm on my own and no one bothers me. It's the easiest job I've ever had and I like easy. :) I used to get a bit stressed by the impatientness and rudeness but I've trained myself to think stuff 'em. They're just a voice on the end of the phone. I don't have to spend time with them, marry them, socialise with them, or anything else with them. As soon as I put the phone down I forget them and I've become very adept at dealing with them. In fact I can even wind them up a bit for my own entertainment without them having any reason for a comeback. :)

Wayne thanks very much for your kind offer. I'll probably take you up on that and if you need any help digging the poo pit, general lacky or any other tasks I'll be glad to help out as payment for my pitch. Thank you very much. :You_Rock_

Good idea about selling stuff stoRE I don't have much really as I'm not a very materialistic person but I could raise a few bob I'm sure. Most of my stuff that's worth anything is my Bushcraft and fishing gear.

I've tried teaching a bit but to be perfectly honest I don't really enjoy it. I have had a few bad experiences with landowners one in particular who was a very agressive woman and just about nothing except money, money, money.
I don't like having to rely on other people too much and although most people are great, there are a few who expect things to happen with no effort put in by themselves and will make no contribution to the general running of the camp. I'll also be honest and I don't really like teaching children.
My Idea is a bit like the other guy who's been mentioned except I plan to move around and see the countryside. I'll use one of the fairly local campsites when I'm on my week at work and probably a different place each week when I'm off. I also get 25 days holiday each year so I can take 3 weeks off and only 7 days of that will be holiday so I can do that 3 times in a year :)
I don't agree about living in a tent to be an unpleasent experience or I wouldn't be doing it. I know it won't all be roses and things will go wrong. I'm a first aider and all the sites I plan to stay on are non commercial with just the basic toilet and shower. None of these mass places with bar, disco, swimming pool, 50,000 kids rampaging around the place etc. Just the basics, and over many years of camping i know a fair few, and will research more.
If you've got the right kit there's no need whatsoever to be uncomfortable. Non at all. Especially in our mild climate. I've slept out many times during the winter. No problems. A fire to warm the tent and one to sit round during the evening. A camp bed and a lambs wool under blanket. No problem. Rain most certainly won't keep me awake. My username says it all. I love nothing more than snuggling up in my maggot and listening to the wind and rain on the tarp or tent. I love it.
A yurt at £1700 is a bit steep for me, but I like the idea of the arctic tent. I know exactly the one you mean on Anchor supplies. Can it be put up on your own though?
As mentioned I'm getting a van so any kit can be stored in that when not in use so I don't clutter up the tent. I have a few ammo boxes to store kit in which I'm going to bolt to the floor of the van and put on a good strong padlock.
I've come up with a year as a round figure and I want to experience all the seasons. If It all goes wrong I'll simply get a flat. If I absolutely love it I'll stay longer. I'll play it by ear.
I can let folks know how things are going if anyone is intewrested as I've got access to a computer at work every other week so no worries there.
Thanks again for all the wishes. I figure I'm still young enough to do this and don't want to feel I should have done something when I'm older. My son will always be welcome to come and visit his old man wherever I'll be camping and i can pick him up from the nearest station. He's the most important thing to me and he says 'go for it Dad, you're flippin mental but go for it. It's your life'.
Thanks for the tips Bushven some good tips there.
It's not my first time sleeping out, but living out for an extended period is a different kettle of fish and I'm under no illusions it'll be all a dream, but that's part of the experience.
I'll definately keep a log as it's great fun to read back on in years to come. I've done this on multi day hikes in the past and reading them back now are really fun and brings it back very clear in the mind with all the little details in there.
The van will be very useful as I can keep excess gear in it to keep the tent free of clutter and If I need a pot or what ever I'll simply slide open the door and get one out. I'm going to have it shelved and keep things tidy and in order in the back of the van. I'm also going to get one of the hard sturdy cool boxes skippers use on boats for storing the catch in. You can get all sizes and they are very good. The odd bag of Ice every couple of days or so should do the trick and place the food on a grate inside the box so the water when it melts can sit under the grate and away from the food.
The sites I have in mind are all very basic with just a shower and toilet so hygiene won't be a problem. I have no land to go and live in the woods so that's not an option. Most of the basic sites cost as little as £2.50 per night (widecombe) up to a mximum of £10 per night and as I won't be paying rent for a flat anymore that'll pay for any pitch fees.
It's going to be great fun planning this and even more fun doing it. I've already started a notebook of campsites with fires and can't wait to explore our wonderful countryside and coast. I've see a fair bit but there's loads I havn't.
The week when I'm working I'll have to pretty much stay at the same sites so I don't have to drive far to work but when I'm on my week off I'm going to be all over the show :) :) :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't forget you can get those plug in cool boxes. They are very effective, one of the best things I ever bought. If you are using an axe to split kindling for a fire in your tent, it may be worth leaving the axe in the tent always, or leaving it outdoors/in the van always. If you shift it from warm to cold and back again by taking it indoors and then outdoors to use it, you run the risk of the axe head coming loose on the handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE