HF radio and bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
Hi folks,

Just wondered who else enjoys combining their bushcraft stuff/wilderness travel etc. with amateur radio (HF QRP (low power)). I've been into radio stuff for a while and usually combine the two, I find they compliment one and other well.
I use a tiny radio transceiver called a Rockmite from Small Wonder Labs, which works CW (morse code) on the 20m band (14MHz). The rig itself fits inside an altoids mints tin, and was built from a kit in a few hours over Christmas one year.

The advantage of HF operation as opposed to say UHF (commonly used in walkie talkies) and VHF, is obviously the range. HF frequencies are reflected by the ionosphere and are not restricted to 'line of sight' communication. Such a small HF kit may be useful in terms of safety when visiting outlying regions.

The whole setup consists of the mints tin containing the transceiver, battery pack of 8 AAs, mini morse paddle key, mini atu (antenna tuner), and longwire antenna. It packs away very small.

There are other QRP rigs available (some which use voice), but for simplicity, low cost and effectiveness, there are several excellent morse (CW) transceivers which have a greater range per watt of power output.

Contacts can be made over hundreds (sometimes even thousands) of miles using the power of a Christmas tree lightbulb!

I find it a good companion to my bushcraft outings, and feel it embraces the same spirit of adventure and self sufficiency which is part of bushcraft.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Hey, someone else interested in QRP!
I've only hung around with mates using their kit, never got round to getting my licence myself, but it's something I'm definitely going to do when I get some free time. Had to learn morse and stacks of radio theory years ago and still do 20-25 wpm though I don't get a chance to use it much. In fact first time I have in months (aside from dit-dahing number plates in my head of course) was writing it on here a few days back. Writing it was strange!!
Haven't met many people interested in it here in the UK though there're a few websites and blogs and the like by people in the US combining long distance walking or bushcraft with QRP... also got an interesting book here on remote power generation for powering rigs for longer periods, aimed mostly at survival and emergency type scenarios but the principles and ideas are the same.
Elecraft KX1 and taking the foundation exams are on my wish list for the near future :) Realy is fascinating like you say though; communication potentially worldwide using less power than the lamp sat next to me.
Might catch you on the airwaves at some point!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve got an old MIdland CB in the loft if that counts, I can`t use it in this house because it trips out the alarm system though. Not quite mint tin size mind.

Rich

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It causes the old T.V.I . dear boy and your neibours love you to bits

Yeah that`s it, I think you can get TVI filters for them but I don`t really use it these days anyway. Funnily enough I never got any complaints from the neighbours, although our lass used to kickoff when the alarm started.
We used to get the same problem with taxis outside the house but that seems to have gone now.

Rich

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
i suppose you were pretty safe just banging out on a couple of watts out put but if you used an amp then well happy days

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
Haven't met many people interested in it here in the UK though there're a few websites and blogs and the like by people in the US combining long distance walking or bushcraft with QRP...

I've also noticed this, the interest stateside is far greater than in the UK. It's a shame because I think it would interest so many people.

For anyone interested, find out about foundation licence courses in your area. The courses run over a few weekends and is a gentle introduction to amateur radio. There is a small assessment which consists of a few questions (multiple choice answers) and it's really quite fun! The course hardly costs anything either, so your wallet will be happy.
The licence allows you to operate on most bands with a maximum power of 10 watts, and is popular with those wanting to use HF (long distance) frequencies for the first time.

Once you have the licence, a wide range of equipment is available, from low cost kits like the ones I own, to 'all singing, all dancing' transceivers such as the Yaesu FT-817 which allow operation on all bands with many of modes of transmission.

QRP (low power) operation is ideal for the 'adventure' setting, you can make worldwide contacts with a fraction of the 10 watt limit of the foundation licence on HF bands while on the move. The equipment is also cheap (mostly) and portable, but most of all FUN!

I expect to see more BCUK users with callsigns very soon!

73 de M3AYS

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've also noticed this, the interest stateside is far greater than in the UK. It's a shame because I think it would interest so many people.

For anyone interested, find out about foundation licence courses in your area. The courses run over a few weekends and is a gentle introduction to amateur radio. There is a small assessment which consists of a few questions (multiple choice answers) and it's really quite fun! The course hardly costs anything either, so your wallet will be happy.
The licence allows you to operate on most bands with a maximum power of 10 watts, and is popular with those wanting to use HF (long distance) frequencies for the first time.

Once you have the licence, a wide range of equipment is available, from low cost kits like the ones I own, to 'all singing, all dancing' transceivers such as the Yaesu FT-817 which allow operation on all bands with many of modes of transmission.

QRP (low power) operation is ideal for the 'adventure' setting, you can make worldwide contacts with a fraction of the 10 watt limit of the foundation licence on HF bands while on the move. The equipment is also cheap (mostly) and portable, but most of all FUN!

I expect to see more BCUK users with callsigns very soon!

73 de M3AYS

My upcoming Foundation course is £20 all in, a good deal I think. I grew up with my step father, now silent key G5IW / GW5IW but never got around to taking the test. When he lived in Wales, he used all sorts of rigs, from home brewed QRP to hi power linear amps. When he past away I sold off his gear which I regret now, some of the valve stuff worked like a charm.

There is no Morse code test now as you know, which makes it easier for many who just can't get to grips with it, I'm lucky, I found Morse very easy to send and receive. I looked at the web site you mentioned earlier, that little rig looks perfect for bushcraft :)

Interesting to see that some others are into radio and bushcraft. Portable QRP is definitely the mode for me. I have done some experimenting with kite antenna and have a few web pages on these at http://www.thinlayeranalysis.co.uk/G6LFT_index.html
Although I sometimes use a generator and 100W portable set up, I really enjoy 30m CW with a few watts from a DSW-II transceiver powered by 8 or 10 AA batteries. This rig draws so little power it will run a whole weekend. The radio is great when lone camping and there is something more natural about CW (Morse) although I am no expert. I also usually carry a VHF/UHF handy with me but it doesn't get much use.

I am currently building an Elecraft KX1 with all the bits and hope to be out and about with it in the canoe and on those lazy summer evenings in the hammock! If anyone hears me then please give me a call.

Graham
G6LFT / M0CUQ

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
I really enjoy 30m CW with a few watts from a DSW-II transceiver powered by 8 or 10 AA batteries. This rig draws so little power it will run a whole weekend

I've hardly used 30m at all, I've got a 5W Howes CW rig with interchangable band modules and a 30m plug in I've never really used. I think it's sometimes the 'forgotten band' with folks jumping directly from 20 to 40 without stopping!
So much so that I forgot I owned the module and only just remembered when you mentioned it.
I'll give it a try, I'm finding 20m dead as a doornail most of the time nowadays anyway. And after 4pm just forget it!
Liked the kite antenna idea very much, I've not seen that in many places. Seems excellent for portable operation.

There are a few kite antenna flyers out there but the conditions and the kite have to be good, otherwise you spend half the time trying to keep it in the air. However, the small set up is very useful for a quick QSO on a hilltop when out walking.

30m is a great band, it offers some global DX (which doesn't really interest me) as well as some good solid communication (which does) all over Europe. The skip is too long to work UK but there are usually plenty of German and French stations around. The best thing it has to offer is lack of QRM. At the weekend when there is a big contest on it is a haven and is ideally suited to QRP. Often it is open a bit later than 20m.

When the sunspots get better, 40m will probably be my band of choice as it is easier to have a natter about interesting things and not just 599 73, which is not my kind of radio.

Graham

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've just sold my small wonder Labs SW40 (2 watts out on 40m) in favour of an Elecraft KX1 (4w out on 80/40/30/20. I'm still building it.

I leave most electronic gadgets at home when I go to wild country, but the HF rig is an exception. It fits with the wilderness ethos - it is simple equipment, it relies on nature rather than man-made infrastructure as you are literally bouncing fleapower signals off the sky.

It disturbs no-one as you wear headphones and instead of talking, you use the morse key.

It is a pure expression of the 'know more carry less' ethos - to communicate effectively with a ssb (voice) radio, you really need 20watts, which means a heavy radio and heavy batteries. But a Elecraft KX1, capable of worldwide communication in morse, weighs about 8 ounces all in.

In an emergency, 40m is usually open to somewhere. Though the thought of getting a brother amateur in Tirana to phone up mountain rescue on my behalf is a bit disconcerting.

It takes a bit of time and effort to acquire the necessary skills and licences, although modern morse traing programs (search G4FON) allow some reasonable competence to be achieved with 8-12 hours practice - it's never been easier to learn.

There is a magic to using morse that is difficult to explain. Although it is no longer mandatory for an amateur radio licence, it is well worth the effort to learn. Like many things, the more you do it the better you get. I can copy comfortably at 20 words a minute aand bursts at 25 wpm.

de GM0WEZ

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
Hmmmm, all this talk of the Elecraft KX1, mentioned several times now. I'll check this rig out methinks.
I didn't expect to find so many fellow amateurs on here, and they are all code proficient at at least 20wpm it seems! I'm no speed demon, I used to be able to copy at around there but it wasn't comfortable:)

I learnt using a program called 'Code Quick' initially. It's rather inventive in its approach and uses words and phrases which sound like the morse letter, and is an excellent starting point for anyone just starting out. It also makes the process quite fun! I think it's probably the most painless way to learn morse. Check it out!

After I got the basic alphabet I used a free program called morsecat to build speed.

After I got the basic alphabet I used a free program called morsecat to build speed.

I used the cat too! The cat itself always looked a bit deformed in the animation of the key, but it was a very useful program. Over the years I have strived to make the perfect portable package with power supply, rig , atu and antenna, but never actuually achieved it (and spent loads of cash in the process). Over Christmas I started thinking about the FT817 but my wife reminded me that I had instructed her never to let me buy something that consumes that much power. Eventually I decided that it was about time to try the KX1as it appeared to offer me everything wanted. The kit arrived a few weeks ago and construction has just begun. i orederd all the extras too, which is not cheap. So I should end up with 80-40-30 and 20m auto ATU and the built in key. I then intend to put it in a pelicase to take canoe camping.

I am not a speed demon on the key but chug along at 16-18 wpm, at a push I can read 25-30wpm unless I think about it - when it all goes wrong!

I find Morse very relaxing, as Doc says there is something very special about it, almost magical. I will often just leave a rig on listening. I did buy one of those Eton rigs that RSGB were offereing at a good price. I use this alot, listening to top band and 80m at night!

Graham

speckledjim

Mar 30, 2007
Edinburgh
Good luck on the foundation course Richard, send me a PM if you need some soldering done for your Rockmite. I've done so much recently I'm thinking of getting a solder pipeline put in so I'd have it right on tap!

Don't forget to order a nice ATU kit with your Rockmite and you'll be away. The Norcal BLT is ideal and costs peanuts.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I took a great interest in Signalling Equipment during my time in the Mob, I remember being involved in trying to get a HF link to Hameln from the deepest darkest Democratic Republic of Congo! Didn't work unfortunately, although in theory it is possible. I asked about learning morse and the Signals Senior NCO said he would teach me and have me doing morse in no time, but it never happened as other things just got in the way.

I may look in to learning it though, I know my dad used it in the navy so perhaps he is the man to speak to. A small rig could be an interesting item to play with out in the woods, maybe if there were two regional meets on at the same time, getting a link would be pretty cool!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Well, I said I can copy 20wpm. I can't send that fast. I'm in the process of changing from a straight key to a paddle. I can kind of send 20 wpm on the paddle when practising but I'm still making too many mistakes to use it on air.

RufzXP is another good training program.

The KX1 is a radio optimised for backpacking, with controls on the top surface and a logbook light. Has internal atu option, internal batteries, and optional broadcast receive.

I'm pretty sold on Elecraft radios. Two weeks ago I took delivery of an Elecraft K3 - the basic 10watt version as a no-solder kit is around £700 (plus VAT and shipping from California) but in lab tests it has the best receiver available at any price. It actually ouperforms radios costing four grand.

Incidentally, just now there is a fair bit of Clansman radio kit coming on the surplus market, as the army re-equips with Bowman (Better Off With Map and Nokia, but thats another story.... ) I used the PRC320 (manpack hf set, does ssb and cw, 20 watts out) a lot at one time, with morse key strapped to my thigh. I've seen them going for circa £300, and you can get all kind of accessories like hand generators for them.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They are the sets that we tried getting the link with. Make sure you don't have it strapped to your back when using it or you may find your testicles get irradiated and shrivel to the size of peanuts!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE