Baofeng Fanboys & Fan Girls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
As another who has not paid much attention to these tools up to now. How would people say it compares with the likes of a garmin inreach mini 2 and the likes? Aside from cost of course!

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
They are two different things. These are radios that operate over radio frequencies, not by satellite.

Think walkie talkie but with more power, exchangeable antennas and capable of transmitting and receiving over a broader range of frequencies.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
They are two different things. These are radios that operate over radio frequencies, not by satellite.

Think walkie talkie but with more power, exchangeable antennas and capable of transmitting and receiving over a broader range of frequencies.

No I get that. But I’m thinking in terms of actual usability when in the great outdoors say when on a multi week expedition in a far flung part of the globe. Not just tuning into the iss because it’s cool.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Ahh right, ok.

That very much depends on how far away you are from civilisation/other people with radios, and what type of radio you have.

My 5watt Baofeng vhf/uhf radio with upgraded antenna can receive and transmit over a repeater 30~miles away, which is probably close to the limit for transmitting with this antenna. You could get a bit more distance with a longer antenna, like a slim jim for instance which packs away small. You would get even further with more power, but antenna and altitude trump power every time.

If you have a HF (High Frequency) radio, however, the radio wave will actually bounce off of the ionosphere rather than passing through it into space as in vhf/uhf, so the radio waves will bounce back to earth so you could make contact with people in other counties.

But whilst there are portable HF radios, I'm not sure there is a handheld HF radio.

But 30 miles with a vhf/uhf radio and antenna setup like mine, on higher ground with minimal obstructions would be a reasonable estimation, I would say. But I am not an expert, I am just speaking from my own experience. They don't weigh a lot though, and nor do they take up much space so for redundancy, I don't see many negatives but it wouldn't be my sole/main source for emergency communications.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
No I get that. But I’m thinking in terms of actual usability when in the great outdoors say when on a multi week expedition in a far flung part of the globe. Not just tuning into the iss because it’s cool.

I think, it has to be said, that if you have mobile phone coverage you stand a better chance of getting help. If you don't have coverage, it would be questionable if you'd have anyone within range with suitable kit to hear you using a Baofeng unless you had pre-arranged to use such kit. It's also worth stating that some countries wouldn't allow you in with this gear in the first place and even if they did, you'd need to check your UK license covered you.

However, as a communications device that works even if all power, internet, and phone masts are down, it could be classified as a no-brainer to have as a backup even if you do have to climb a mountain to reach anyone.

I have some licensed walkie talkies; when I suggested using them to my (then) 8 year old grandson he said 'why don't we just use our phones?'.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m just reading this thread with interest as I keep a simple AM/FM battery radio about with a manual tuning dial and have been looking at the Tecsun receivers, particularly the PL-368.

I realise this is a receiver only, but is it me being a gear freak that wants one, or could it be a sensible purchase?

IMG_1488.jpeg

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I think, it has to be said, that if you have mobile phone coverage you stand a better chance of getting help. If you don't have coverage, it would be questionable if you'd have anyone within range with suitable kit to hear you using a Baofeng unless you had pre-arranged to use such kit. It's also worth stating that some countries wouldn't allow you in with this gear in the first place and even if they did, you'd need to check your UK license covered you.

However, as a communications device that works even if all power, internet, and phone masts are down, it could be classified as a no-brainer to have as a backup even if you do have to climb a mountain to reach anyone.

I have some licensed walkie talkies; when I suggested using them to my (then) 8 year old grandson he said 'why don't we just use our phones?'.

That’s exactly what I was expecting to be the case, cheers. I’m still intrigued by them though I don’t think I have any particular use for one. I might have to ask you to bring yours to our next camp out so you can show me the ins and outs. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
My UV-5RH arrived yesterday. I ordered the multi band version which has the civil air band. I can hear the occasional chatter from my nearest airport, which is about 14 miles away as the crow flies, but it is rather scratchy. I'm going to make a flower pot antenna to hopefully extend the range.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’m just reading this thread with interest as I keep a simple AM/FM battery radio about with a manual tuning dial and have been looking at the Tecsun receivers, particularly the PL-368.

I realise this is a receiver only, but is it me being a gear freak that wants one, or could it be a sensible purchase?

View attachment 84959
I’ve got one and think it’s quite good. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve got one and think it’s quite good. :)
Thanks Sara. I see the value of being able to transmit with the two-ways, but also being able to pick up news and information from much more powerful transmitters such as those used by radio stations. The one I keep in the van is a Prunus J-166 and is pretty cheap, runs on AA. I was put off the Tecsun because the upgraded version runs a battery pack and I really would like to be able to use Eneloops or AA batteries.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Thanks Sara. I see the value of being able to transmit with the two-ways, but also being able to pick up news and information from much more powerful transmitters such as those used by radio stations. The one I keep in the van is a Prunus J-166 and is pretty cheap, runs on AA. I was put off the Tecsun because the upgraded version runs a battery pack and I really would like to be able to use Eneloops or AA batteries.
They're using some sort of Nokia battery if I remember correctly. I bought one spare and a charger (it's fairly small) and they last for long enough that it's never been a problem.

The form factor is great for holding it in your hand or having it tucked into a pocket or something similar, but I also got a 3D printed desk stand for it (you could probably make your own easily), because it felt safer than having it standing on its own. Possibly not needed though, as it stands perfectly fine on its own. I usually use it with earphones, so then it's handy to be able to hold it or tuck it in.

I've got a clip on/plug in SW wire wind-in antenna for it as well. I've never quite figured out what works best in terms of which antenna option to use, but it's easy enough to try each combination and see what works best on the day.

I don't always remember how to work all the buttons, between uses, but you can solve that by just running a scan and it will save all the stations for you. I usually have it when travelling, so need to do that anyway most of the time.

It's obviously not as good as some of the more expensive world radios you can get, but for the price I thought it was a good buy that I'm pleased with. I got mine from Anon-CO.

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE