Living out for a year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Well again thanks for all the feedback. I never mentioned anywhere that I wanted positive feedback only Tadpole I just said i didn't necessarily agree with you. You've had your experiences and so have I, and as I've mentioned it will not be ALL hunky dory, I'm fully aware of that but I have a good tolerence of cold and am not a wimp who'll be heading for home at the first frost. It's an adventure and I'm doing it out of choice which would be different than HAVING to do it because of being homeless. I really sympathise with anyone who would be forced to live like this because of their circumstances.
The idea of starting in June is as Spamel says to aclimatise to the weather as it gradually creeps on us in Auntumn and winter and not just throw myself into it in the middle of January. Any problems will be dealt with as they come along.
I'll be moving around enough for it not to be a problem about staying in one place too long. I'm going to rotate my locations and will stay no longer than a week at one place. I may return to that same place again after a few weeks but that shouldn't be a problem as it won't be continuous.
Good idea about doing some work in exchange for camping in a farmers field but I don't want to do any work I want to study, practice, read, explore our countryside and coast, take photographs and fish amongst lots of other things. I may take up an offer it was just a bit of work but I don't really want to be lunking bales of hay all day and everyday. I'm getting to old for sustained heavy work. :) The sites I have in mind are all very basic and not usually frequented by loud folks. Which suits me just fine.
Thanks for the offers of company too Geoff, Ogri and Leon and everyone I intend to keep a blog so will let anyone who's interested know where I'll be from week to week and if anyone wants to come along for a beer around the fire they'd be welcome.
I could think about a book but it's hardly going solo to the north pole via everest on foot is it? :) I'm not sure it's very impressive enough to be turned into a book, but if it works out and gives people inspiration to do something themselves then it may be worth a shout.
I can stay registered with my GP in Oxford. As I mentioned me and the strife get on very well now :rolleyes: and she's happy for me to get mail sent to her address. It really won't be a problem and I can pick it up when I'm in town.
Leon you're right I have all but decided to go for it The time is right for all the reasons mentioned and I really want to do something that I'll always remember and above all have an adventure. I've nothing to stop me. No other half or kids that need me to be there all the time. I'm sure I'll meet people and who knows what other opportunities will come along. I stayed on a campsite years ago and the chap who ran it wasn't the owner but just checked people in and out and kept order if any rowdies turned up. He was retired and stayed every year for the summer season about 6 months.
I really appreciate all the feedback though, good and bad it gives me food for thought.
The key is to be organised and keep the area tidy. I don't think packing up camp will bother me too much once a week. If it was every other day different story. I'll move to another part of the site if things start to get muddy.
I'll probably use BCUK to keep a blog which I'll update every other week when I'm at work, and I'll happily give the whole 'warts and all' story.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I'm not sure it's very impressive enough to be turned into a book, but if it works out and gives people inspiration to do something themselves then it may be worth a shout.

Don't sell it short there, an adventure is an adventure!

Sounds like you've made your mind up so just wanted to wish you the best! When you are down this way I'll come and have a beer by that fire of yours!

Nice one Falling Rain.

Pib

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I bet the guy who went and slept on however many it was islands up in Scotland didn't think he would get so much interest. Don't sell yourself short, if you are gonna travel to various parts of the UK, people will be interested to read about it.

Hi falling rain, great plan, just get out there and do it, i recently did 6 months in a tent and i absolutely loved it, in fact i miss it so much i want to do it again. I started in October and packed up in march. November was typical with it's strong winds, we had winds recorded well over 90mph in south Wales that month, trees were down, roofs had gone etc but my tent just laughed it off so my first bit of advice to you is make sure that whatever you invest in is going to be strong enough to withstand gales and heavy constant rain. Do your homework and shop around, i don't know about tipi's but i looked at lot of ramblers sites and mountaineering sites to see what they use in the worst conditions in Britain.

Invest in a footprint for your tent/tipi as well, short term camping is fine without it but essential for long term in the winter.

I got myself a decent full size sleeping mat as getting a good night sleep consistently is important, you can save a few quid with the shorter ones but you will regret it eventually. The one i bought came with it's own stuff bag which doubled as a air pump for the mat which is very practicable.

You say you already have a 4 season sleeping bag but have you tried sleeping in it during the summer/autumn? Even on mild nights some all season bags can still be too warm - just a thought.

For heating inside the tent i used a Coleman black cat heater which can be found on ebay and camping equipment web sites, it runs on Butane / Propane mix canisters which can be found in millets or cheaper at indoor markets. This was fine to use inside a tent providing you use a little common sense like making sure your ventilation flaps aren't fully closed especially on a still night and switching it off before you go to sleep. Most nights i never used it, when most people were walking around wrapped up in there jackets and jumpers i would be lying on my bed in a t-shirt, it's surprising how quickly you adapt.

Lighting outside the tent was provided by a Coleman dual fuel lamp and a headlight (in fact the headlight is an essential for reading in bed and night time toilet visits - a plastic bottle with a wide neck and tight fitting lid is a must for cold rainy nights in a tent at 3am, half asleep and busting for a pee).

If you discover a small leak deal with it asap with tent water proof fabric spray.

Of course, this is advice for tent dwelling but it may be of some use to someone out there or maybe not, i dunno. When i do it again then i would definitely go for the tipi option with a wood burner, this would help with drying your stuff from damp and condensation as you will get from time to time, there's no escape from it. For size i figured it had to be big enough for me, the occasional another person and all my kit with a little space left over so 3-4 person. I'm not sure which brand i would go for but i would start at looking at Tentipi then looking at the alternatives and trawl the net for any forums and reviews by people who use them to get the real picture on them but i certainly wouldn't spend £600 on a Tentipi wood burner that's for sure.

It may be an idea to ask any crusty traveller you may know of as they can offer a mine of useful info, society treats them with utter contempt but they have doing this kind of thing for years, it's amazing how giving a smile, respect and genuine interest can pay so much.

Luxury items i would save up for is a pair of night vision binoculars to watch the wildlife and if i could take one travelling a telescope for star gazing. One thing i already have is a creative Zen Vision:M for keeping music, film and bushcraft dvds on to watch in bed. Get yourself one or a high storage ipod, i'll even send you plenty of already converted bushcraft/survival vids to stick on it.

Best of luck to you Falling Rain, I reckon you gonna do just fine. :You_Rock_

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Some great tips again thanks.
I've got pretty much all the kit I think I'll need already. I've also got a lighter bag for the hotter nights but the 4 season will obviously be for the winter. I did think about a couple of thick woolen blankets too, one for underneath the sleeping bag on the camp bed and one for on top over the sleeping bag.
The only 2 things I havn't got are a decent tent/tipi as you say to stand up to the foulest of weather and a decent heating system. I really want something that is going to be safe. I know about ventilation with some heaters but I want to be sure there are not going to be any accidents. Not as far as CO is concerned. I was thinking about a wood burning stove (i agree the tenttipi stove is expensive) or a garden rubbish bin like this http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CD-GI with a flue going out the top of the tent made from some air conditioning piping. Fairly lightweight and easy to store on the van and secure with some bungees when not in use.
I figure with any fuel it's going to cost a bit but with a wood burner I can be opportunistic and collect wood when I come across some. Side of the road tree down. Pull over, cut some logs, hoof in the back of the van and away.
I've got a coleman dual fuel lamp with a single mantle which is great, but as you say only for outside the tent.
I'll probably spend most of my time outside by the fire (under a tarp if it's raining) and pretty much just sleep in the tent or if it's really blowing a hoolie and crank up the tent heating (whichever one I go for)
The main 2 things I've got to decide are tent and heating method. Loads of good advice on that though so I need to make my choices Everything else is done.
The date I've decided on will probably be the 15th June. Really looking forward to it and the planning is fun too.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
A while back I bought a carp fisher's super de-luxe bed chair (about £100), with adjustable legs, bells, whistles: the whole nine yards. I have to say it really is very comfortable, though obviously not a back-packing item. I will sleep on kip mats, etc., when I must, but when you get past a certain age, the old bones do protest a bit after a night on hard ground.

Burnt Ash

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks dave k - I've sent gill a PM.

Also great idea Burnt Ash. I've got one of those US army style camp cots but a carp fishermans bed/ chair is a great idea. Much more comfortable. I know exactly the sort of thing you're on about. I'll be getting one of those It never occured to me.
I want comfort and am not bothered about carrying stuff as I'm not back packing. (that would be a challenge. Back packing for a year in only a tent) Nice one :You_Rock_

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What about mozzy protection? You can get a mozzy net designed to fit the US cot, it is a dome tent affair with zips and very effective. You can also put them up on the ground, if you like.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Worth thinking about Spam. Hopefully I won't have too many problems with mozzies inside the tent but there's always the odd blighter that gets in.
One thing I have also been thinking about is kit insurance. I'm going to inevitably have to leave some kit during the day when I go off foraging, walking, fishing or whatever and It's not really feesable to pack up the tent everytime I go out for the day. I havn't exactly decided which tent I'm going to use yet but whichever it is It'll be a good few hundred quids worth with bed, bag and bits and bobs. I'll pack all the smaller bits into the van and lock it up but packing the tent and bed etc up every day is going to get to be a pain. So - Can anyone recommend a good company they may have had experience of that does kit insurance and dosn't try to get out of paying up when something is damaged or stolen?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
sounds awesome - i'd love to give it a go, and i must admit i envy you having so little ties, mortgage, kids etc.

I'd buy the book too, and would be happy to have a dram round the fire with ya when you're in the Oxon area.

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
Has no one invented locking tent pegs yet? Could have a shaft inside a pole, as you turn the key in the top of the pole either a disk slides out or an upward pointing spike making its removal very difficult. Then you could put all your stuff in locked boxes and peg them down, obviously people could dig them up but if they were angled under the box you'd at least make their life difficult.

Good for you anyway, its something I'd love to do but I'm just not healthy enough at the moment

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
sounds awesome - i'd love to give it a go, and i must admit i envy you having so little ties, mortgage, kids etc.

I'd buy the book too, and would be happy to have a dram round the fire with ya when you're in the Oxon area.

You'd be welcome Bob as would anyone from BCUK.
I've got so few ties because I hate hassle. I just want a peaceful simple life. I'd never have a mortgage. because I couldn't afford it anyway and It's a big millstone for 25 years.
I've got a job that allows me to do this. Week on week off. The job is easy but the people I have to deal with can sometimes be quite rude with little or no common sense. Can't have it all I suppose :eek:
My son is 18 next year and will be doing his own thing but visiting me at various campsites when he can for a campfire chat and drink :)
Should be great :)

Just out of interest how big a van do you intend to buy? if you cant afford to buy a good strong tent or whatever then converting the van can always be an option, especially if you get a 3 season lavvu etc, you could install your woodburner in your van and sleep in it when the worst of the weather hits this would give you more options when your 'in between sites'. Another idea for a wood burner is to convert an old gas bottle it's quite a simple job and very cheap to do (have a look here for some idea on that).

Have you ever seen Cook on the Wild Side with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall? he had a 'gastrowagon' which was a converted land rover, i wish i had some photo's of it in it's prime but here are a few of it in it's recently found state.
gastrowagon013.jpg

gastrowagon023.jpg

gastrowagon002.jpg

most of it is still there including the shower.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
OMG what happened to it? Did he sell it on or soething? What a shame, it was a really good wagon and now look. The beauty is that it can be fixed, I hope somebody does it.

saffy

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
UK
'gastrowagon' which was a converted land rover, i wish i had some photo's of it in it's prime but here are a few of it in it's recently found state.

whoooa that need some lovings. I recall posts on forums where people had been hunting for the whereabouts of that truck, unregistered for 11 years. I guess they found it in the end.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Has no one invented locking tent pegs yet?

How did I miss this thread? Yes you can buy something that look a bit like a big corkscrew, you screw into the ground and they are used on building sites to secure valuable equipment with big padlocks!

I have been thinking about the same sort of idea, but using a boat on rivers and such. You only get one shot at life, go for it, mate!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE