Baofeng Fanboys & Fan Girls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
What eventually made me not get a Baofeng was that I'd tried Web-based radio stations to listen in to what is actually happening out there, and it's mostly gossip by old guys who treat it like a regular pub table.

For emergency communications that would be different, but then I'd have to get everyone I would like to talk to a radio, as well.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Found this in my email

AR-152 10W Long Range Military Grade Walkie Talkie​

12000mAh Battery​

【Long Range Communication】
Professional Ham Radio
Up to 128 channels
Output :10W ,High/Mid/Low Tri-Power Switching
FCC certificated, FCC ID:2AJGM-AR152
The signal waves have the ability to penetrate wood;
Steel and concrete
Giving you better range and performance in urban environments and around buildings

【Three charging methods】
The battery equipped with 2.5mm charging port can be directly charged, and it can be used for car charger, USB charger and wall charger. Allows you to charge anytime, anywhere, convenient and portable.

【Power Source】
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery packs:Equipped with 1pack Original 12000mAh Extended Battery+Battery Charger ,Support 5-7 days communication,Long standby time: 5-15 days

1701696197212.png

1701696219230.png

Comments from those here that know more about this than I do? any good?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Believe it's functionally equivalent to the UV5-R, just made to look like a L3Harris Falcon for cosplay essentially.

Reactions: TeeDee
Aug 14, 2021
Chorley
I've just ordered a UV5-RH, the 10watt multi band version, I've also started taking the foundation course with Essex Ham online.
I have fond memories of my CB back in the 80's.
Got it for emergency use really, but if I'm stopping old guys being lonely, that's good too.

Reactions: TeeDee

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
The newer Quansheng is now taking over Baofeng sales. Ali Express U.K. is doing some fantastic deals on them. I just received my UV-K5(8) for £6.83 + delivery !
Much nicer radio to use and program.

• Wow
Reactions: Wasp and Broch

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Do I need one of these? I think I might...

What is the difference between UV 5 and UV 82 ?

In terms a total newbie idiot would understand.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I mean this completely genuinely as it’s something I have never looked into… but what is the point? What do you actually do?

I like gadgets and have a very battered bank account recently, so maybe I shouldn’t ask.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I mean this completely genuinely as it’s something I have never looked into… but what is the point? What do you actually do?

I like gadgets and have a very battered bank account recently, so maybe I shouldn’t ask.
It is like the internet without pictures :D

All sorts of interesting information and people out there, particularly useful for local issues in a way the media as it stands just is not.

Emergency call or even preppers planning for the total colapse of society (which I have to say I am not).

Maybe just a chat with someone different. Take your choice.

Reactions: Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

For those of us with an amateur licence it provides a very cheap way to have a portable unit to take out away from our desk bound transmitters.

For those of us without a licence, for less than £30, put it in a draw (but keep the batteries charged) for when TSHTF - maybe there'll be a few of us around to respond :)

Reactions: Chris

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
If anyone is looking at upgrading antennas, check out Broadsword. They are homemade antennas that he makes and has sold them around the world. They are not fancy, but they work.

I was able to listen clearly listen to a repeater 30 miles away that I was unable to listen to using the standard antenna nor a Nagoya. And I wasn't even up a mountain.

He has an ebay store and a facebook page. They are not expensive.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If anyone is looking at upgrading antennas, check out Broadsword. They are homemade antennas that he makes and has sold them around the world. They are not fancy, but they work.

I was able to listen clearly listen to a repeater 30 miles away that I was unable to listen to using the standard antenna nor a Nagoya. And I wasn't even up a mountain.

He has an ebay store and a facebook page. They are not expensive.

I for one appreciate the naming and inclusion of a classic film title reference all in one.

Reactions: Dan00001

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE