Android Apps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Just got myself a Samsung S3, i've been an iphone user for a couple of years so its a bit of a change, just looking to see what apps people have downloaded and think are best?

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Cyanogen mod :)

Mytracks is good for mapping projects (can upload to google maps)
gvsig maps (can use OS)
Dropbox for file access on the go
Evernote for scribbling ideas.
knotsguide.... go on.. can you guess?
Plastic bag, since they're as waterproof as tissue paper.

Last edited:

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Met office app is great for local forecasts on the go.

OS Atlas or Maverick are pretty good mapping systems. Google maps is also excellent, especially as you can pre-select a map area to save to your phone in case you can't get a data signal (if you've no data signal and haven't pre-saved maps then you're scuppered).

One Media Hub backs up all your contacts, tasks, calendar entries, etc online and can also sync with other devices (e.g. phone to outlook)

SMS backup+ backs up your text messages/call logs to a gmail account, ideal if you phone is lost or damaged.

+1 for dropbox - great little app that lets you get access to all you documents/pics on the go which are then accessible through your PC or other devices.

Marine Weather is great if you need up to date tide tables whether for fishing or being out on the water.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Another thumbs up for google skymap, Skobbler GPS ain't bad, Kindle for android is a must have, tvcatchup, tunein radio is a great app, 911 scanner, Accuweather, Adobe reader, Compass, a flashlight app, Netflix, Skydrive, Photobucket (uploads as you take pictures), Skype, Tom & Jerry Tube, Wikipedia, Dutch Oven Calculator ...........et al

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
for navigation definately locus pro and its addons, ordinance survey maps, offline, track recording, its marvelous

another vote for smart tools and evernote

in th s3 gallery, there is a small evernote icon which makes it easy to add your photo to an evernote, and the geotag of the photo becomes the location of the evernote, so you can add text and voice to the photo, which makes a great way to store POI, which can be viewed in locus

As you have an S3, I quite like chaton as a messenger, the send location feature is useful, and the walkie talkie bit

SAS survival guide by lofty
knots guide
emergency button
YUKI
first aid british red cross

here is a complete list of my installed apps, a lot are fun stuff and games and junk
http://www.appbrain.com/user/neoaliphant/samsung-galaxy-s3

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
compass
google earth
flashlight
GV sig mini maps
roger phillips mushrooms
sundroid
trees uk
google translate
spirit level
Kingsoft office

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
geocashing is awesome and helps drag your kids outside !
opera mobile for web browsing and online videos
doubletwist for a music player
soundcloud for fresh music no matter your taste
OI file manager
zedge for notifications ringtones All free and user search
Hackers keyboard
Sky map (sky map devs) brilliant for star gazers
app cache cleaner
Whats app for FREE MSG - PICTURE AND VIDEO MSG
worms for gaming
Movember Mobile
netflix for films watched via wifi only
App 2 sd helps move your apps to the sd BEWARE widgets wont work if moved on some apps
tiny flash light + led handy little widget switches back light on/off
Orion viewer very good PDf file viewer for reading books online
Tvcatchup for most local tv
History Eraser

sorry long list

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
British birds soundboard. Sit in the woods and interact with the birds, great fun.
U.S. army survival. Loads of info.
Flow free. very addictive game.
These are free apps.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
As well as those mentioned above:

Android Armour.
Military mountaineering fm-397.61
ViewRanger GPS
Trees Uk is basic but good.
I also find a dictaphone app comes in handy. Like tape-a-talk

Not an app but a download, Some foraging guides here: http://www.wildfoodschool.co.uk/urban/index.htm

and if you look around you can find raymond mears survival handbook on a .pdf as well.

Last edited:

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
oooh the biggie that I forgot.

Prey. Its an anti theft app that runs in the background. Should you lose your phone, you can either logon to the web or send a text to your phone to activate it to report its location. It can also be set to trigger alerts if the sim is changed.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
For hardware for the S3

I recommend the Trident Kraken AMS case, much better than otterbox in my opinion, feels very good in the hand
very good protection

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Here's a few more:

ConvertPad - converts between all different measurements (lengths, volumes, weights etc etc etc)
Tide Times - shows predicted tides
Sun Moon and Planets - rising and setting times in a table
Google Maps
Google Latitude - allows tracking of you or your friends (if you like that sort of thing)
Google Earth
Wild Edibles (Free)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE