a 5000 year old flint tool i found.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
heres a thumb scraper i found whilst out with the dogs ,it has been dated by the museum to around 3500BC.

i found it in a field next to my home,which isnt that suprising really as we live in the shadow of whitesheet down which has 2 large neolithic camps there.

DSC00830.jpg

DSC00831.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Over the millenia flint acquires a patina.Its very subtle on some tools, on others its very visible.It kind of looks like a thin milky wash.Also they often have iron staining from iron minerals in the soil.The first pic shows this clearly.
Amazing thing i reckon...I love Flint tools.Theres probably many more where you found it.
Most of the flint tools ive found have come back from the p.a.s as 'undatable prehistoric'.Some have been pinned down to the Neolithic or the Bronze age.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
looks like it would have been used on hide more than arrow shafts......looks just like some bits i have worken on, you can clearly see the flaker marks from when its been sharpened/re-flaked........

great find, keep on looking mate.......

regards...

chris............................................................................

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
according to the local museum it can be dated due to the style being found allong with datable items in the area.

i shall no doubt give it to the museum at some point,i have donated most of my finds including some roman stuff.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, dating for this sort of thing is primarily stylistic. Whilst people could have made similar tools at just about any point in history, we know that fashion changes through time.

As for how you originally work out what styles were in use at what time, that's down to careful observation of stratigraphy (how things occur in layers) and finding directly datable material (bone, charcoal, and so forth) in the same layers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE