Advice for 16 year old buying a lock knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not here you don’t. You‘re American and commenting on a thread about UK knife carry. Your situation is totally irrelevant.
I carried over there for four years as well. And as I said, so did nearly everybody I knew there at the time.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It´s not the same UK today as it was 30 years ago. A whole lot of gun laws and knife laws have changed since.
Yeah, I understand laws have changed. My point about how many people carry is more about people and a way of thinking than about laws. The generation I knew then hasn’t died out.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Sharing you opinion is all very well but when its legally wong it offers no help

you can't 'just swap' knife with Alcohol becasue its suits you. The Licensing Act 2003 specifically states
  • It is illegal for a person under 18 years to buy or attempt to buy alcohol or to consume alcohol in a licensed premises.
And yet you have failed to find the legislation that backs your statement that it is illegal to gift a knife to somone who is under 18

I'm sure people on here would like to know especially those with kids that they might want to gift their first bushcraft knife at someone point...
, the OP was talking about a non-legal knife, this means a knife that it is against the law to have, the law is quite explicit that it lists the knives that are illegal, to buy, sell, have, gift etc, look at the law

Banned knives and weapons
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

• butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
  • disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
  • flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade
And it goes on to list all illegal knives, later on the OP changed the title to "Lock Knife" which although it is illegal to sell to a person under 18, is not an illegal knife..

My point regarding the alcohol, was that it is illegal to purchase alcohol for someone under age, and i am sure that if you went into a shop after being asked by someone under 18 to buy them a knife, and then purchased that knife and gave it to them, it would probably constitute a crime, now that is my opinion and I could be wrong, and if it isn't a crime, then that's the way to get all the knives these kids need to go around stabbing each other.
And please look at the title of the thread, even after it's been changed.there is no argument about legality, it is illegal for someone to buy a lock knife if they are 16 y.o.as 16 y.olds in Scotland are only allowed to buy Cutlery
"Advice for 16 year old buying a lock knife?"
The only advice that could be given, is do not buy it.There is no point arguing about it.

The OP should have probably asked, " Is it advisable to buy my 16 year old a lock knife"

Telemarkmike

May 23, 2020
Scotland
, the OP was talking about a non-legal knife, this means a knife that it is against the law to have, the law is quite explicit that it lists the knives that are illegal, to buy, sell, have, gift etc, look at the law

It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

• butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
  • disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
And it goes on to list all illegal knives, later on the OP changed the title to "Lock Knife" which although it is illegal to sell to a person under 18, is not an illegal knife..

My point regarding the alcohol, was that it is illegal to purchase alcohol for someone under age, and i am sure that if you went into a shop after being asked by someone under 18 to buy them a knife, and then purchased that knife and gave it to them, it would probably constitute a crime, now that is my opinion and I could be wrong, and if it isn't a crime, then that's the way to get all the knives these kids need to go around stabbing each other.
And please look at the title of the thread, even after it's been changed.there is no argument about legality, it is illegal for someone to buy a lock knife if they are 16 y.o.as 16 y.olds in Scotland are only allowed to buy Cutlery
The only advice that could be given, is do not buy it.There is no point arguing about it.

The OP should have probably asked, " Is it advisable to buy my 16 year old a lock knife"
I'm sorry for any confusion caused with the original title but if you follow the thread you will see that I was not talking about illegal or banned knifes but locking knifes.

Reactions: santaman2000

Telemarkmike

May 23, 2020
Scotland

Also, to clarify, the title was later changed by one of the moderators, not me. Again, apologies for the original misleading title, I wrote it quickly without enough thought into the confusion that it might cause

LukeR

May 9, 2020
Glasgow

I don't think it's particularly helpful to state your opinion on what you think the law is. To quote the government guidance:

It’s illegal to:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
There is no mention at all of gifting a knife to someone younger.

Reactions: Erbswurst

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Slightly OT but, I own a few lock knives but seldom use them. The reason beeing that in bushcraft use a fixed one is almost never a worse choice. If thinking of the odd British law a green Mora might even look more bushcraft than fighter.

White wine goes with fish, yes, if no fish in sight and thirsty, sausages are counted as fish.

Just came to my mind when reading the definitions of prohibited knives.

(Our Finnish legislation on that subject is even more idiotic.)

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
My parents always taught me it was unlucky to gift a knife to somebody for free. The recipient had to offer silver coins as payment. Doesn’t this avoid the ‘gifting‘ arguement; or were my parents just trying to recover money given by the ‘tooth fairy’
We have the same thing, but my mum say 'what if you use it to kill yourself' , which is a bit morbid and why my brothers don't get knives for Christmas.

• Haha
Reactions: richy3333

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Banned knives and weapons...

blah blah blah...

I know the law thanks and the advice you offered was poorly written at the very most.

you should have read what he wrote in the first post rather than run away with a poorly chosen title.

He talked about a compression lock Spydrco.

he's even cleared that up several times. What I wanted to find out is where the bit come from in you post

Just a comment on the title of the thread, if a knife is "non UK legal", then the definitive answer is Do not carry it.
Also because a knife is tagged as EDC, does not mean it is legal to carry it in the UK, the Laws on carrying knives is quite explicit and should be studied.
One other point the OP should take into consideration, is that it is illegal to buy a knife for someone under 18, even as a gift , and it is a criminal offence if you do, unless the particular knife is allowed under the Law.

If you were realy talking about knives on the banned list why add the for somone part - clearly you can't buy anything banned whether its for your 18 year old kid or your 98 year old granny.

anyway I'm off its a sunny morning, OP's had the correct advice from a number of contributers and I'm sure if they need legal council they'll look in the right place...

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
From reading the thread from the start its clear to me that the OP trusts his lad to be sensible and that the 16 year old already has a number of fixed bladed knives.
The question is whether anybody uses a locking knife for EDC and the answer pretty much across the board is no, non locking sub 3 inch seems to be the preferred choice. The benefit being that you can largely forget about it and there’s no reasonable excuse needed.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
From reading the thread from the start its clear to me that the OP trusts his lad to be sensible and that the 16 year old already has a number of fixed bladed knives.
The question is whether anybody uses a locking knife for EDC and the answer pretty much across the board is no, non locking sub 3 inch seems to be the preferred choice. The benefit being that you can largely forget about it and there’s no reasonable excuse needed.

This^

nothing more needed

Telemarkmike

May 23, 2020
Scotland
This^

nothing more needed

Absolutely,

thank you so much for all of your advice. The good advice has been taken on board and the bad advice/life coaches/off topic suggestions have been used largely for entertainment. Have a good day, stay safe, enjoy the good weather.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Absolutely,

thank you so much for all of your advice. The good advice has been taken on board and the bad advice/life coaches/off topic suggestions have been used largely for entertainment. Have a good day, stay safe, enjoy the good weather.

Yep, don't judge the forum members too harshly by this thread alone; this topic always brings up some quite polarised views hence the comment at #2 :)

Welcome to the forum by the way; I hope there's more here to interest you than just the discussions around knives :)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
85 to 89. Then again in 91.

yeah very different period then, i was a teenager in the early 90's and used to carry a small penknife, i remember my dad and my grandad both carrying a knife all the time aswell, i still have my fathers.

However fast forward 30 years and we now live in a nanny state, having a penknife or similar on your person is now much more socially unacceptable :( :( :(

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I think it's ridiculous that you can't carry a multitool like a leatherman without an obvious immediate need, kind of defeats the purpose of having one, but since that's the law mine usually stays at home nowadays.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE