Advice for 16 year old buying a lock knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, well, unfortunatley we live in an age in which its easy for a boy to get a crimminal record; and that can cause him trouble years down the line...

...He might get drunk and do something stupid...

...He might get drunk and do something stupid with (an equally drunk) girl...

(Notice its never her fault...and our so called morality laws are not interested in HER antics...)

He might get in trouble for hanging round with the wrong crowd (even though he did nothing himself).

I myself could tell you some horror stories...I imagine you can too.

Im glad Im not the mother of a boy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the support and words of encouragement
My sons learned from a very young age ,first penknives 6 or 7 , making bows etc moved into axes ,fixed bales etc spoon carving and the like ,youngest is now 17 middle 19 oldest 25 all very responsible knife carriers, now when and where and all now correct use .its not the knife that's dangerous it's the owner .as you say it's our job to educate the new generation to behave responsibly in all aspects of life not just cutting tools .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

I agree, and my sons were similarly 'educated', but the reality is that it's not sons like ours that are generally the problem, but they can all too easily become embroiled in the problem simply because they do have a knife in their pocket, because of the actions of others.

It's a society problem, and though I think it's unfortunate, and somewhat of an own goal, society's answer is to try to ban all knives rather than teaching that responsibly used they're very, very useful tools.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
He is concerned with the safety of a slip joint knife and therefore not so keen on the ukpk.

Personally it's all I carry and with the right techniques and concentration perfectly safe

but I would argue towards a SAK or more tradititonal style knife

Spyderco's look cool but I've always found the handles uncomfortable with prolonged use

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@ Toddy and C_Claycomb: Yeah, storekeepers and others here can be leery of various things as well for similar reasons. bottom you infer (that while something may be lega as such there could still be repercussions—-in our case here those might likely be a civil lawsuit)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There was a motto on BB (British Blades) that BB really stood for Buy Both. ;)

If I didn’t have the Para2 I’d definitely have the Para3. I might even yet, it’s a knife I covet. A UKPK for the every day stuff, a Para3 for more brutish activities. The law works surprisingly well, if he has a need to carry the Para3, that’s good enough. If he doesn’t, then he shouldn’t be carrying it.

Just for interest here’s a pic of the Benchmade Griptilian in G10 and the Para2 with some custom scales. Of the two, the Grip is much more comfortable in hand. It’s one of the things that’s kept the Griptilians constantly in production. I have a closed plastic handled version that became a favourite hard use working knife, the axis lock is as solid a lock as you’re going to get. Notice though, the thicker blade stock of the Para3, they will also take a beating but the handle is quite thin for prolonged use, as Corso mentioned.

398EAA32-DE20-47BF-87F8-7745C3C0C5C0.jpeg
68A7D540-96A4-47F5-BE38-604BF79F005C.jpeg
2FCE2A2F-5A8D-4DF0-9FB6-B03FBEAEF3AD.jpeg

One other thing. Experience has shown me that losing either of these pricy knives is painful. On my working knives I fit a blaze orange paracord lanyard. Pocket clips have a habit of snagging on clothing, brash, bramble etc, it’s very easy to suddenly find it gone. Theres a lot to be said for a beater type knife, the Spyderco Tenacious served me well, and though I never lost it, I wouldn’t have cried for long before just buying another. I can’t say that for either of the two above, both are in £200 territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telemarkmike

The puffin squire

May 19, 2020
Kent
Yes, well, unfortunatley we live in an age in which its easy for a boy to get a crimminal record; and that can cause him trouble years down the line...

...He might get drunk and do something stupid...

...He might get drunk and do something stupid with (an equally drunk) girl...

(Notice its never her fault...and our so called morality laws are not interested in HER antics...)

He might get in trouble for hanging round with the wrong crowd (even though he did nothing himself).

I myself could tell you some horror stories...I imagine you can too.

Im glad Im not the mother of a boy.
It all comes down to education ,my sons would never carry a knife unless off to the woods or fishing .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Depends. I know very few males over 8 years old who don’t. And very few adult women who don’t. Wearing socks isn’t obligatory either, yet most people do.

To be honest Santaman when in company and a penknife is needed I am usually the only one with one. I would estimate only 10%, if that, in the UK carry a knife of any kind.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
citation please? As far as I can find its only illegal to sell a knife (unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less) to someone under 18?

Again this referred to the thread title , which was a non-legal knife, now I know the title has been changed, but as it would be illegal for a 16 y.o. to buy a "lock Knife", then that knife if bought could be seen as a illegal knife,, if someone over 18 bought the knife knowing it is was for someone who could not legally buy it themselves, then that could be construed as being an illegal act, depending on the circumstances,.....swap knife for alcohol.

Now it is not against the Law for a person under 18 to actually own a knife whether it is fixed or not, and even if it has a blade beyond the 3 inches, as long as the knife is not an "illegal knife" as listed in the statutes.
It must always be remembered that a "reasonable cause" to carry a knife, would depend on the circumstances at the time you were stopped by the Plod, and if you could not convince them, then you are liable to arrest, and any youth carrying any knife legal or not, in these times would struggle to convince a Policeman he had good cause, again depending on the circumstances, if a Policeman came across a youth at a campsite cooking his breakfast and using a fixed blade to help him, I am sure he would be OK, again the circumstances would determine the outcome.and of course the demeanour of the youth.
It must be remembered we live in draconian times regarding knives, take no chances.
(these are my opinions)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Again this referred to the thread title , which was a non-legal knife, now I know the title has been changed, but as it would be illegal for a 16 y.o. to buy a "lock Knife", then that knife if bought could be seen as a illegal knife,, if someone over 18 bought the knife knowing it is was for someone who could not legally buy it themselves, then that could be construed as being an illegal act, depending on the circumstances,.....swap knife for alcohol.

Now it is not against the Law for a person under 18 to actually own a knife whether it is fixed or not, and even if it has a blade beyond the 3 inches, as long as the knife is not an "illegal knife" as listed in the statutes.
It must always be remembered that a "reasonable cause" to carry a knife, would depend on the circumstances at the time you were stopped by the Plod, and if you could not convince them, then you are liable to arrest, and any youth carrying any knife legal or not, in these times would struggle to convince a Policeman he had good cause, again depending on the circumstances, if a Policeman came across a youth at a campsite cooking his breakfast and using a fixed blade to help him, I am sure he would be OK, again the circumstances would determine the outcome.and of course the demeanour of the youth.
It must be remembered we live in draconian times regarding knives, take no chances.
(these are my opinions)

Sharing you opinion is all very well but when its legally wong it offers no help

you can't 'just swap' knife with Alcohol becasue its suits you. The Licensing Act 2003 specifically states
  • It is illegal for a person under 18 years to buy or attempt to buy alcohol or to consume alcohol in a licensed premises.
And yet you have failed to find the legislation that backs your statement that it is illegal to gift a knife to somone who is under 18

I'm sure people on here would like to know especially those with kids that they might want to gift their first bushcraft knife at someone point...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE