2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Without making this sound like an advert (which is is not!) everytime I call into Tamarack they seem to have some cold weather boots (Baffin etc) amongst the secondhand kit in the far corner or the back room. It may be worth giving them a ring?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
ItW,
the Lacrosse boots I mentioned will only cost you £30 ( plus a bit of postage, about£5 I would guess )
The wool liners that come with them alone would cost you a bout £20-£25 IF you could find a pair on this side of the pond! )
You are right, not an everyday pair of boots, and not ones that you would use unless it got below -0 over here but good re-sell value on them I would think
as getting hold of good cold weather/pac boots in the UK is tricky to say the least.
OR go with barryasmiths idea ( or any of the others mentioned above! )
Hope this helps, good luck.
Chris.

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
ItW,
If you would like to save some money, then the boots we rent are very warm and you have the option of trying on many different sizes to get the perfect fit, or swapping after a couple of days.
if you would like to own your own cold weather boots (and pray for snow every year!) then I just tried these on:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/solden-id_8158304.html

They seem to be very good boots for a good price.

Hope this helps

Ross

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
just a heads up to you all ,i received a email from taunton leisure and i noticed they had some sorel boots rated to -40 with 30% off the price ?
i hope this may help you .

cheers andrew.

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Thanks for all the advice people! some good options, I would hire boots but im in Norway a few days before and after the course. Some good sale on too, although mostly not in my size or dont except exchanges on sale items. But ive now got a better idea of what to go for. What does everyone think of the temperature ratings eg -20/-40/-60/-100etc are these to be taken with a pinch of salt, is it more down to the liners, im assuming I should definitely be getting a pair with liners?

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
All,

The Lat and Long of the nearest village for the Advanced Arctic course are

Overbygd Village (Skjod)

Lat: 69 Deg 01' 27"
Lon: 19 Deg 17' 48"

The actual location of the expedition farm and surrounding area is not being published at the request of the owner.

Regards
Becky

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for all the advice people! some good options, I would hire boots but im in Norway a few days before and after the course. Some good sale on too, although mostly not in my size or dont except exchanges on sale items. But ive now got a better idea of what to go for. What does everyone think of the temperature ratings eg -20/-40/-60/-100etc are these to be taken with a pinch of salt, is it more down to the liners, im assuming I should definitely be getting a pair with liners?

The unlined boots take an age to dry out, at least with liners, you can remove them and dry them round the fire.

My Unlined -20 baffins are pretty warm underfoot . They don't have a waffle insole though, just a reflective double footbed and are't as warm as my -100's (theres a shock :) ) I've only used them down to -8, so can't really say. They are definitley warmer than my 4 season scarpa's though. My guess is that standing around in them at -20 will be on their limit.

Make sure you get much bigger Baffins than you usually wear;-2-3 sizes up is about right.

Theres some great prices on Amazon.com again for Baffins. These for example, will cost you about £66 to your door.

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Dear All

If you intend to hire clothing/sleeping bags in country please email me your requirements at inforequest@bushcraftexpeditions.com . Items are limited in number so it is on a first come first served basis

Boots £5.00 per day

Sleeping Bag £5.00 per day

Snow Suits £4.00 per day

regards
Becky

Last edited:

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi All

It has come to my attention that there is not a kit list on this forum, many apologies but this is an oversight that we had not noticed and no one had questioned

Please find below a full Kit List:

Kit and Equipment

Clothing you will need to bring:

• Wind/waterproof outer jacket. (ski wear is sufficient for this)
• Wind/waterproof outer trousers or saloppettes. (ski wear is sufficient for this)
• Warm outdoor/work trousers (1 pairs)
• Warm outdoor shirts (1)
• Fleece jacket or large sweater
• Cold weather hat preferably with ear protection
• Cold weather mitts or gloves
• Cold weather boots or walking type boots (large enough to be able to wear two pairs of thick socks with and not be tight /restrictive)
• Thermal underwear (1 set)
• Thick socks, preferably wool (3 pairs minimum)
• spare lightweight wool hat or similar
• Thin pair of work gloves
• Scarf or neck buff
• Slippers or trainers for indoors/tents
• Handkerchief
• Long belt (Preferably leather)

Equipment you will need to bring:

• Large (70ltr+) rucksack capable of carrying all your equipment
• Sleeping bag (four seasons for use in temperatures down to -15)
• Insulated sleeping mat
• Bivouac (Bivvi) bag and Tarp/Shelter sheet
• Head torch and spare batteries
• Mug, knife, fork and spoon and cooker if not cooking over open fire.
• Billy cans (preferable) or mess tins (for cooking over open fires)
• Small pocket knife
• Small steel thermos type flask (optional but highly recommended)
• 10 metres of strong nylon cord
• Note book and pencil
• Wash bag
• Two candles (long life preferably)
• Ski goggles or similar eye protection (sun glasses)

Personal medications/Items:

• Lip salve
• Sun block
• Passport
• European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Becky,

Thanks for the list.

Some small questions:
- saws and axes are optional, is that right?
- cooker is optional (in the first post of the thread it was stated that each student has to bring a cooker)
- tarp is optional or mandatory?
- no need for a fixed blade?

Not kit, but we need to bring food for the duration of the course.

Lennart

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Just had a nice chat with Becky.
She will get these questions squared away for us.
I am sure a fixed blade is the way to go, everyone brought and used one last year including all the instructors.
Chris.

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Hi Lennart
Here are the answers to your questions:

saws and axes are optional, is that right? - OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED

cooker is optional (in the first post of the thread it was stated that each student has to bring a cooker) - COOKERS ARE NOT OPTIONAL - EVERY ONE MUST BRING ONE

tarp is optional or mandatory? - MANDATORY

no need for a fixed blade? -- IF BRINGING AN AXE, A FOLDING KNIFE WILL SUFFICE, IF NOT THEN THEY SHOULD BRING A FIXED BLADE

Not kit, but we need to bring food for the duration of the course. - YES

regards
Becky

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
A timely reminder - I went walking today up to about 2200' feet in temperatures between -2 and -5 Centigrade. Despite only wearing a light fleece under my windproof clothing I was absolutely saturated! Even the insides of my gloves were wet.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
All the reservations and flights are finalised now so my plan so far is this:

Fly from Manchester at 12:55 landing at Oslo 15:50 3rd March 2012
(Overnight stay at the airport unfortunately)
Fly from Oslo 09:00 Landing at Bardufoss 10:50 4th March 2012

Hotel Bardufoss from 4th to 5th of March.
(Stock up with food at supermarket before checking out on Monday morning)

Two days and nights out on my own before dragging myself into Målselvfossen campsite on the 7th March for one night in a cabin to dry out gear, charge batteries, wash and brush up.

Two more days and nights out before checking back into the Hotel Bardufoss on 10th March for another wash and brush up, drying and charging session.

Check out on the 11th and drag myself back to the airport for the RV and pick up for the course.

The course runs then until the drop off on the 16th which gives me a couple more nights out before my flights home.

Early arrival at Bardufoss on the 18th March to sort out checking in of baggage through three flights.

Fly from Bardufoss 11:20. Landing at Oslo 13.10
Fly from Oslo 13:45. Landing at Copenhagen 14.55
Fly from Copenhagen 17:35. Landing at Manchester 18:30 18th March 2012

Of course, as we all know, no plan survives first contact with the enemy...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE