2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Whiskey for me too, I'll be grabbing a duty free bottle to bring over.

+3 on not drinking much, it makes me sweat in my sleeping bag.

Chris, if you want a quick boil/snow melt mate, you are welcome to boil up on my petrol trangia. I'll have plenty of petrol. I'm taking a 27 to save space, you might be able to put your pot straight in it.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
[video=youtube;0GQ6pE3An-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQ6pE3An-Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Just started watching this Les Stroud vid.

Last edited:

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
I hope you have an awesome time boys im pretty gutted that I cant come and im gonna be jelous as hell when I see the pics after it. I will definatley try and book myself on 1 soon !!! Its hard with kids eh!!!!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Free online mapping of Norway

The print function doesn't work but it looks useful for picking out some paths.

The weather over there may not be ideal for us, but the space weather is looking great :)
Some of the pics of the aurora posted over the last couple of days from there are immense.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The print function does work.

Hit the print button on the top of the map and it starts a pop up.

Choose your scale, Paper format, DPI (dots per inch) and export format (I chose PDF) on the bottom right of the popup and then hit the "Lag utskrift" button below.

You can then print it from Adobe reader.

I wish I'd found that before I forked out a load of dosh on maps.
17433.gif

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been looking for a way to load them onto my phone, the free Norgekart app needs an internet connection over there and will cost a bomb in data allowance. Maybe I can get them in there as PDF's?

Map and compass too of course (and basic gps).

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Guys, one thing Im really struggling with at the moment are BOOTS! Its gonna be difficult to break them in in time anyway, but Ive been trawling the web, searching for a decent pair, looks like most of the recommended Boots on the web eg. Baffins etc are not that available in uk especially for a reasonable price anyhow, finding a local store to try these sorts of boots on seems almost impossible and shipping seems costly, without knowing what size to get and running the risk of them not fitting and have to be returned. Maybe I dont have to get the big pac boots/maybe I do?, the hunting boots seem to ''look'' more comfortable also seem more practicle to be able to use somewhere other than the arctic, although Im worried if they will be warm enough for me. But dont really want to buy pac boots (If I have to I will) if Im only going to use them at the most once a year. Any advice/pictures/links on any, dare I say it : REasonably priced boots would be very welcome, especially from anyone who is/has been to these climates. What temperature extremes could we be looking at in march?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Its a big issue.
2x oversized leather ( unlined, high leg ) will do you with 2-3 pairs of socks and a felt insole.
Army surplus should get you sorted at the lowest cost.
Chris.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Guys, one thing Im really struggling with at the moment are BOOTS! Its gonna be difficult to break them in in time anyway, but Ive been trawling the web, searching for a decent pair, looks like most of the recommended Boots on the web eg. Baffins etc are not that available in uk especially for a reasonable price anyhow, finding a local store to try these sorts of boots on seems almost impossible and shipping seems costly, without knowing what size to get and running the risk of them not fitting and have to be returned. Maybe I dont have to get the big pac boots/maybe I do?, the hunting boots seem to ''look'' more comfortable also seem more practicle to be able to use somewhere other than the arctic, although Im worried if they will be warm enough for me. But dont really want to buy pac boots (If I have to I will) if Im only going to use them at the most once a year. Any advice/pictures/links on any, dare I say it : REasonably priced boots would be very welcome, especially from anyone who is/has been to these climates. What temperature extremes could we be looking at in march?

I noticed Tamarack have Sorels for £90, maybe order a couple of pairs and see which fits best?

http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acatalog/CLEARANCE_LIST.html

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts

Hi there, I've done a couple of similar trips and based on that experience and the fact that you don't want to spend a fortune Id suggest 2 options:

1. Hire boots from woody. When we went last time the guys who hired boots had no complaints.

2. Buy a pair of these http://www.surplusandadventure.com/.../used-swedish-vintage-winter-boot-995159.html

These boots are amazing, so good that when the first pair arrived i ordered another. Buy them 2-3 sizes larger (I ended up with a 15 or Swedish 310) and load up with socks and felt insoles. Despite what I read about other peoples experiences I found surplus and adventure to be really helpful and they only charged £3 postage.

Whatever you do buy unlined boots and use loads of socks or buy boots with a removable liner. You are going to be sleeping out for a week and you need to be able to dry your boots properly, removable liners are the only way to do this and worst case you can put them in your sleeping bag overnight to dry them off.

Have fun, I wish I was going this year but we've just had twins so I'm having an adventure here instead!

Barry

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE