2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
images
Apple Schnapps. This is the taste of Norway for me because I always get some on the way.

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Good man!
Looks like we will be flying together from Amsterdam and meeting up with Teepee in Oslo for the last leg. It seems most of us will be there a couple of days before and after.
Current plan is to camp near the airport for the first night, shop for provisions the next day, then see if there is a nice snowy path towards the course location. If so, we might walk up there. If we don't fancy the hike or conditions are bad, we take public transport to the course location and do a bit of a walk about up there (or huddle freezing our buts off depending on the weather :rolleyes:).

I will bring the cognac and cigars ;)

Nice one! I wonder what treat I should bring, I think I will definitely bring a bottle of something with me, Its crazy expensive in Norway so best buy before I go, Well it was down south when I was there, even away from the cities. I wish I could bring all my rations as well as Im sure a weeks shop is probably going to be a eye opener at the check out. I dont think I got room to bring much food though with the weight restriction.

Ducky do you know what seat number you on for all the flights ?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Whats everyone doing for travel insurance?

I believe were covered on the course but that won't include the days before and after.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I have got an 'indoor and outdoor sports' insurance through the Dutch Alpine Club (yes, there is such a thing ;)). This covers my back country skiing trips, so it should be good for this, but will double check.

May 30, 2011
East Boldon
Hi guys, not long to go now, still plenty of kit to sort though!

My travel details are below, stopping in Oslo a few days before and a day after to stay with a mate, but will rv with you all before or after the bardufoss flight.

From London-Gatwick (LGW) to Oslo (Rygge) (RYG)
Fri, 09Mar12 Flight FR1396 Depart LGW at 13:00 and arrive RYG at 16:10

From Oslo (Rygge) (RYG) to London-Gatwick (LGW)
Sat, 17Mar12 Flight FR1397 Depart RYG at 13:00 and arrive LGW at 14:10

See you all soon,

Matt

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Insurance - my wife & I have a Post Office annual policy that will cover my travel.

Booze - Norway's not in the EU, so I should be able to get some duty-free scotch on the way. If anyone else is planning getting whisky, maybe we should list them to ensure we have a nice variety!

My itinerary - outbound 10 March BA from LHR to Oslo 1700 arriving 2010, then 11 March Norwegian 0900 to Bardufoss arriving 1050. Inbound 16 March Norwegian 1530 from Bardufoss to LGW via Oslo.

Thanks to baggage limitations, weight is a worry so I'm still playing with my kit list. On that subject, what stoves are people planning to take? I was thinking of my dear old Trangia, but my reading round Arctic camping tells me that will be too slow for effective cooking and melting snow for water. So, any thoughts or recommendations on affordable multi-fuel pressure stoves?

Ted W

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Insurance - my wife & I have a Post Office annual policy that will cover my travel.

Booze - Norway's not in the EU, so I should be able to get some duty-free scotch on the way. If anyone else is planning getting whisky, maybe we should list them to ensure we have a nice variety!

My itinerary - outbound 10 March BA from LHR to Oslo 1700 arriving 2010, then 11 March Norwegian 0900 to Bardufoss arriving 1050. Inbound 16 March Norwegian 1530 from Bardufoss to LGW via Oslo.

Thanks to baggage limitations, weight is a worry so I'm still playing with my kit list. On that subject, what stoves are people planning to take? I was thinking of my dear old Trangia, but my reading round Arctic camping tells me that will be too slow for effective cooking and melting snow for water. So, any thoughts or recommendations on affordable multi-fuel pressure stoves?

Ted W

I am bringing my hipflask, so a couple of shots for morale, so to speak. Perhaps wise not to bring bottles of booze as drinking too much alcohol in the cold is a recipe for death ;)
A few thimbles of this and some of that could be nice though around the fire.

For cooking/snow melting I am going to use the MSR dragonfly. I have replaced some of the rubber seals so should be good to go and I am bringing a repair kit as well.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Thanks, DUCky, you're right about the booze, not that I was planning on getting ratted!

The MSR Whisperlite Internationale seems reasonably priced, so I'm presently thinking about that. Has anyone ever used one of the Hong Kong MSR/Primus rip-offs - they're almost cheap enough to use and discard, but are they safe and effective?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Whiskey. ( My rule is simple, a slug or two AFTER the fire is made and knives and axes are away for the evening. )
I shall be taking my Trangis ( No choice, its all I have ) I guess I should bring it with a Trangia Triangle and a Zebra pot ( which can be used over an open fire better. )
If anyone is looking for boots, I have a pair of Lacrosse De-icer Packboots, size 9 for sale. These are built oversize, I wore them last trip without the 9mm felt boot but with 3 pairs of socks and I am a broard 91/2. Ideal with the thick felt bootie for an 8 or 7. ( I get on better with socks, I use the booties to sleep in! )
Can't wait to meet you guys.
Chris.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Interesting, Widu13, can you point me at the seller. I have to watch the pennies ATM!:(

My usual seller is on his hols for the next few days, but hi feedback is excellent considering the sheer number of sales:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/plus2city/&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2754

This is the latest incarnation of my stove which has been very good so far for under £40 delivered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camping-M...Supplies_ET&hash=item1e66421fbb#ht_9465wt_825

Also search eBay for "Multi fuel stove" to give you an idea what is out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE