2012 bcuk Advanced Arctic Expedition

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Picked up a small ( expedition sized ! ) bottle of 'Liquid Fire ' chilli sauce from Chilli Pepper Pete's
In Brighton, good sized, lightweight ( smaller than a bottle of Tabasco and much tastier! )
Also a packet of piri-piri mix, both should help spice up those camp fire meals !
They do mail order, nice bunch of people ( No other conection ect...)
Not long now chaps!
Chris.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Anyone thinking of drying their own food/meals?
I would like to prepare a couple of dried meals myself. I have to get my biltong maker from the attic and do a batch.
I am thinking couscous with chicken and courgette, pasta with dried tomato and basil and some macaroni ham cheese.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Anyone thinking of drying their own food/meals?
I would like to prepare a couple of dried meals myself. I have to get my biltong maker from the attic and do a batch.
I am thinking couscous with chicken and courgette, pasta with dried tomato and basil and some macaroni ham cheese.

I'm not past the thinking stage yet, but I'll be making a few batches.

I've got plenty of potato cakes all done and I'm making plenty of Beef jerky. Macaroni ham cheese sounds good also, thats added to the list.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Temperature to rise above zero later this week, I'm bringing wellies and waterproofs!

http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Troms/Målselv/Skjold/long.html

probability_forecast.png

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Let's hope that after the sharp rise in temp comes a sharp fall. It seems to be maxing out at Thursday. I will pray to the weathergods today.

If temps are indeed around or above zero and we will be walking around in the slush, all the more learning opportunity for hypothermia prevention and maintaining good morale. When I did my Journeyman course, the instructors reminded us: "the worse the weather, the greater the learning experience". Agreed, but if the weathergods are listening, I am getting us back to -20C and sunny ;)

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Before I start a thread, I want to sew some MOLLE type strips/tabs on my rucksack so I can strap extra kit to to the outside of my pack. The local sewing repair shops wont do it as its fiddly and I explained they need to be done correct because they will be load bearing. Any Ideas? Some where local would be Ideal. Im living in neath/south wales. Cheers Shane
Ps Ive tried myself, I am no seamstress, Im just making a mess!

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I dont think I got any more room for decent waterproofs, I think ill just have to make do with ski wear if the weather is wet

If the skiwear proves not to be waterproof and we are in a drizzle for the whole week, you could be in for some real suffering ;)

Ultralight pocho perhaps or some large garbage bags for emergency backup?

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Ducky, what set up you using for the days before the course, do you know how many of us are there the same time as us before the course ?

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Before I start a thread, I want to sew some MOLLE type strips/tabs on my rucksack so I can strap extra kit to to the outside of my pack. The local sewing repair shops wont do it as its fiddly and I explained they need to be done correct because they will be load bearing. Any Ideas? Some where local would be Ideal. Im living in neath/south wales. Cheers Shane
Ps Ive tried myself, I am no seamstress, Im just making a mess!

Are you set on MOLLE? I can see the flexibilty of this (am using the Kifaru cargo panel myself), but for DIY you could just add some lashing points to the outside of your pack without going full MOLLE. Will save a bit of weight as well.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ducky, what set up you using for the days before the course, do you know how many of us are there the same time as us before the course ?

I have a UL tipi/tarp (with stove if I don't go over the weight limit....., yes I am a woos :eek:).
If I recall correctly, Wayland will be around and has got a cabin. Teepee and myself will be camping out. ID is in Norway doing some skiing.

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
Exellent, Ive just got a bivi and tarp, as long as its set up in a bit of shelter, trees etc I should be ok for the few days before, Have you got any maps yet, Ive just started to look for some, do you know what one we need to get us from airport towards course, assuming thats what your planning?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have a UL tipi/tarp (with stove if I don't go over the weight limit....., yes I am a woos :eek:).
If I recall correctly, Wayland will be around and has got a cabin. Teepee and myself will be camping out. ID is in Norway doing some skiing.

Post #420 for my itinerary.

I might be able to share the cabin I think or meet up on some of the other days possibly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE