anyone had repair surgery of the shoulder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
As per above i fell from top of stairs to the bottom(meds for my brain condition affect my blood pressure and balance) ive torn two rotator cuffs i have a bankhart lession and a hills sachs injury,basically knackered my right shoulder due to see surgeon tomorrow,but was wondering if any of you have done any of above injury's had a repair and, what was the recovery time and general out come. Was it successful or not did you regain full use strength etc?
Cheers.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, 2 years ago i had a big op (or lots of little ones at one time) on my right shoulder, repaired 3 ligaments, removed bone spurs and generally cleaned things up, my bicep tendon was really badly damaged and full of scar tissue and the other had big tears and holes in them, it was amazing it worked, well, it sort of stopped working :D

For me it took a year to be abel to use it without pain and although it's really good now it fatigues quickly, I work it out most days and that's been a big help but i've had to be careful to build it up slowly.
Initially there was about 3 months of being really careful and then there were regular reminders that it was tender and needed looking after, I think it was about 3 months before I drove, I could have done it a bit before that but I figured that if anything happened i'd not be able to react well, i'd damage it again or crash or something, not worth it.

But i'm glad i had it done, it's way better than it was.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I haven't but a mate of mine fell through a manhole cover a year ago and smashed his shoulder (and several other bones) to bits. Surgeon said he had only seen worse shoulder injuries on dead motorcyclists. He now has reasonable function, but loss of lifting strength and can't lift his arm above his head. His was probably worse than yours though, so I would hope you should get most if not all of your strength and mobility back. Recovery time at least a year though, with physio.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Before my brain/nerve whammy basically wiping out most of my interest,i was a keen fitness,weight trainer, i am still able to do light weights(always enjoyed weight training) the physio who saw me(before i actually had mri results of damage done) said he was amazed with the extent of damage how strong it still was the external muscles were keeping the internal damage together,although im generally alot weaker and unable to push my self due to brain condition i can still do bicep curls tricep extensions, front and lateral raises, shrugs and upright rows even with the damage(both bone and ligament) id heard the initial recovery was three months, with a further nine months strength build up , my main concern is having lost so many of my interests due to brain nerve illness,im worried wether the op will work or not because although,doing weight training with so much illness and damage sounds mad it actually helps me stay sane, i dont want to lose what little enjoyment i have left, i shall continue to train left(un damaged) side even after surgery.Cheer's for quick replies Tony and Harvestman although none entirely cheer me up,(your mate's fall sound bad Harvestman) to be honest i just heard a crack like a dry branch breaking as i fell,winded myself, saw a quick flash of light as my head hit the stairs and once at the bottom had the most intense pins and needles in my arm and could'nt move it at all.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've not but my best chum has, forty years building Land Rovers caused a lot of wear an tear. He's had one rotator cuff operation and the second is due shortly. He's been off work for around five months and expects at least another six months after the next operation so well over a year for recovery. His consultant has told him and Land Rover that at age sixty one he must not go back on the line.

Andy, things will get better with 'healing time' so don't rush it chap.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Mine(left, I'm left handed) is awful, but I've not seen anyone about it, I'm now self employed(gardener) so can't afford to not drive or be off, I know my work is making it worse, in particular hedgecutting & stump grinding.

Rob

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well you have my commiserations, FWIW.

My other half was hit by a car while out cycling and she didn't get damaged nearly as badly as you seem to have been, but it still took a good year for her to get more or less back in shape.

I'd say you're going to have to be a patient patient, and by the sound of it that's not going to be easy for you, so the sooner you start conditioning youself to the idea the better.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheer's chap's no ged im not really patient, but im getting better as i dont really have much choice.Cant say im relishing more surgery either but apparently im in and out on the same day. Will quiz the surgeon tomorrow.Woof(rob) you have my sympathies, at least im left handed and the damage is my right. Making mine and the kids dinners etc maybe interesting with the use of one arm for 3 months although folk with way worse limb injuries crack on.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
just quick update, saw my surgeon yesterday, the boney injuries bankart lesion and hills sachs injury the piece of bone that broke off has reattached itself,and fused together although at the wrong angle nothing really to be done, the damage to the ball joint part isnt as bad as first thought although both injuries will probably lead to arthritis infact there are some early stage signs.I have a torn bicep long head injury and two rotator cuff tears, i received a injection into the rear of my shoulder yesterday,to try and find out which of these two injuries is causing me the most problems to cut a long story short i will require either surgery for the bicep tear or for the rotator cuff tear (personnely think i need both) i have to write down for the next few weeks were the pain starts first after injection were the stiffness returns first etc etc as this will help the surgeon decide which of the two surgeries are to be performed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Andy,
Not had shoulder probs like you apart from dislocating them both. But had other probs which have yltaken me from a fit hard working outdoor guy to someone that nearly croaked and was laid up for a long time not able to do much of anything.
Doctors and surgeons have been great in putting me back together physicaly but it's important to take care of the mind and brain.
Lucky I had a possative atitude but it took some working to keep it that way, especially as I could no longer work or get out to do the things I loved. Reading the adventures on here helped, as did things like doing puzzles over breakfast to kickstart my brain as I found it atrophying. Could eventually get out for walks building up over time and luckily I had a mate who helped me out by taking me camping though he had to put up my tent and the likes.
Keeping the brain happy helps heal the body. After the pacemaker and new hip the physio's and other medical staff a said that my rapid comeback and willingness to put in the time and pain with the exercises was down to being happy and in a good place mentally. It's easy to get disheartened so find something/things to keep you going, I know it's not always easy, and even easier for someone to say to you but it does make a difference.
Hope it all goes well and that you can get back to doing what you want to do at some level you're happy with.
Keeping fingers crossed,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers fella's, goatboy i try to keep positive everyday since last years brain surgery am the condition that continues im not the same person i was either but theres sod all i can do about it so why worry.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Cheers fella's, goatboy i try to keep positive everyday since last years brain surgery am the condition that continues im not the same person i was either but theres sod all i can do about it so why worry.
Hi Andy,

I am a physio by trade, I'm no shoulder expert and can't give you direct advice Andy. However, you have described some complex shoulder issues here; some people are unlucky enough to have just one of these issues, let alone the entire collection you have mentioned! Its important to understand that 3 months is a very general healing time, it can be a bit shorter or sometimes longer, it actually depends on so many variables. But your surgeon and physio will progress your rehab in line with recognised milestones, which different people will achieve at different times.

Another very important aspect though, as goatboy says and others have alluded to, is the mindset. Having realistic expectations helps you stay positive and focused on a good recovery. Hopefully your surgeon and especially your physiotherapist (of course I could be biased here!) will help guide you in this respect. Most frequently we have to coach, mentor and sometimes cajole people to do their rehab exercises. However, with some we have to 'pull on the reigns', slow down those really motivated patients who want to try and speed up the healing and rehab process by doing too much too soon and actually risk undoing the surgeons work.

The shoulder is a complicated joint and it can take a good while and a lot of work to get the function back, so as long as you're determined, patient and realistic, as well as willing to work with your consultant and physio, you will actually become a MEMBER of the rehab team, actively participating and contributing to your recovery. I know It sounds corny, but its how it works best; the word 'empowering' gets used euphemistically and out of context far too much in my opinion, but in rehab its a fundamental concept. All the very best Andy, take care.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire

Aye, I know that feeling. I had brain surgery, and I don't know if they poked the wrong bit, but I managed to get myself emotional amnesia... not the most pleasant of conditions. Due to some messing about at the hospital, I also lost the use of my legs for a bit... but I remained relatively positive, carried on and got through it.

Probably the worst bit with the initial surgery was the fear, but after it the worst fear was that it could happen all again... and the medical people don't give you much confidence when they keep offering to cut you open at the first sign of every problem.

To answer you question though, had a shoulder injury (not broken) that has plagued me for years... its painful enough when it dislocates, so if the breaking is anything like an ankle break, I can imagine. Shattered my lower leg bones and ankle... best bit... I got 3 days of morphine! :D Worst bit, majority of the year laying on a couch waiting to heal.

Best advice I was given was by my mate Ray... he'd had tumours in his brain for years, had multiple injuries due to collapsing/crashing... he told me to focus on the important things and not let the pain rule life. Enjoy each day. It was helped by the fact that Ray had a question mark shaped scar on the side of his head... giving him the obvious nickname of the Riddler. He got his own back when I was incapacitated by placing a banana in an awkward position on my person. He nearly fell over he laughed so much.

So adding to Ray's advice... the thing that really kept us going was having a laugh every day.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Funny the ones of us who've "looked over the edge" so to speak all have the find something to smile/laugh about everyday outlook on life.
It really is important.
No matter what has happened if I've been consious I've smiled every day for over 25 years.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Yep... glad to be here, no matter what life throws at me and mine :)

I've got my count to 3 NDEs... certainly don't want another... but in the meanwhile I'll be the opinionated choffy-chops and live with it.

If my condition (lovely way of framing it) comes back to bite me, I would hope I remember in that moment sitting in my garden with my kelly kettle boiling and my kids running around like the little nutters they are. I'll be smiling ear to ear.

Meanwhile I've got some leather work to learn lol

Edit: GB, your PMs are full! :)

Last edited:

Brynglas

As per above i fell from top of stairs to the bottom(meds for my brain condition affect my blood pressure and balance) ive torn two rotator cuffs i have a bankhart lession and a hills sachs injury,basically knackered my right shoulder due to see surgeon tomorrow,but was wondering if any of you have done any of above injury's had a repair and, what was the recovery time and general out come. Was it successful or not did you regain full use strength etc?
Cheers.
Ouch! I've had surgery to both of my shoulders following injuries. The first, following a ruptured biceps tendon needed a big repair to my deltoid and biceps and my arm was immobilised for about 12 weeks and another three months or so of rehab. Twenty years later I've never had a problem with it.

More recently, about ten years ago I injured my right shoulder and, like you, suffered a bankhart lesion/ labrum tear of about 3/4 of the labrum. My shoulder was constantly dislocating which was a bloody nuisance as I lived in rural West Wales at the time and relied on coppicing a woodland to fuel my house. Eventually I had surgery to fix the injury. I was in a sling and immobilised for about three weeks and about six or seven weeks of rehab. Touch wood, apart from the matching 'shark bite' scars neither has caused me any further problem. The key for me was to get a good physio post op and be absolutely committed to getting the mobility back. It's frustrating in the early post op days as you're only making tiny movements but it's vital to follow the regime of a good physio to build up the movement and strength slowly. I played rugby after both surgeries and I still lift weights and climb and don't suffer any impedance to movement in either shoulder.

Good luck with the surgery, and with the recovery afterwards!

Brynglas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE