Anyone cut the hood of their sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I've got an old Aztec Swallow 300, which is a bit big and heavy. It's rated, I think, a three season bag, weighs about 1800g and packs when compressed to about 25x22, which actually surprised me - I was not expecting it to pack as (relatively) small as that.

I'm thinking, albeit idly, of combining it with a down bag I've just got, which is good for me down to about 3 deg. It's the Tescos one, and is pretty small and light (about 800g).

To save a bit of weight and bulk, I'm thinking of cutting the hood off and stitching it up just above the shoulder baffle. I'm good enough with a needle and thread to do this.

I'll still have the hood from the down bag to put over my head, should I need it (though I don't really like the feeling of anything over my head when sleeping).

Also wondering, though, if it's a good idea having a thinner down bag inside a thicker synthetic bag, and whether there's be any issues with moisture getting trapped and affecting the down.

Thanks.

Just wondering, really, if anyone else has done anything like this.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
As for the bag in bag idea. You can only really get decent results if the inner bag is sightly smaller else you'll find the loft compressed by outer bag. I had the old buffalo fibre pile bag in bag set-up and the inner was noticeably smaller then outer.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that. Yes, the inner bag is smaller than the outer. There's enough room for it not to get crushed.
I'm undecided about cutting the hood off, as I figure, even if I don;t have it over my head, it can act as a bit of a pillow, rolled up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE