Sticking a lump of wood in the leg ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, that was exciting! I went out for a last cup of chocolate and sit with the cat before setting off for the BushMoot … I stupidly sat down on my 3-legged carving stool … Izzy jumped up beside me … carving stool tipped … I fell … my right leg banged into one of the legs of the carving stool.

Instant excruciating pain! Air blue as I swore … because I knew I’d made a bloody great hole in my leg and I might well not be able to go to the BushMoot … arrrggghhhh !!!

I peeled the leg of my trousers up, hoping against hope for a big bruise. No … not a chance! It looked like a good slab of red beef, oozing juicily. Well that was good, no arteries cut, I wasn’t about to bleed out. Hobbled indoors and up to the bathroom, sloshed half a bottle of TCP into the wound, stung like hell but ***, it was killing germs. Bleeding slowed right down too. Hobbled into bedroom and ferreted in med-drawer for bandages and stuff. Found some gauze and bandage and tubi-thingy, wound up the wound carefully, putting flap of skin back then grabbed the phone and called 999.

The man on the other end was very good except he didn’t seem to grasp (even after 3 tellings) that the lump of wood was not still in my leg.

Hubby arrives home … happily unloads car of shopping despite me screaming “Help!” at the top of my voice! After about 25 yells he calls back for me to die quietly … doh! Sigh! Anyway he did get himself up the stairs to where I was lying on the bed with the injured leg raised. I explained what had happened – he assured me, forcefully, he was NOT panicking (doh!) – and then the ambulance arrived.

My bedroom was now full of three nice-looking men, all being most helpful and kind … nice! They were very good, blood-pressure, diabetes test, oxygen levels, all the right stuff, and Geoff was showing himself to be a wizard. He and they explained that Geoff was very likely able to mend me, here at home so I wouldn’t have to go to hospital, and was certainly going to have a go. He was super professional, looking at the stool that caused the injury, checking it for splinters and dirt, then he set to on the wound. Oh, before that, he supplied me with “laughing gas” and was I glad he did – examining the wound was going to hurt, let alone cleaning it out and stitching me up! He had a look and decided he could do it so began by giving me a local anaesthetic – this hurts! Horribly! The laughing-gas took a lot of the edge off. Me now in a state in which he could work on the wound he got going, cleaning, stitching, dressing … it all took a long time, like a couple of hours, so we were chatting in between my occasional screams *rolls eyes*. He’d had a fascinating life, was a trained nurse and had worked all round the world – Africa, Arab states, Far East. You could tell from his assurance and wonderful manner as well as the way he explained what he was doing how very, very well trained he was. Thank the gods for people like that.

Anyway, it was all over at last, he gave me antibiotics – again after carefully checking what I could take with all the other meds I have – and told me to get the wound looked at in 48 hours. He also made sure I knew things to look for if the wound should be going sour but he was very confident that it would be fine as it was neat, clean and there’d been no tissue loss. He also complimented me for disinfecting it immediately, getting some pressure bandage on and keeping the leg raised.

And he said I could drive tomorrow “wheee!” so I can still go to the BushMoot. Hopefully there’ll be a nice gang of folks to help me unload and set up as although driving is ok I must stay off the leg as much as possible for a bit.

All’s well that ends well *smile* ... and 110/10 to the ambulance service :bigok:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Elen, I'm going down first thing tomorrow and hope to be there by mid morning. I'll look out for you and help you set up. I'm sure we can recruit others too if needed. Let me know what time you plan to arrive.

Take it easy driving...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Glad to hear that your not "some assembly required" and that you'll get to the MOOT. Are you sure it was the cats fault and you're still not tiddly from the Birthday Celebrations? Be careful at the Moot, keep it clean and remember to play on it for help getting to heads of queues, especially for grub. Seriously though glad your fine and that you seem so chuckly about it. That's the proper attitude.

Elen Sentier

Elen, I'm going down first thing tomorrow and hope to be there by mid morning. I'll look out for you and help you set up. I'm sure we can recruit others too if needed. Let me know what time you plan to arrive.

Take it easy driving...

Angel :). I hope to be there circa 2-3 I think, will be driving slowly and carefully! Would you find me a nice quiet, out of the way spot to hang? Where I can run away from noise and nurse my leg :rolleyes:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Sorry to hear about your injury.

But. Isn't our NHS ****ing brilliant?

Three cheers for all the fine people who work for her.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Things people will do to get others to carry their kit. Next time just fake a limp, works for me. ;)
Mend well.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
But. Isn't our NHS ****ing brilliant?

Three cheers for all the fine people who work for her.

Well said. I don't get to hear that often, as my wife spends most of her time at home answering complaints about the NHS - consequently I mostly get to hear about (often unjustified) anti-NHS whining!

I'm glad they sorted you out Elen. Get well soon.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I don't know. I leave you alone for five minutes.... :rolleyes:

I hope you didn't bleed on my wool.

Come on then, where are the pictures? You know the rules. :deal:

And most of all, get well soon. You haven't got a spare Elen, so we need to look after the one we have.

Be well, and take care.

Elen Sentier

I don't know. I leave you alone for five minutes.... :rolleyes:

I hope you didn't bleed on my wool.

Come on then, where are the pictures? You know the rules. :deal:

And most of all, get well soon. You haven't got a spare Elen, so we need to look after the one we have.

Be well, and take care.

HM - In the heat of the moment I forgot to take pix !!! Not allowed to touch under dressing for days now so it'll all be gone by the tine I can. Assure you, the bloody mess was very good.

Dwardo - I know! so OTT of me !!! and I'm real good at limping too :crutch:

Hubby is buying me fish-n-chips as a treat :)
here's for tomorrow :drive:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Don't you know your supposed to use an axe or a knife? That's just a practice wound! :pokenest:

Glad your OK and hope you mend quick. Enjoy the moot as best you can :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Jesus Elen, Seriously glad your doing well.

Sorry I wont be going to the Moot but if one of our illustrious grouping wants to help you out at any time during the Moot I'll be more than willing to donate them large amounts of Alcohol :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE