Winter skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is bushcraft a seasonal activity?

• Total voters

Croc

Jan 9, 2004
Cheshire
I'm the Tropical sort, :lol: work all day in 28 C. heated rooms (full of snakes) and like nothing better to be out in the rainforest or desert.... no noisey kids there! :wink: Don't mind rain, just don't like freezing weather!

I do spend time out in the UK...offroading in my Landrover.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I think that the days of decent winters have long left the UK, we havent had a freezing spell down here in sunny kent let alone any snow.
Why cant we have the winters that we had when I was a kid 3 feet of snow in 48 hours, the main reason that I have a Land Rover is that I live in hope of one day I may wake up and find that we are snowed in, I have had 4wd for the last 12 years and ever since no real snow.
I love camping in the winter, and run the survival skills badge course for our local scouts, and really looked forward to running these through the winter months until some mamby pamby scout leader chucked a spanner in the works saying that it would be to cold for the little darlings, so I went to Field Textiles (the mod wholesaler that some of you refered to in another thread) (cos I have an account with them ) and bought loads of winter kit for the kids and then a differant spanner was thrown.
My view is that if you can live the way that we do in the worst weather that the UK can throw at you then you can do it all year round, but some of the air con, central heating adicts amongst you may disagree.
I spent all day yetserday in the rain cutting and splitting 2 tonnes of fire wood for my home (bloody killed me) but no central heating here, just a love of the simple things in life that so many people miss out on.
Train hard survive easy
:z: :z: :z:

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I love the forest even more when it drops below -25°C, so peaceful and still, eerie even. The trees crack in the cold, it sounds like a rifle report in the still air. At the same time you skin cracks too, which isn't quite nearly as much fun (painful even when you're trying to do something fiddly). Moving through really deep snow can be a pain though. We can dip below -40 here, so it's quite important to get things right when you are out and about. Sweating can be a dangerous enemy when doing anythign physical, I've found it's better to have loose clothing, even untucked shirts which let the cold air circulate to your skin.

It can be so cold and dry here that if you boil a kettle and throw the hot water in the air, it disappears in a cloud of steam. I've got a vid of me doing this, if someone can host it for me?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I don't see it as seasonal. Come the rotten months I find my 'bushcrafty' activities change.
Most of my camping out is done between March and October (with an emphasis on the warmer months) because it means I don't have to worry about keeping warm and can just enjoy the mood. That said, I have spent the night out during winter and it looks like we're planning a winter camp for late Nov/early Dec later this year (and I did give a bit of a moan).
No, not seasonal, but some seasons get more activity than others.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
There is a greater sense of achievement that comes with 'surviving' tough cold and wet conditions. It is important to have somewhere warm and dry to sit though, as long as I have the right clothing and kit I'm up for anything really! I do go out in all weathers all through the year and am looking forward to experiencing serious cold when we go to Canada. Brrrrrr :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I get hay fever and I find mozzies irritating.

I love winter camping.
fireside.gif

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I get hay fever and I find mozzies irritating.

I love winter camping.
fireside.gif

Could not agree more. No hayfever and no mozzies.....

Just planning out a new winter shelter at my local hide away so i can spend more time practicing skills and have a warm place to hide away when those early nights come back. Cant wait to be honest lol.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I go out in all weather - it's just something you adjust for.

Although, I prefer that it not be rainy/muddy and no high winds, I still go. And I actually prefer WINTER camping - often with 2 to 3 feet of snow and -20 (F). That cold weather really clears the bozos/yahoos out of the woods!

Often on a -20(F) night in January/February with a full moon, I will grab my wool blanket and hike down into the pasture to just set on the one hill to watch the "natural" world go by below along the creek. It's comforting to watch the deer play along the creek, hear the coyotes howling two ridges over, and see the "steam" rising from the sections of open water in the creek. The air gets that "crisp" feel to it. Sometimes I'll light a small fire, usually not. Sometimes I'll stay and watch for an hour or so, sometimes I just curl up in my blanket and sleep there overnight on top of the snow - especially if it isn't windy.

But you really need to plan well for winter outings, and condition yourself for it.

Rain/mud/sleet are more something to ... endure ... than enjoy too much. But I still do enjoy them. That feeling of "accomplishment" stuff. And if you have friends with you to also experience it, then you have that "shared trevail" feelings.

Yeah, "bad" weather sure clears out the bozos and pikers.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I get out when ever I can, as i dont have much choice given my work time table, so I can't afford to be too picky... any way its a set of skills that one should be able to use and be comfortable using "regardless of the season, weather or terrain"... (I think I spent too long in the Army with this last part... :rolleyes: )

Cheers...

Karl

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I am lucky in many respects because I work in the countryside/bushcraft field and so like it or not, I`m out in all weathers/seasons.

Fortunately winter is my favourite time of the year ad so I enjoy it hugely. From a selfish point of view, there are also less people out in the forests that time of year which adds to the quiet.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi All,

I try to get out avery chance I get. In practice this means whenever my better halve will let me. The weather is only a factor in what I do when get out there. For instance in the wet, firelighting is a challenge I like to try..... etc.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
For me winter is the very best time to be out. The vibrance of summer can be distracting in my opinion. When the leaves have falen and the ground has frozen, lakes get low lying fog covering them its just magical. For me it seems much simpler in the winter months, fewer noises, fewer people. Lets also not forget that a small fire produces the best thing this time of year.......a hot cuppa !!!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Winter gear is more expensive. you also need more skill. I lack both so its summer for me until Im richer and smarter. Or just smarter. I can rob a bank with smarts....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE