Winter skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is bushcraft a seasonal activity?

• Total voters

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
How many of us are seasonal bushcrafters? Do we see bushcraft as a fair weather activity or do we like the adversity of the winter months to hone skills and get a good perspective of the wilderness in all conditions?

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Dry cold is my absolute favourite for walking... Tracking's easier for me after its been wet... Haven't quite perfected my debris shelter so as to get a solid night's sleep (sans sleeping bag) when it's cold, but am working on it

but making a fire when everything's sodden is so satisfying, even if my feather sticks never look as good as in the books...
Justin

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i think we`re lucky to have the seasons we do over here (uk) and its good to get out in foul weather, personaly my thoughts have always been if you know at some point you`re going to be warm and dry then theres no worries and it gets your head going,once spent 2 weeks on dartmoor and it hacked it down non stop but at the end it was good to know that you could cut it and your kit was still working and you still had warm dry clothes to get into at night,still a shock getting into cold wet clothes in the morning though or whenever you were going wandering,plus i dont know about the other people here but foul weather seems to recharge me,thats the most i`ve ever written here :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I like the autumn and winter seasons just for the fact that its quieter..... You may wander into the odd farmer or forestry worker but thats about it. During the summer, its another story.... kids lighting fires up the mountain... burning out cars... the farmers close their land off.... middle aged business men jumping in rivers tied to a rope under the pretence of team building.... even at night you get cubs and scouts being led around blindfolded on some sort of exercise.... the mountains are packed with people that time of year...

Just my observations...

Ed

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
i don't mind the cold or wet solong as iam or can get dry and warm. defrosting frozen wetsuits with a kettle is my idea of fun? A fire goes along way towards happy camping, shame all campsites don't have a fire pit per pitch as they do in the US/Canada.
What gets me down at this time of year is the darkness. It means i can do very little after work.
With all the autumn leaves that have just landed, I fancied a debris shelter this weekend, but trying to make one in the dark?
I think I'll try and blag my friends hammock and see how iget on with that ?
I'm glad we have seasons though, it would be nice if they are a bit more pronounced, less grey! I want snow and frost. Still roll on spring.
Rich

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
what ed and gary said, better to have "crap" weather than hoardes of squaling brats, and people out with dogs they can't control.

cheers, and.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm with you guys !

Justin - spot on - love those crystal cold clear days when the mud is frozen, blue skies and the grass goes crisp and blue green with the frost.

Mountain bike is no fun without the mud and rain

Wading across Kinder Scout : 10 foot visibility in low cloud, soaked from head to foot.

Scawfell : goretex doesn't work when your jacket has an ice skin all over it !

Skye : ten pairs of socks hung steaming around the fire.

Even the lousy days make great memories.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i agree with all of the peaple that like it in all weather i work outside
in it anyway so it make's no odds to me just love to be outside

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The temps were dipping below zero degrees F when I snagged this splake! When you play in the UP of Michigan in the winter, ya better love the cold, eh?

tak_1.jpg

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Definatley year round, I was out this week practising friction fire lighting in the rain, only way to learn is to be able to perform a skill under any conditions.
Neil1

funny enough Tony, this poll seems to strengthen what I am experiencing. I teach many, many more customers, and there are more enquiries about courses during the winter then summer! In fact. This winter is nearly completely full untill the spring... :-D Maybe they should hold the Wilderness Gathering in january too!! Hahaha :twisted:

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I totally agree with all the above but another reason to love the cold and wet for me is that it tests all that gear accumulated to combat the cold and wet. Hopefully passing the test and keeping you warm(ish) and dry(ish)!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE