Why do you do it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
I've been quizing over why people enjoy bushcraft, personally I like to feel connected to mother nature, as well as it taking me away from some of the less salubrius aspects of modern life, where I can just relax without a care in the world except where I'm going to build my debris shelter, or looking for those two trees the right distance apart for my tarp... I will be the first to admit I'm carrying more weight than I should, but I have nightmares of turning into a Rab C or Onslow type, staring at the idiot box.

How many of us are inspired by Bear Ghrylls, Dave & Cody et al, and want to travel across vast trackts of land with nothing more than an old waterbottle and a primitive made bow and arrow?

Or are we inspired by Ray mears and David attenbourogh and want to slowly make our way through the woods and see the fantastic display Nature treats us to when we are quiet?

Or are there those of us that have watched the likes of Threads, Dawn of the dead and mad max a few too many times and want to be prepoared for the aftermath of the global oil wars?

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I do it because it's the total antithesis to my day job, which is extremely fast paced and high on stress (something I enjoy, when it goes right)

I have always lived psudo-rurally and I like the outdoors. Specifically the problem solving involved. Nature has given you a puzzle, it's finding the key to the lock that interests me the most.

No-one in the public eye inspired me to have a go, and on the morning of a zombie apocalypse I'll be holed up in the nearest B&Q in the chainsaw department.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
See, you were inspired by someone in the publick eye, Bruce Cambell. "Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!" or "Thisis my Boom Stick!", depending on which film you prefer.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I didn't know that what I did was called bushcraft :eek:
The first Scottish meet up Sandbender hooked up his laptop and explained who and what Ray Mears was, to me.

It's the connection with the seasonality of real life. It's the quiet confident pleasure in being capable, in knowing I can do........., in knowing that I do *know*, what I can use, where and when.
It's the delight the natural world gives all my senses :) it's the calm of breathing real air, eating real food, eyes wide open and my body and mind and spirit's reaction to it all.

It's never static, never ending, always fresh, something new, something to learn, something to ask/ show/ tell/ make.

I like people and this forum and the people I've met through it, greatly enrich my life :cool:
(filled the shed with kit too though :rolleyes: :D )

cheers,
Toddy

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
we evolved with bushcraft, our anatomy is wired up to be a hunter gatherer, covering long distances to find food and aposable thumbs to use tools, brains that can master puzzles such as fire and crafts, not play xbox and order KFC.

a badger is designed to dig, somtimes it will dig just for the hell of it, because it enjoys it. put your avarage human in the woods with a tent, a fire and a knife and he or she will
most likley enjoy it too. its primal basicly, like tripping on fire, theres just somthing about it, and allows you to feel at home anywhere.

basicly, its returning humans to their natural habitat.

Last edited:

Ironside

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2008
New Deer, Aberdeenshire
I always just enjoyed being outdoors when I was a kid and my parents always encouraged us to play outside. I lived in the country when I was younger and Bennachie was the view from my bedroom window. I don't know if anyone inspired me but people like Attenbourogh & Bellamy made it seem absolutely magical. Being in the scouts was a great way to get out and about and learn more and be more self reliant.
I just enjoy being in the countryside no matter what I am doing!

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
i bet when most of us think back to childhood we shot air rifles are fathers had shot guns ,we had catapults made bows and loved nature liked knifes loved choping and carving wood loved fire and didnt mind geting dirty, this stuff never leaves your soul its natural is it bushcraft i aint got a clue. sloe gin is something i never made but is on the list ,random, lol.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Its better than the endless repeats on sky! On a serious note i dont really know why i enjoy it,but ive been going out ''camping'' from childhood so i guess its inbuilt behaviour,its also a great stress release from the bills etc.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Why do I do it?

Well I don't do it often enough but when I do catch glimpses of Bushcrafty activity I like it because it is almost the total opposite of what modern living is turning into and being forced upon us. Doing things the way of our ancestors did and deriving enjoyment from it is a pleasure for me but sadly I am in the absolute minority amongst my friends and family who comment 'what is the point'.

Now I appreciate modern technology and the progress been made in living standards but sometimes I feel having the latest must have 'I' device or whatever, or living life through Myface or Tweeter just becomes a priority over actually experiencing things for oneself. All this stuff to me is great in moderation but I am completely able to switch all technology off and not miss it and wander into the wilds of deepest Rickmansworth and have a brew or heat a tin of beans on my stove beside the M25 and be happy as Larry!
Now in reverse, doing Bushy stuff is great but it is nice to be able to go to a modern home and have a hot wash and watch a bit of good TV or surf the net. I guess moderation is key in all things?

I think Ray Mears has inspired me the most and as for surviving Zombie Apocalypse scenarios I have never day dreamed about that ever...really...honest!!

Steve.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
No-one of recent times inspired me.

I can remember watching old films like westerns, Tarzan, the ones about Davy Crockett and Rogers Rangers.
I would go out to the fields and woods and with my pals and our knives we'd gradually get better at making dens etc.

I have known of Ray Mears a long time ago though.

I don't think I've grown up yet mind.

I've grown up in the country and always been interested in the outdoors. I've walked, run and climbed for years and gradually drifted into this activity known as 'bushcraft'. I think because it combines knowledge with the physical pursuit of being outdoors. It exercises your mind as well as your muscles.

It's also pleasing to feel somewhat self-reliant in the 'wilderness' such as it exists in this country and it helps me feel more secure when I'm off doing more adventurous things like trekking through big mountains.

I'm definitely a Ray Mears man, not Bear Grylls, although I don't revile the latter like some people do.

Like someone else mentioned, it's also the antithesis of my day job, which sees me sat in front of a computer for 8 hours of the day, designing pictures and writing programming code.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Why do we do it, for days like these walking in a woodland with all its colours. Sitting down and tuning into the sounds of the wood and spotting the buzzard watching me. Finding the mushrooms everyone else have not seen and leaving Monday to Friday a million miles away.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I used to go and block loggers from felling trees by lying in front of machinery or standing between them and the trees, got arrested 11 times, it evolved from there.

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
I didn't know that what I did was called bushcraft :eek:
The first Scottish meet up Sandbender hooked up his laptop and explained who and what Ray Mears was, to me.

It's the connection with the seasonality of real life. It's the quiet confident pleasure in being capable, in knowing I can do........., in knowing that I do *know*, what I can use, where and when.
It's the delight the natural world gives all my senses :) it's the calm of breathing real air, eating real food, eyes wide open and my body and mind and spirit's reaction to it all.

It's never static, never ending, always fresh, something new, something to learn, something to ask/ show/ tell/ make.

I like people and this forum and the people I've met through it, greatly enrich my life :cool:
(filled the shed with kit too though :rolleyes: :D )

cheers,
Toddy

That sums it up for me as well

bill

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
For me, the more technology invades my life, the more petty rules and regulations govern my actions - the more I just want to go and live in the woods with my dog.
I'm very new to the actual process of bushcraft though, I've still got loads to learn. And I'm looking forward to learning it.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've always been a bit of a loner, and have just felt more comfortable outside on my own, away from people. I've seen some incredible wildlife sights, eaten some amazing meals made of entirely foraged food, been in some incredible weather, and had some of the best night's sleep of my life.

As someone above said, it is like returning me to my natural habitat.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
For me, the more technology invades my life, the more petty rules and regulations govern my actions - the more I just want to go and live in the woods with my dog.
I'm very new to the actual process of bushcraft though, I've still got loads to learn. And I'm looking forward to learning it.

I so agree with that.
Stick with it mate.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I grew up on a farm. Wandered the woods and meadows, hunted, fished, and camped for as long as I can remember (well over 50 years). Out of that background I developed an interest in all things outdoors, from biology to bushcraft.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I grew up on a farm. Wandered the woods and meadows, hunted, fished, and camped for as long as I can remember (well over 50 years). Out of that background I developed an interest in all things outdoors, from biology to bushcraft.

I hanker back to the days when I spent time at my old uncles farm when a boy.

There was breakfast, a tea, a big dinner, afternoon tea, another meal then supper later.
Only fat person about was my old auntie..:lmao:

In fact she wasn't that bad, oh and the milk was straight out of the cow...;)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I didn't know that what I did was called bushcraft :eek:
The first Scottish meet up Sandbender hooked up his laptop and explained who and what Ray Mears was, to me..."

That summers day seems like such a long time ago. :)

"...I've been quizing over why people enjoy bushcraft..."

When I was very young my sister gave me a copy of the Hobbit, which led to the Lord of the Rings, which convinced a young me that I wanted to be 'A Ranger of the North'.

Add to that my fathers tales of cycle trips across a barely motorized Britain in the nineteen thirties and my my brothers adventures trekking in the Pyrenees and elsewhere in the seventies and it seemed only logical that I should wander off into the wilder parts of world.

I first met Ray on an expedition in Africa, I really didn't know that there were schools for learning this kind of thing, to me he was always the jolly chap from countryfile who taught folks how to build leaf shelters and make bannocks. None of the other TV or youtube personalities have held my interest for any length of time, other than Mors of course.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE