Are you a GEARDO?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I heard the term GEARDO recently and it tickled me. It went on to say that the term is applied to those strange people who have huge amounts of gear and continue to accumulate even more. So there's the question; Are you? or are you not a geardo?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmundo

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Guilty. Better than I was but have frequent relapses. It’s torches with me, and knives. It was all sorts, I was on EDC Forums and Multitool.org, buying glow stuff, widgy bars, CountyComm stuff, Maratac stuff, tents, rucksacks, assorted bags, sleeping bags, paracord, keyring carry, pens, good paper pads. I’ve managed to sell a lot of it, I don’t get out in the tent much since we got the van. But the flipping torches, I just can’t help myself.:D

Reactions: Wildgoose and Robbi

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Guilty. Better than I was but have frequent relapses. It’s torches with me, and knives. It was all sorts, I was on EDC Forums and Multitool.org, buying glow stuff, widgy bars, CountyComm stuff, Maratac stuff, tents, rucksacks, assorted bags, sleeping bags, paracord, keyring carry, pens, good paper pads. I’ve managed to sell a lot of it, I don’t get out in the tent much since we got the van. But the flipping torches, I just can’t help myself.:D
You are me... I am you

Reactions: Nice65

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Think EDCForums is dead. Domain name no longer resolves, which sounds pretty deliberate and terminal.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Think EDCForums is dead. Domain name no longer resolves, which sounds pretty deliberate and terminal.
Yeah, I stayed in touch with Jon Sydney Burley for a while as the troubled times came. He set off walking across America to go and get his dogs back, sleeping in fields, real Mark Twain traveller. Girl called Karen with a long username took over and the remainder of the team tried to help the guy out. That’s the last I heard of it, Jon became really ill, I’m not even sure if he’s alive. Shame, he was a good guy. I still have an ESSE3 that he sent me, brand new from the forum shop, for $40.

Reactions: Jared

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I think we can all relate to this: :cool:

He’s got the BcUK ‘knife to other kit’ ratio right for sure.

This is the BC equivalent of my wife who’s a crafting SABLE - Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectation.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I am the same....*sob* but my multi tools console me

@Nice65 the torches are your doing....I am weak..

In the words of the eternal Jane Austin...badly done (insert name), badly done.... :)

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
i am not a geardo i don't think but i could easily become one if i didn't discipline myself . When considering a purchase I have to ask myself if I really need it or whether I just want it. As a result I use pretty much everything ive got and everyday. I am the last owner of anything, it gets used till it cant get used anymore and I rarely have anything to sell or swap, I do love shiney things but that one question has saved me an absolute fortune. The other thing is that i love making things and seeing what I can acquire for nothing and even better if I can get it from nature. I strive to be a minimalist, I live very simply and too many possessions clutter my van, tent and spirit. As for geardos, there but for the grace of God go I:)

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Re. knives, I'm guilty of owning loads but I don't understand people who build an EDC kit or bugout bag that contains loads of knives. Just in case the other 11 fail I guess.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I was going to answer with , I used to be, I got rid of loads of kit as I wasn't getting out enough, I had a garage workshop tidy and found a load of kit I either forgot about or ended up buying.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Worth mentioning that there are plenty of vices worse than being a kit junkie.

Pick your pain carefully.

Reactions: Tony

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE