Cocktails... whats all the fuss about?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Anyone here like their cocktails?
Am I alone in wondering what all the fuss is about? I personally can't really stand them.... I've had a few that I've enjoyed, but realistically they were very fruity, or very coke-y I.e. sugar sugar sugar...

Someone was telling me about whisky sours the other day, so I decided to look up a recipe and make one... lemon, butters, sugar, egg white, bourbon... what an awful drink... I couldn't bring myself to use anything other than a cheap bourbon, but it just tasted miserable.. like someone had ruined a horrid cheap bourbon with a bunch of ingredients... "ahh, that's where you went wrong, use a more expensive bourbon/whisky"... why???!!! I like my more expensive whiskies neat, I don't want to mix them up with a bunch of sugar and lemon juice?!?!

....moan, groan, gripe, whinge...
I had a friend & manageress who worked at a cocktail bar..Every now & than they needed a Guinea pig to try out their concoctions free of charge(in steps me who would book the Friday off, because I knew it’d get messy).
To be honest, I wouldn’t pay for one because he showed me how cheap & sugary they are..plus the tricks he did to make it seem like you’d be getting a lot for your money.
The only one I did like was a Pisco Sour(Peruvian brandy, egg white & lime, to which I showed him how to make one( if it’s classed as a cocktail) Took me back to when I traveled/ hiked Peru with Cuy al palo( guinea pig) for evening meal.. yes it tastes vile.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I had a friend & manageress who worked at a cocktail bar..Every now & than they needed a Guinea pig to try out their concoctions free of charge(in steps me who would book the Friday off, because I knew it’d get messy).
To be honest, I wouldn’t pay for one because he showed me how cheap & sugary they are..plus the tricks he did to make it seem like you’d be getting a lot for your money.
The only one I did like was a Pisco Sour(Peruvian brandy, egg white & lime, to which I showed him how to make one( if it’s classed as a cocktail) Took me back to when I traveled/ hiked Peru with Cuy al palo( guinea pig) for evening meal.. yes it tastes vile.
Obviously worked in a run of mill bar that served pitcher type "cocktails" or somewhere trying not to be.

Proper cocktails use quality ingredients and aren't sugary. Many are dry and /or bitter. Even the sweeter once are tempered with citrus sharpness.

Anyone that serves a sugary, syrupy mixture and calls it a cocktail doesn't know what they are doing

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
@plastic-ninja Brilliant!!!
I must admit, the best cocktail I ever had was at a speakeasy style place which was designed as a place for an "adult drink" rather than a boozer for people to get tanked...
I can't remember what it was but it was hickory smoked!

Are we allowed to ask where your place is?
I’m in Kendal on the edge of the Lake District. The bar is called The Blind Bus Driver. Bookings only through Facebook or Instagram.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Pisco Sour should have some sugar syrup as well, to balance the sourness of the lime.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To me most cocktails taste like the old Alcopops did ... very much a way to get non drinkers smashed!
I like most of my spirits neat so that I can taste the distillers/blenders skill - though neat gin is disgusting!

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
OK...I made an espresso martini last night..fudged it a little as I didn't fancy the potential of being tormented by caffeine so I used a little more decaf coffee and a bit of spiced rum as opposed to less coffee and kahlua (or alternative). Not too shabby...

Still think I'd rather have a neat whisky.. but I didn't mind the espresso martini...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well , this thread got me thinking in a kind of semi serious way.

I like learning cooking processes and methods so why can't I apply that to liquids and alcohol?

So , One decent Cocktails set maker is now winging its way to me and its going to be a process of learning how to make one Cocktail a month whilst perfecting the method.

At pole position No.1 is Whisky/Rum Sours which I can neck at alarming rate - looking to recoup all those fancy-dancy £10 drinks from over the years!!

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Think some of the issue is the types of spirits...
I know I could get all the basic spirits that'd cover most bases from lidl for £20 total, but they'd probably taste horrific... but equally, I don't want to pay a lot for spirits that I enjoy less because I've mixed them all up. Haha

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Think some of the issue is the types of spirits...
I know I could get all the basic spirits that'd cover most bases from lidl for £20 total, but they'd probably taste horrific... but equally, I don't want to pay a lot for spirits that I enjoy less because I've mixed them all up. Haha

Exactly - which is why I'm timeframing it on one new one a month so I can buy some quality without skimping or feeling the pinch.

Like most things the pleasure is in the journey and remembering to enjoy grind rather than the end event.

I'd rather build up a quality drinks cabinet over time and nail the process if ten or so common Cocktails.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
To me most cocktails taste like the old Alcopops did ... very much a way to get non drinkers smashed!
I like most of my spirits neat so that I can taste the distillers/blenders skill - though neat gin is disgusting!
Last year I got us two advent calendars, one with whisk(e)y and one with gin, and surprisingly some of the gins were definitely best when drunk neat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE