Cocktails... whats all the fuss about?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Well , this thread got me thinking in a kind of semi serious way.

I like learning cooking processes and methods so why can't I apply that to liquids and alcohol?

So , One decent Cocktails set maker is now winging its way to me and its going to be a process of learning how to make one Cocktail a month whilst perfecting the method.

At pole position No.1 is Whisky/Rum Sours which I can neck at alarming rate - looking to recoup all those fancy-dancy £10 drinks from over the years!!

Good idea.
For sours, the sticking point for me is the egg whites. Unless they are really fresh they smell quite strong & can spoil the drink. Also leaves you with lots of yolks & no whites. ( ok if you make lots of chocolate mousse or brownies ) There’s a very good egg white replacer made by Ms. Betters Bitters called “miraculous foamer” which I suspect is methyl cellulose & xanthan gum but works very well in drinks. The foam is untainted & lasts for ages. Much more effective than real egg.
Go Shake!

Reactions: TeeDee

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Exactly - which is why I'm timeframing it on one new one a month so I can buy some quality without skimping or feeling the pinch.

Like most things the pleasure is in the journey and remembering to enjoy grind rather than the end event.

I'd rather build up a quality drinks cabinet over time and nail the process if ten or so common Cocktails.
That’s a great approach. Will save you a fortune & avoid random liqueurs at the back of the cupboard!
Never skimp on Vermouth is best advice I ever had. Martini as absolute lowest acceptable quality.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That’s a great approach. Will save you a fortune & avoid random liqueurs at the back of the cupboard!
Never skimp on Vermouth is best advice I ever had. Martini as absolute lowest acceptable quality.

Do you have a suggested list of entry level ( yet quality ) basic 'staples' for a cocktail journey?

As an example there are a lot of Whisky's and a lot or Whiskies - I'm sure some do a better more specific job than others but is there a suitable - goto Brand that does a good intermediary step of filling multiple recipes?

Same question ref Absinthe

etc etc

Cheers! ( Ironically Pun intended. )

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@
Do you have a suggested list of entry level ( yet quality ) basic 'staples' for a cocktail journey?

As an example there are a lot of Whisky's and a lot or Whiskies - I'm sure some do a better more specific job than others but is there a suitable - goto Brand that does a good intermediary step of filling multiple recipes?

etc etc

@TeeDee
There is a distillery in Penzance which we get some stuff off called "pocketful of stones", they do an absinthe...yet to try it though

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I always have a couple of field bottles at my belt where I put in the ingredients for different cocktails in the morning.

While I am hiking they get mixed very well and I drink one after the other during the day.

Especially after a hot summer day that was spend like this I fall asleep very well, even without any camping equipment and on every kind of ground. Even a Thunderstorm with heavy rain doesn't wake me up.

That really can be highly recommended and is far better than the average bottle of Vodka or Whisky during the day.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I always have a couple of field bottles at my belt where I put in the ingredients for different cocktails in the morning.

While I am hiking they get mixed very well and I drink one after the other during the day.

Especially after a hot summer day that was spend like this I fall asleep very well, even without any camping equipment and on every kind of ground. Even a Thunderstorm with heavy rain doesn't wake me up.

That really can be highly recommended and is far better than the average bottle of Vodka or Whisky during the day.

We have a few folk round my city which tend to use alcohol to the same effect...its normally a 2litre bottle of hideous cider or lager, but either way, it aids their ability to fall asleep on any kind of ground...

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
What have people used for emulsifier, I am not very fond of polypropylen glycol that is used commercially in many drinks (<3%).

Also has anyone found a way to break alcohol blobs in clear spirits. (There is a theory that the sharp taste in many strong spirits depends on ethanol not being totally blended but there are very high % blobs in the drink that causes the sharpnes.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
What have people used for emulsifier, I am not very fond of polypropylen glycol that is used commercially in many drinks (<3%).

Also has anyone found a way to break alcohol blobs in clear spirits. (There is a theory that the sharp taste in many strong spirits depends on ethanol not being totally blended but there are very high % blobs in the drink that causes the sharpnes.
Shake the bottle? *shrugging*

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria

etc etc

Good basics. You’ll need
Vodka. Absolut or Stoli.
Gin. Gordon’s or Tanqueray.
Rum. Dark. OVD or Woods.
Rum. White. Bacardi or Brugal.
Rum. Golden. Mount Gay.
Scotch blended. J.Walker Red or Monkey Shoulder.
Scotch S.Malt. Glenlivet/Laphroaig.
American Bourbon. Makers Mark/Bulleit/JD
Rye Whiskey. Bulleitt
Triple Sec. Bols
Maraschino. Luxardo
Chocolate. Mozart.
Coffee. Kahlua or Tia Maria
Vermouth. Martini red & extra dry or Lustau red/white or Belsazar red/white.
Bitters go to Bob’s Bitters online & get whatever you fancy. They are all tip top.
That should get you started. Buy good mixers like fevertree or franklins. Real Coca Cola not the unleaded. Old Jamaica ginger beer. Buy old wine glasses from charity shops instead of posh cocktail glasses. Nearly all the old school ones were originally made in wine glasses.
Cheers.

• Love

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I’ve seen their squid gin around and about even up here in the Lakes. Nice packaging.

The cans are beautiful! Interestingly we've seen the original prototype and it was the same sized can but just an old/faded red paint look to it, fantastic oil can concept!
They thought about a few other finishes but then went with the copper in the end, it's amazing.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Had a Tom Collins earlier this summer when it was hot outside. Boy was it refreshing with that tangy lemon/gin taste and glass full of ice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE