Whiskey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

legin

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
Spalding
I have tried whiskey before but always find it abit strong :yuck: just wondering if someone could suggest a brand that isn't to strong for a starting point?
If you have a Lidl near you, they have "Ben Bracken" at just under 16 squids. It is in fact the last throes of a distillery by the name of Tamnavulin that shut in 1996. Excellent single malt. However, if you want really smooth, I would go for Highland Park even though it will be more expensive. Obviously these are whisky and not whiskey.

Nigel.

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Whiskey wise I've found 'Heaven Hill' to be very nice... Good price too.
Whisky wise I like 'Talisker' but it's not everyones taste..

Yeah whiskey and whisky are completely different

Simon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
In your price range I am going to suggest based upon your preferences od something smooth and not to full on.

For Whiskey (Irish) try
Tyrconnell
. Very smooth and pale, not much burn. Subtle and warming

For Whisky (Scotch) I believe you will find a Speyside or more refined Highland most palatable. A favourite amongst those "in the know" is
A gentle speyside with a nice almost floral taste and not puch peat.

Try either with a splash of (still) mineral water at room temperature. Sip and move around your mouth before swallowing to develop the flavours properly

Both of these are unusual, not too powerful whiskies available online in your price range.

If it must be a supermarket whiskey then Bushmills is your best bet, but there are better drinks around for your money!

Red

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aye. Which is why i got the jameson's out and not the grant's or J&B.

A bit depleted at the moment no Islay single malts etc. :eek:

Got a 30yo, single cask, cask strength, non chill filtered Caol Ila on the go Bod - nip round for a dram if you are passing :lmao:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
anybody tried the penderyn single malts? i used to live pretty close to where they're made its the only welsh distillery i think and they're properly nice

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
i think i might get flamed here but what the hell now then when it comes to whiskey as in american there are two that i class as brilliant drinks and that is wild turkey and the king off them all imho
JACK DANIELS
hopes this helps
drew

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
I would suggest Dalwhinnie - it's one i always give to people who "don't like whisky" and it's never failed to turn them round yet.
Def an idea to add some water to your whisky to open the flavours out and cut down on the immediate strength.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Balvenie is quite mild but very nice. Still prefer my Ardbeg right enough. ;) Never tried Caol Ila, sounds like it'll be my next one to try.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
If you're only going to be buying a smaller bottle, then it's got to be glenmorangie for sweet and smooth. It's a gem!

I don't advise you go and drop £30 on a 70cl or litre bottle of a drink you have never really liked.

Alternatively, I think the Lidl offering 'Hunter's Glen' is worth a go, it's only about a tenner and it's not bad. Quite sweet. If you add a drop of water it takes a lot of the bite out of it as well.

You're going to get a different suggestion from every one, it's the nature of the beast.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I would suggest Dalwhinnie

yesssssss i was starting to despair that no one had said Dalwhinnie
good man
i would also suggest Balvenie Double Wood I had it described to me as liquid Christmas cake and they where right very rounded and extremely palatable.

on the other hand how about a cognac I know I'm suggesting Brandy but a good one is worth having tesco do an own brand XO thats about £22 a bottle and is very good ( if it says VS or VSOP don't go any where near) XO is what you want.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
It doesn't say 'whiskey', it says 'whisky' -- subtle but crucial difference! :p

Every day is a school day........

At one time, all whisky was spelled without the "e", as "whisky". In around 1870, the reputation of Scottish whisky was very poor as Scottish distilleries flooded the market with cheaper spirits produced using the Coffey still. The Irish and American distilleries adopted the spelling "whiskey", with the extra "e", to distinguish their higher quality product. Today, the spelling whisky (plural whiskies) is generally used for whiskies distilled in Scotland, Wales, Canada, and Japan, while whiskey is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and America. Even though a 1968 directive of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms specifies "whisky" as the official US spelling, it allows labeling as "whiskey" in deference to tradition and most U.S. producers still use the historical spelling.

However you spell it.....I'm a big fan of Jura. Makes me fall out of hammocks though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE