Whiskey?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
Hi there guy's

Im off out this weekend for a few days outdoor training for a course. camping involved. I have tried whiskey before but always find it abit strong :yuck: just wondering if someone could suggest a brand that isn't to strong for a starting point?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
On the other hand... if you're like me then highland malts make my stomach turn, but I love Islay malts. Lagavulin is the king of them all, Ardbeg is a little lighter, Jura is very affordable and very good indeed.

That said, I don't drink the stuff neat, I add about 40% room temperature water to bring the flavours out. That might be your problem.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What's your budget? no point us recommending nice malts if what your after is a £10 blend. For those that missed the subtleties of the little exchange above whiskey=Irish/American whisky=Scotch.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
A more serious response, but still sticking with the Whiskey idea rather than Whisky, Bushmills is generally a bit smoother and milder than the average Scottish Whisky.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
My budget is anything up to about £25 - £30

I would still stick with my Bushmills suggestion and this would get you a 10 year old.

I probably should say that I tend to drink Scottish Whisky, but on the occasions I have had Bushmills I have always been impressed by its smoothnes/softness.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Is bushmills vailable in most supermarkets? and do you drink it neat or add water?

Mmmm, I've never bought it myself, but I've certainly seen it around.

As to the water thing, I have always been led to believe that all whisky/whiskey should be drunk with equal parts water. The proviso being that water comes from the same source of water used to make the whisky !!!

My Dad always drank it like this (tap water) and it definitely softens it, I drink it neat.

One of the problems is that Whisky varies tremendously. I'm on my last Glen Morangie "Millenium" malt, and its one of the smoothest I have ever drunk, even my better half who doesn't like whisky was impressed, but then it comes back at you with a tremendous heat that makes your eyes water.

Graham

Last edited:

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
Mmmm, I've never bought it myself, but I've certainly seen it around.

As to the water thing, I have always been led to believe that all whisky/whiskey should be drunk with equal parts water. The proviso being that water comes from the same source of water used to make the whisky !!!

My Dad always drank it like this (tap water) and it definitely softens it, I drink it neat.

Graham

Cheers Graham. and thanks to everyone else's advice. might pop out later and get some since i need to get some supplies for the weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE