Where have all the men gone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
where have all the men gone?
in a society that has spent a good deal of its time undermining masculinism and reinforcing the fact that men are all sexually and morally untrustworthy, maybe men just don’t feel safe enough to help children. but then seeing as "women" have so ably proven that they are equal to us in all ways and better than us in others, then its only fair they clean up the mess, right?

look me up if we ever achieve sexual equality.

Amen brother

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do like Benjamin Franklin quotes. Amongst my favourites are:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

and

"Even peace may be purchased at too high a price."

Red

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I have read this thread with a great amount of interest and respect everyone`s opinion. My own experience tells me that a lot of the young men and women today that are seen as challenging are pretty innocent and I mean this in two ways.

Firstly, a lot of them are not actually doing anything wrong, however they subscribe to a culture which to a great many of us seems threatening as they do not follow a lot of the normal social codes we all do.

Secondly, a lot of them do not know any differently and in that sense, they are doing the best that they can with the resources they have. My role, as a potential role model, friend and as someone who is firm but fair and who has been where they have been, is to in the long term give them some of those resources so that they can begin to question and make new decisions with ideas and information they did not have before.

A troubled start in life is no excuse, however it can be the cause, so I feel it is prudent to limit the cause to reduce the effect. To increase a young person`s options, for example through Forest Schools which potentially can support their personal, social and emotional development, develop employability skills and ultimatly influence social mobility, decreases the likleyhood of following self destructive patterns which are also detremental to society.

I firmly belive that unless we give people a chance, a hundred years from now we will still be complaining about a problem only a few are trying to solve.

I wholeheartidly agree with the sentiments in relation to looking after yourself and your family first. I would also suggest that for those with the inclination, patience and thick skin, either what you have left over or what you choose to do as a job, it is rewarding to both you and those who you give a new lease of life to.

I also agree that it is difficult to define what a role model is trying to model as there is a question mark over what is and what should a man be in our society. This is something I am not well equipt to argue. For myself, I feel I try to both live the life of the woodsman, a more macho life some might argue, hard physical work, all weathers, but balance that with what could be perceived as the more modern attributes of a man in my attempts at personal development both academic and emotional. There are lot of men out there who do this far better and so I am far from extalling my own virtues. I am only trying to explain what works for me and what seems to work for the young people I work with and whom seem to show respect to voluntarily.

These thoughts are just for discussion and come from my own experiences.

I need my head for the next few weeks so please dont anyone bite it off. :):eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE