EDC money and cards?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I have one of these and love it. It's small but perfect for my needs. I never carry change, not needed it in years. So just a few cards, ID and some notes. Ages nicely, too. Had it about 3 years now and have never found it to be lacking.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
The sender didn't even put their contact details in the letter, so to this day I'll never know who found my old wallet on a street in Chester!

That's a coincidence, must be the good folk of Chester! I lost a wallet in Chester and had it returned too :)
I'm picturing somewhere in Chester a poor Cestrian spending their days forever returning lost wallets. I hope there's an ancient stipend for the work - two groats a year and rights to graze their goat perhaps.

As tis, mine own wallet-y purse-y thing is entirely dictated by the abysmally small pocket provided for same in an equally abysmal anorak I ended up with. I would not suggest it to my worst enemy (wallet-y purse-y thing or anorak) so will not bother with detail. Hopefully it'll fall apart one day and the impetus to do something about it (wallet-y purse-y thing and anorak) will come upon me. I will read with interest. Although it seems some suggestions could leave me with nothing left to put in the wallet.

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have one of these and love it. It's small but perfect for my needs. I never carry change, not needed it in years. So just a few cards, ID and some notes. Ages nicely, too. Had it about 3 years now and have never found it to be lacking.

Mmm... I might have a go at one of those - well similar anyway.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I REALLY need to buckle down and get to grips with a virtual wallet. It’s too good an idea not to use.
I’d still keep my old hand made wallet. it’s useful because it it’s chained to my car keys by 600mm of chain running through a snap shackle clipped to my belt.
This is not security, it’s to make up for failing brain cells. It works in that I have never lost wallet or car keys in the last 25 years.
It’s not some epic adventure.

Just download the app.

Scan the card.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I just have a wallet, think I bought it TK Max.
Holds a couple of bank cards and qualification cards that I need when I rock up on a new site.
I've thought about making one but they only cost about a tenner or so and last for five or more years anyway.

I'm not buying or selling secondhand longdogs so a money clip seems a bit superfluous, plus I'd still need a mate to keep hold of all the money I'd have to pretend to borrow off him if my lowball offers fail.

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
This is the only photo I have to hand but this simple leather slip wallet that has been a revelation after years of carrying around a bulky ‘traditional’ wallet filled with superfluous junk.

I’ve been using this for several years now and it gets better with age; room for around 5 cards and a slip pocket at the front to take a few folded notes. It’s relatively flat and disappears nicely into a pocket.

This particular one was made by a maker that went by the name of Terrier Leather that sadly doesn’t seem to be in business any longer.

Snapseed.jpeg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have been using the same leather wallet (one that my company gave out to customers) for over 30 years. It's starting to get tatty and I have been getting fed up with trying to carry a wallet, a phone, glasses, penknife etc. when just wearing jeans and a shirt. OK, now winter is coming there's less of a problem.

Anyway, TCALSS (to cut a long story short :)) - for the last month I've started just carrying my phone in a slim case with a credit card and a debit card - no cash, no loyalty cards, no driving licence - I feel free! :)

I too am now wallet free. Well not completely true as I do have a wallet but it rarely if ever leaves home. I have Google wallet on my phone which if lost is secured with biometrics unlike my actual card that cares no who wields it. I have no need to carry ID with me as we do not live in a police state, not quite yet anyway...

On the few occasions I have taken out a card to either get cash or pay for more expensive items I have ended up misplacing it!

Good riddance i say.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I too am now wallet free. Well not completely true as I do have a wallet but it rarely if ever leaves home. I have Google wallet on my phone which if lost is secured with biometrics unlike my actual card that cares no who wields it. I have no need to carry ID with me as we do not live in a police state, not quite yet anyway...

On the few occasions I have taken out a card to either get cash or pay for more expensive items I have ended up misplacing it!

Good riddance i say.

Step this way Sir for your tag implant.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Like @Mesquite i made mine some considerable time ago.
I bought an old Singer from a charity shop and I already had some upholstery leather. My wallet is just a long strip about 150mm wide folded with similar short pieces very inexpertly sewn across it to form pockets. My cards are in bunches.
I didn’t know how I was going to close it and had a the excess strip still attached. I rolled it all up for the night and it’s been like that ever since. Rough but effective.
Readers of my posts will conclude that I am not in any way a perfectionist; I am a proud adequist.

Edited to ask:
Is it true that stacking two cards together with their chips overlapping will confuse a rogue reader?

And:
Does anyone know anyone who has had cards hacked in this manner?

Out of curiosity, I asked Chat-GPT :)

Credit card EMV (Europay, Mastercard, and Visa) shields, often referred to as RFID-blocking sleeves or wallets, are designed to protect your credit card information from unauthorized scanning. These shields are intended to block radio frequency identification (RFID) signals, which are used in contactless payment methods like contactless credit cards, RFID-enabled passports, and some keyless entry systems.

The idea behind these shields is to prevent potential thieves with RFID scanning equipment from wirelessly reading the information stored on your card, such as the card number and expiration date. The concern is that if someone with malicious intent can scan this information, they might be able to engage in fraudulent activities or identity theft.

However, it's important to understand a few key points:

1. Limited Usefulness: The need for an RFID-blocking shield for credit cards is somewhat debated. While the technology exists for unauthorized scanning, actual instances of RFID card theft are relatively rare compared to other forms of credit card fraud. Most contactless payment systems have security measures in place to protect against this type of theft.
  2. EMV Chip Technology: Most modern credit cards come equipped with EMV chips, which provide strong security features. These chips generate a unique transaction code for each purchase, making it extremely difficult for thieves to clone your card. As a result, the need for RFID protection is somewhat diminished.
  3. Physical Access Required: For someone to steal your card information using RFID, they would need to be in close physical proximity to your card, typically a few inches or less. This makes RFID theft less likely to occur in crowded places or from a distance.
  4. Alternative Security Measures: If you are concerned about RFID theft, you can take additional security measures, such as setting up transaction alerts on your card, regularly monitoring your credit card statements, and keeping your card in a secure wallet or cardholder.
In summary, while RFID-blocking shields can provide an extra layer of protection, they may not be strictly necessary for most people. The primary reason to use them is for peace of mind. If you are worried about RFID theft or simply prefer to err on the side of caution, using an RFID-blocking wallet or sleeve can provide that extra level of protection. However, the most effective security measures come from the credit card companies themselves through chip technology and transaction monitoring.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You two getting quite , "friendly" aren't you ?

Would you jump off a cliff if.... :)

She says she has no emotions and doesn't love me. I think she's seeing someone else :(

Seriously though, I enjoy trying different ways of questioning. I don't take anything, said by anybody, published anywhere, on face value; I always research multiple sources before making decisions. There's no truth that I have not seen with my own eyes :)

• Haha
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
She says she has no emotions and doesn't love me. I think she's seeing someone else :(

Seriously though, I enjoy trying different ways of questioning. I don't take anything, said by anybody, published anywhere, on face value; I always research multiple sources before making decisions. There's no truth that I have not seen with my own eyes :)
Interesting that you consider it ' female ' .

• Haha
Reactions: bobnewboy and Broch

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
There's been talk of every day carry referring to knives, tools, rucksacks / bags, pens, etc. I wonder if there's been any talk about an everyday carry wallet? It's something most men have with them at all times, often with tools like Swiss card in them, perhaps bulging at the seams or perhaps minimalist. Leather traditional bi or trifold or ultra modern aircraft grade metal card holders or simple money clip.

So many types of money and card holders but I don't think there's been much on her about them. I mean we can't do anything much without having money or cards these days. Even if it's only to hold loved ones photo and ICE card. It's practically an essential for even our most remote trips!

A year ago I got annoyed with how my wallet would just get filled up with rubbish. Old receipts I didn't need to keep, loyalty cards for places I never go to anymore, etc. So I got a cheap leather thing. Window pocket for drivers licence, card pockets and a central pocket for a limited number of notes or receipts. Very thin and only just bigger than cards. Works well but I'm bored.

Shopping around there's some nice metal ones with popular card slots, external money clip or band, RFID blocking etc. Such as ridge brand. Even in titanium! Or a traditional leather card holder with magic note holders. Open up, put note loose in it, close and when you reopen the notes are held securely by elastic bands in the middle. There's even a tactical one in aircraft grade aluminium, RFUD blocking, multi tool like Swisscard but all metal and various metal loops to take paranoid if you need to hang it around the neck discretely for security reasons guess. Gimmick?

Anyway, what do you carry you cards / cash around in? What is your EDC money holders? Any recommendations?
Chest Rig?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE