Where have all the men gone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Infact why do you think we are both on here learning bushcraft? because I want to dissapear into the woods as much as you do!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was merely trying to get my head around the fact that someone suggested chemical sterilisation (genocide) earlier in the thread.

No need for expensive chemicals. I have an axe!

:D

What needs to be addressed is the state of the country. How it will be solved is beyond me, but paying for folk to sit at homre and get wasted on drink and drugs at the taxpayers expense is not the way foreward. Already, due to the hike in fuel costs, people are losing work. Where will they end up? On the Old King Cole, a further burden on the taxpayer. Eventually this house of cards will tumble, and nobody, but nobody, will care one fig about anybody but their nearest and dearest.

I'm not a TEOTWAWKI fanatic, but I can see the future being quite bleak for the evryday man if radical changes are not made soon. China have had a generation of single child parents with the proviso that they get free schooling or college or such like, which is withdrawn if a second child is born. Basically, I don't think that is enough for the UK. Giving handouts to people who have not out anything into the state is ludicrous. It shouldn't be a career to stay on the dole for as long as you can. It is a safety net for those finding themselves temporarily unemployed.

If people are on the dole, then there needs to be more effort into ensuring that they are seeking jobs. I can tell you for a fact that there is little checking going on. I had a discussion earlier in the year during my six weeks on the dole on where my interviewer was born! Not once was I asked if I had applied for any jobs since I had last signed on. Those who have made a career of doleing should be put to work on the streets of UK clearing up dog crap, graffiti, litter and fly tippings. If they don't attend, their benefits cease, no questions asked. If more and more people keep sponging for life, then the whole system will crumble. Who is paying for the spongers' pension when they get to pensionable age? They haven't put a bean in the pot all their lives and yet they continue to get handouts? And we wonder why this country is so screwed up? Take a look about, the kids are the least of our worries at the moment!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So - I am not alone, an official report agrees with my findings!
PC is mad and bad when taken to extreemes - which is what happens!
No wonder the men are hiding.....

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Was just about to post to the same article. I did find the Home Office viewpoint interesting; "The Home Office said there was no evidence that vetting had deterred volunteers or eroded trust." Maybe it's about time some Home Office officials got out on the volunteering front line

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
So - I am not alone, an official report agrees with my findings!
PC is mad and bad when taken to extreemes - which is what happens!
No wonder the men are hiding.....
More accurately... a right-wing think-tank agrees with your findings.

Not an "official" report, and written by an organisation with a vested interest in promoting scare stories about the insidious spread of "political correctness gone mad" to further their own particular brand of right-wing, anti-Labour politics.

Worth taking their conclusions with a pinch of salt ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
WELL worth taking this labour "government"s conclusion with a pinch of salt as well!;)
Otherwise where does the question in the threads title come from?

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
More accurately... a right-wing think-tank agrees with your findings.

Not an "official" report, and written by an organisation with a vested interest in promoting scare stories about the insidious spread of "political correctness gone mad" to further their own particular brand of right-wing, anti-Labour politics.

Worth taking their conclusions with a pinch of salt ;)

I was going to add that CIVITAS aren't renowned for impartiality! Just trying to keep things on track.

:)

galew

Tenderfoot
Blokes volunteering get accused of being kiddie fiddlers.
Plus rampant fabianism means that male viewpoints aren't welcome.
Sow the wind and you shall reap the whirlwind.
There lies the problem, I have considered it many times, and every time is comes up that now days if a kid gets ******, all they have to do is tell the cops you fondled them and you are a child molester, they get nothing, you lose your job and can't work anywhere or live withing a mile of a school. That is if you don't go to prison.

galew

Tenderfoot
A timely and apt reminder.

Unfortunately though it did prove to be very popular and not only with the obvious and most inhuman regimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization

As a newcomer I don't want to fall out already but I can't believe people are seriously suggesting that we allow the state to decide whose genes are worthy of being permitted to reproduce. I share many of the frustrations and concerns about our degenerating society but surely such brutal inhumanity is not the way forward

I agree, but there is a saying, (too bad it is not true) "one proven defense for shooting someone is that they just needed to be killed."

galew

Tenderfoot
It is a thorny debate this one isn't it?

Should we target individuals trying to make a difference to one life directly or more

One medical charity to assist in trying to find cures (Cancer)
One responsive charity to help with unforseen disasters (The Red Cross)
One personally focussed charity trying to help the worlds truly needy (We sponsor two children in the same Ethiopian Village)
One UK charity try to assist the most genuinely vulnerable in the UK (Shelter)

Red
I have taken the route of selecting individuals that truly need help and appreciate the help given. My wife and I are helping put two children through college, (not our own) in the Philippines, we also bought a fishing boat for a family there, paid for the materials to put a new roof on a a chapel, paid for the material to build a cafeteria for one of the schools. The students we are putting through college have the strict orders that once they graduate and have jobs, that to pay us back, they find a student and pay to put them through college. In the past we have put three other students through college and they are now helping others.
The only charities I give to is the Salvation Army and the disabled vets.

galew

Tenderfoot
Some kids are born into awful families, live in awful areas, go to awful schools and then end up young offenders. Mentoring programs like what JP does show a light out of whatever accident of birth a kid finds themselves. No child asks to be born. They did not cause their own problems, they are capable with the correct guidance to fix them though and live a life that is far better than what spawned them. It is a shame that more men don't pick up the baton, but then modern Britain is pretty selfish.
But out of the same "terrible childhood" others become doctors, engineers, and teachers. It is not the environment, that determines the outcome, it is that some look around and think I don't want to do this, I want something better. True sometimes it is a teacher or a mentor that starts them thinking that way, and I believe it should be the teachers job to instill in the students that they have the potential to be great.
Too many look around and say, well I am going to get and get, and what I can't get, I will steal. If I want to get ahead, I will sell drugs.
My wife is a teacher, and when she was teaching thrid grade, she was stressing to the students the importance of learning and getting good grades so they could get good jobs when they got out of school. One of the students said I don't need to go to school, she asked him how he would make a living if he didn't go to school, his reply was that he would just sell drugs like his older brother.
Not much hope for that one.

Path Finder

Jan 3, 2008
Devon
trackingcourses.com
I often hear men complaining about our youth and why does the government not do something about their behaviour and we see on TV the results of their behaviour being acted out on our streets, what with knife crime etc.

And yet it is mostly women from all ethic backgrounds doing mentoring work I remember when I did it was mostly women but at that time there were more men. JP told me that the programme he is on said that the young men do not want to attend because they want male mentors.

So my challenge is this, our young men are crying out for good male role models so were are they why are we not stepping forward to help guide them, to show them right from wrong and to lead them by example.

I think its time we men started to behave like men and take up our rightful position we can not leave it all to the government etc.

There are of course men out there doing great work with our youth but I do believe we need a lot more.

If this has pushed any buttons for you then maybe it is worth taking a look at why if this has not pushed any buttons for you them maybe it is worth taking a look at why not.

With the best will in the world our young men need us, so come on guys step out and do it… you are more qualified than you know.

Hi Guys

This has been an interesting thread some very relevant points have been made and some not so very relevant. I would like to bring it back to the original point by simply summarising this thread and I trust we will all will see the point, which is if you can help no matter how small then why not take the risk and reach out to those who can personally benefit from your experience to help them find their way back to their path:

There are four people in a team.

Their names are Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done.

Although Anybody could have done it, Everybody was asked to do it, but eventually Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because the job had been given to Everybody.

Everybody knew that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn’t do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Best Wishes

Geoffrey

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
But out of the same "terrible childhood" others become doctors, engineers, and teachers. It is not the environment, that determines the outcome, it is that some look around and think I don't want to do this, I want something better. True sometimes it is a teacher or a mentor that starts them thinking that way, and I believe it should be the teachers job to instill in the students that they have the potential to be great.
Too many look around and say, well I am going to get and get, and what I can't get, I will steal. If I want to get ahead, I will sell drugs.
My wife is a teacher, and when she was teaching thrid grade, she was stressing to the students the importance of learning and getting good grades so they could get good jobs when they got out of school. One of the students said I don't need to go to school, she asked him how he would make a living if he didn't go to school, his reply was that he would just sell drugs like his older brother.
Not much hope for that one.

actually statistics quite heavily show environment is the biggest factor. Remember environement includes social not just economic.

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
Tut tut! Aspergers doesnt stop you from doing anything! Both myself and my partner have AS. I used to also find the idea of working with people highly stressful and scary, for years Ive been usless. Now I work with other adults with autism from low functioning to high, and Ive worked with a number of various disabilities in the past. I can appreciate you might not like the idea, but you can only grow in these areas if you step out of your comfort area and plunge into it. I didnt like people at all, but now I enjoy their company and most people are unaware I have an autistic spectrum disorder. As people with disabilities ourselves, you have a lot to offer in a mentoring service, especially as more and more young men who are going off the rails are discovered to actually have ASD or LD, I found I had a quick and natural empathy for people with ASD, I understand their behaviour much better than many other support workers, and thus I discovered a skill which helped my self esteem.
My partner was one of the first in the UK diagnosed with aspergers in 1989. By which time he had already been expelled from nursery with most schools refusing to take him. He was labelled a problem children, it was only with quality one to one therapy and faith in his ability to grow into a functioning adult that he was able to overcome his problems and go on to university to study learning disability nursing. A year into his course a doctor caught wind of his diagnosis, labelled "asburgers" as a "psychotic mental illness" and promtly struck him from the course labelling him permanently unfit to nurse. Ever. He got a solicitor argued and won the case on grounds of outright descrimination, and was readmitted to another university 2 years later, upon which he has graduated top of the year, scoring the highest ever of 99% on his disertation, won a nursing award and is now working with challenging adults. I might sound like Im rambling abit but my point is my partner could now be in sheltered accomodation somewhere because nobody believed in him and the education system attempted to shunt him into a special school. He now uses his experience to work with highly challenging adults and is in the process of suing his former university, a case which if it comes to court and he wins, will create a bylaw making it illegal for uni's to ever refuse admittance to your children (and presumably mine if I have them) ever again on the grounds of having autism. So you see, just helping one person can make all the difference :)

Since my son(8) has Aspergers totally behind you/your partner.Hope his legal action is successful!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Guys

This has been an interesting thread some very relevant points have been made and some not so very relevant. I would like to bring it back to the original point by simply summarising this thread and I trust we will all will see the point, which is if you can help no matter how small then why not take the risk and reach out to those who can personally benefit from your experience to help them find their way back to their path:

Although Anybody could have done it, Everybody was asked to do it, but eventually Nobody did it.

Everybody knew that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn’t do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Best Wishes

Geoffrey

Said it all :D

cheers,
M

leon-1

Hi Guys

Best Wishes

Geoffrey

Very much puts me in mind of

Benjamin Franklin said:
"For the want of a nail, the shoe was lost; for the want of a shoe the horse was lost; and for the want of a horse the rider was lost, being overtaken and slain by the enemy, all for the want of care about a horseshoe nail."

It's the Domino effect in action.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
An article in todays 'Independent' may be of interest to people following this thread...

A reference to the lack of role models for young men...

"Kirk's friend John, 17, agrees. "I think the younger generation needs someone to look up to. There's no proper, key role models – it's all about actors," he says. John is against carrying a knife. And it's not because he hasn't experienced being at the wrong end of a blade. When a group tried to rob him for his chain recently, he resisted. "It was my dead nan's, and I wouldn't give it to them, so they stabbed me in the head until I passed out,"

Society and environment...

"Being disenfranchised is pertinent. If there's no reason to look outside the tiny network of streets in which you live, that becomes your identity. In London, violence against strangers who "trespass" is known as "repping" your postcode. "Some people feel this means more to them than anywhere in the world," one boy, his back to the camera, tells Neumann. "They'd rather stand on these pavements that we walk on, that we spit on and **** on, and die on it – because, you know, that is their dream, they want to know this is me, this is where I live." A confined space, containing a jumble of lives, acts as a pressure cooker – it doesn't take much to explode"

Solutions...

"She says that some of the methodologies the Government uses to try to turn teens around are off the mark. "Amnesties, knife concerts, poster campaigns: that's what middle-class people use to communicate ... they're still thinking it's a pure moral choice ... It's more about survival and the response to savagery."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE