EDC money and cards?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's been talk of every day carry referring to knives, tools, rucksacks / bags, pens, etc. I wonder if there's been any talk about an everyday carry wallet? It's something most men have with them at all times, often with tools like Swiss card in them, perhaps bulging at the seams or perhaps minimalist. Leather traditional bi or trifold or ultra modern aircraft grade metal card holders or simple money clip.

So many types of money and card holders but I don't think there's been much on her about them. I mean we can't do anything much without having money or cards these days. Even if it's only to hold loved ones photo and ICE card. It's practically an essential for even our most remote trips!

A year ago I got annoyed with how my wallet would just get filled up with rubbish. Old receipts I didn't need to keep, loyalty cards for places I never go to anymore, etc. So I got a cheap leather thing. Window pocket for drivers licence, card pockets and a central pocket for a limited number of notes or receipts. Very thin and only just bigger than cards. Works well but I'm bored.

Shopping around there's some nice metal ones with popular card slots, external money clip or band, RFID blocking etc. Such as ridge brand. Even in titanium! Or a traditional leather card holder with magic note holders. Open up, put note loose in it, close and when you reopen the notes are held securely by elastic bands in the middle. There's even a tactical one in aircraft grade aluminium, RFUD blocking, multi tool like Swisscard but all metal and various metal loops to take paranoid if you need to hang it around the neck discretely for security reasons guess. Gimmick?

Anyway, what do you carry you cards / cash around in? What is your EDC money holders? Any recommendations?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I made my own wallet over 7 years ago, hand stitching everything. The credit card inserts I bought from ebay and have replaced once.

It's held up well and I doubt I'll be replacing it any time soon

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That thread's more about what folks have in their wallets whereas this is about the actual wallet/purse itself

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
But what is its walletses? Leather, metal, card holder or everything holder? That thread put the cart before the horse! You can't put anything in something without the something to put it in. First stop, what is your walletses?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I wouldn't mind a recommendation for a cheap but long lasting RFID blocking card holder. It just needs to hold a couple of cards.

Cash I just keep in my phone cover. Neither of which I carry every day, only when needed.*

*OWN for those who like TLAs.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Like @Mesquite i made mine some considerable time ago.
I bought an old Singer from a charity shop and I already had some upholstery leather. My wallet is just a long strip about 150mm wide folded with similar short pieces very inexpertly sewn across it to form pockets. My cards are in bunches.
I didn’t know how I was going to close it and had a the excess strip still attached. I rolled it all up for the night and it’s been like that ever since. Rough but effective.
Readers of my posts will conclude that I am not in any way a perfectionist; I am a proud adequist.

Edited to ask:
Is it true that stacking two cards together with their chips overlapping will confuse a rogue reader?

And:
Does anyone know anyone who has had cards hacked in this manner?

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I had to hunt around for a wallet that zips up. Apparently a wallet with a zip is a purse because manly men care not whether things can fall out of their manly wallet. Anyway, my wallet has a zip and "RFID blocking" which does not block RFID. It holds cards, cash, coins, receipts and could probably house a pocket dictionary and family of shrews at a push.
I hate the hipster EDC culture with minimalist carbon fibre card holders that cost the earth for sod all.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Last time I've looked into it there was only theoretical / lab based hacks. No recognised hacks in the wild.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have been using the same leather wallet (one that my company gave out to customers) for over 30 years. It's starting to get tatty and I have been getting fed up with trying to carry a wallet, a phone, glasses, penknife etc. when just wearing jeans and a shirt. OK, now winter is coming there's less of a problem.

Anyway, TCALSS (to cut a long story short :)) - for the last month I've started just carrying my phone in a slim case with a credit card and a debit card - no cash, no loyalty cards, no driving licence - I feel free! :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had to hunt around for a wallet that zips up. Apparently a wallet with a zip is a purse because manly men care not whether things can fall out of their manly wallet. Anyway, my wallet has a zip and "RFID blocking" which does not block RFID. It holds cards, cash, coins, receipts and could probably house a pocket dictionary and family of shrews at a push.
I hate the hipster EDC culture with minimalist carbon fibre card holders that cost the earth for sod all.
Bellroy zipped wallet for men or women. Genuinely RFID blocking version is available

I got an EONO minimalist front pocket card holder with cash pocket for under a tenner. In leather supposedly RFID blocking too. Amazon basics product. Not hipster perhaps, but cheap and very good for carrying cards, train smartcard, window pocket for licence or other ID card and actually very compact.

For the hundred pound plus metal ones there's cheaper versions on amazon for third of the price or less. Ridge makes £109+ metal card, notes and coin holder wallets. Also in titanium for more dosh. There's something similar on amazon for £24. That's pretty much the story, cheap copies of fancy, expensive hipster wallets on amazon.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've got a leather card holder. Nice and slim. I like how it's ageing. Inside I carry my drivers licence, 1 bank card, 1 credit card and a picture of my boss.

I also carry about £250 in cash separately (which is hardly ever touched). I still think that cash is king, and having some walking around money is bloody handy. If I do touch it, I'll replace funds on the next pay day. Saved me twice over the years, first by paying for a meal when my card got rejected at a restaurant (bank stopped it after a day of high value purchases all over London, bosses 'surprise' birthday) and secondly when I lost my old wallet and due to an impromptu offer of work I needed hotel accommodation! Happy ending for my wallet as well, a good samaritan found it in the street and posted it to me, with a nice letter saying they hoped I wasn't too disadvantaged by the loss of it. The sender didn't even put their contact details in the letter, so to this day I'll never know who found my old wallet on a street in Chester!

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
For loyalty cards, use an app like stocard.

(and it works for climbing wall membership cards - I have cards for me and both my kids across multi walls so physical cards would take up too much space)

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I REALLY need to buckle down and get to grips with a virtual wallet. It’s too good an idea not to use.
I’d still keep my old hand made wallet. it’s useful because it it’s chained to my car keys by 600mm of chain running through a snap shackle clipped to my belt.
This is not security, it’s to make up for failing brain cells. It works in that I have never lost wallet or car keys in the last 25 years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE