what's your prefered pocket knife? + pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I now have an Alox Farmer on my keychain, due to recommendations on BCUK. It hangs along with an LED modified mini-maglite, and my keys.

I guess the best knife is the one you have on you ;)

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
This is my favourite
DSCF0997.jpg

You don't spare the oil with these.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
it's nice to see a knife that's been well used qweeg500!

I've never been a fan of shiney knives, don't see the point in a knife that you are scared to use.

who else has old beauties?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I can picture an old boy gutting a few rabbits with it, wipeing it on his mole skins then using it to cut his ploughmans sarnie in half!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can picture an old boy gutting a few rabbits with it, wipeing it on his mole skins then using it to cut his ploughmans sarnie in half!

More like sturgeon and wiping on seal skins. That knife has character and history. I love that stuff.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
if you accept the caution you are accepting you broke the law, when you actually haven't! ;)
indeed that was my point people get fooled into the 'easy' way out which can make life just as complex

Not so, many people have been prosecuted with a slippie under 3ins being defined as a 'offensive weapon'. Obviously each case has different merits, but it does happen. You can't control the circumstances surrounding a search, but it will be up to the individual to prove justification. I think our laws are decent, but sadly not every police officer understands them well. See Guyceps thread on his UKPK. It is a very fine line, his 'tactical' looking UKPK was seized, while the locking Leatherman Wave was dismissed as a tool and got a very different response despite bing a locking blade.

That wasn't realy what the chap was asking though was it. If you have a sub 3" slippy on you, you dont have to justify anything - it will be up to the police officer to demonstrate that you had it in your posion as an 'offensive weapon' whether thats to the desk seregent, cps, jp or full jury will indeed depend on a number of things.

I'm unaware of Guyceps thread but seeing as he's still 'out' and making knives i assume the matter was dropped - and that the perfectly legal pocket knife was returned to him (cant check BB's down)

I'm not interested in an individual police officers understanding of the law, i'm legally entitled to carry my slippy so i do, in the very same way i'm intitled to carry my lighter - if the police want to try and assume I'm an arsonist goodluck to them.

anyway these are mine, infact apart fro an ALOX SAK they are the only knives i own :D

P1000310.jpg

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Guyceps UKPK was taken and destroyed as he was not prepared to contest it in court. Not so his Leatherman Wave. It's an interesting thread and the reactions of the officers are also interesting as to how they perceived the UKPK compared to the lockable longer bladed Leatherman. You can see both sides of the argument well presented.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
corso that big friction folder at the top looks pretty cool, do you have a picture of it open?

and jonathand, do you have a link to that thread of guyceps? I can't give a decent opinion on the matter untill I've atleast glimpsed at it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It won't load dude..

the knife does look good though, it's a shame our laws are to a universal standard around Britain, one copper undertsands the knife IS legal another nicks you and treats you like law breaking vermin.

not alot we can do though as any mention of softening the knife laws atm would just be another selling point for the damned press to f' about with!

oh.. it's now loaded!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ok, just read a few pages of it..not all as I'm a bit tired( cider infused ;) ) but from what I can see the police in his circumstances were right 'sorts' but..and that is a big but, he was working a door with a quick opening knife in his pocket.

IMHO I wouldn't feel safe as a punter to a club or pub with doormen who were carrying knives ..BUT..I wouldn't be too fussed if some were carrying multi tools (like he was also carrying) and I think that is due to the fact a multi tool is considered (ignorantly?) as a 'tool' whereas a knife like the ukpk could very easily be seen as a knife that opens one handed and fixes in place like a knife used for 'defence' or as a 'weapon'.

That's not to say he commited an offence as our law does say he was lawfully carrying his knife but..he was facing an assault charge so obviously the police considered him a pretend authority figure and thug who was carrying a 'weapon'.

I would have gone to court about it, genuinely I would ahve, but I don't have a career in the forces or a job where it matters.

The knife is sweet though and I'd hate to have any fuss with my edc knives.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

I carried a Schrade Wostenholme lockback with bone and nickel silver bolsters for years, I then lost it so I carried this old Pradel for a load of years (it had a gold Eiffel tower on the scale which I wore away in my pocket)
pradelpocketknife.jpg

pradelhorn.jpg

pradel.jpg

I now carry a small Opinel on my key ring :rolleyes:

John

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
corso that big friction folder at the top looks pretty cool, do you have a picture of it open?

Its VEY cool :D

its by a chap called smokepole/kharoo on BB - he's just launched them - turn around fro order to delvery was about 10days from South Africa!

will sortsome pics son - but thre are plenty of reviews on BB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE