what's your prefered pocket knife? + pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I dont think so BB would have been ll over it if there had been

I would also imagine most knife posession cases are resolved by the acceptance of a caution

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

I would also imagine most knife posession cases are resolved by the acceptance of a caution

if you accept the caution you are accepting you broke the law, when you actually haven't! ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Not so, many people have been prosecuted with a slippie under 3ins being defined as a 'offensive weapon'. Obviously each case has different merits, but it does happen. You can't control the circumstances surrounding a search, but it will be up to the individual to prove justification. I think our laws are decent, but sadly not every police officer understands them well. See Guyceps thread on his UKPK. It is a very fine line, his 'tactical' looking UKPK was seized, while the locking Leatherman Wave was dismissed as a tool and got a very different response despite bing a locking blade.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Grendel, what's the 3rd down from the top pic?

I remember a glut of those being brought over from Spain when I was a youngster.

It’s a Kris blade Flick knife. More a collector’s toy since it's illegal to take it out of the house for any reason so get uses as a letter opener as does the butterfly knife.

As for legality I started taking my Openel No7 to work with me for cutting up fruit at lunch time. I presume if I got stopped and didn’t have any fruit with me that would make it illegal to carry it since I would have no probable reason?

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It’s a Kris blade Flick knife. More a collector’s toy since it's illegal to take it out of the house for any reason so get uses as a letter opener as does the butterfly knife.

As for legality I started taking my Openel No7 to work with me for cutting up fruit at lunch time. I presume if I got stopped and didn’t have any fruit with me that would make it illegal to carry it since I would have no probable reason?

haha not sure if a copper would like that excuse mate, if you pop the locking ring off and make sure the blade length and edge is under 3" you'll be ok though (that's if your boss doesn't mind).

are you liking the opinel? worth buying?

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Great little knife the Opnel but way too thin a blade to use as a working knife but it's great for cutting up apples. Put it through the sharpmaker and strop before work so it's now razor sharp with a decent edge on it.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Great little knife the Opnel but way too thin a blade to use as a working knife but it's great for cutting up apples. Put it through the sharpmaker and strop before work so it's now razor sharp with a decent edge on it.
Why is it too thin? Most people use a knife thats way too thick. I could pretty well do any UK bushcrafting task with an opinel.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Here are my blades,
P1010146.JPG
I only have a few at present would like a lot more.

Tyla

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2006
Sussex, UK
Why is it too thin? Most people use a knife thats way too thick. I could pretty well do any UK bushcrafting task with an opinel.

My thoughts exactly, i have a no6 in my pocket 24/7 and use it for pretty much everything, rabbits, making lunch, work, odd bits of bushcraft even despatched and processed a fair few roe with it. Not always the same one admittedly, i buy five every christmas and slowly lose them throughout the year.

I've been told opinel are not a problem to carry as the law states "self locking" which they are not. Dont know or care whether its true or not, i've been carrying one for most of my life and have no intention of stopping now!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Check out section 139 of the criminal justice act. It'll explain the laws on the locks and to put it simpley it's not sound for edc without a good reason..

rmbriar

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Bangor
DSCN1662.jpg

Opinel no.09 carbon steel, I'll agree it is thin and if used very rigorously may snap, it's happened to a friend of mine. But what i like is the fantastic edge I can get on it with little effort

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE