What's your favourite trick, cheat or adaptation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have spent many years with gypsies, one of the tricks I learned when I was a young un, was that Horsetail Equisetum spp can be used to clean out the cast cooking pots and diner plates, pot washing etc. It contains silica and a naterual soap. Just grab a handful, use as a pan scrubber in the washing up water.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
If the wick in a tea light or other candle is a little short, instead of digging out and discarding some wax, light the short wick and gradually blot the excess wax as it melts into a twist of tissue paper or kitchen roll. You can use the wax impregnated paper as a taper or spill or even a firelighter and removing the liquid wax from the wick has the same effect as digging it out cold.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I keep a piece of sheep bone on my keyring, shaped into a point, sort of like a small marlin spike or fid. Mine is about 4 inches long, at most.

Useful for poking all sorts of stuff, and a makeshift awl for marking things or pushing through stuff that isn't too hard.

However its main use it that it is brilliant for helping to undo knots in cordage. Just work it into the knot, and it pushes the knot apart, making it easy to untie. This has been invaluable on several occasions where knots have formed under tension and pulled tight. It also helps that it doesn't require any great dexterity to use, so you can use it in cold conditions when fingers are numb, or whilst wearing mittens.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Me too!
Got an overhand knot in the dogs lead that i noticed this morning, thought to myself that this is where the m.o.d penknife would be great.
I need these tips,I can't seem to see the multiple uses of a single wee item very well in my dotage.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I have spent many years with gypsies, one of the tricks I learned when I was a young un, was that Horsetail Equisetum spp can be used to clean out the cast cooking pots and diner plates, pot washing etc. It contains silica and a naterual soap. Just grab a handful, use as a pan scrubber in the washing up water.
I've used bracken before as a pot scourer, while it's green at least, otherwise it takes longer to get out of the pot than the grease does. Cheers for the tip.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Best tip? Learn to use chop sticks :). And buy metal ones, they can be used as tent pegs and a rather scary throwing weapon in the hands of a ninja

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
For nervous sleepers or where the local wildlife may be inquisative, rig a trip line around camp using twine and use a 'figure4' trap release or small bell to create a noise. Great way to settle kids down as darkness falls and you'll often find them asleep with one hand on their camera.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Glue a 4 inch by 3 inch piece of 800 grit emery paper too a same size piece of leather for a light weight knife sharpener/strop all in one.yer can roll it into a tube too ter give yer crook knife a quick tickle too

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE