Military Survival Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
enjoyed the read,...

very well written,...

thanks and well done on completing what sounded like a very thorough course ,....

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
well done tlp im glad you survived the course well written and thanks for sharing regards dave

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I forgot to say- the one bit of kit i had with me that gave me a bit of unexpected comfort was my sabre 45- i pulled out the foam back and used it under my torso when sleeping- it was a very small area in comparison to my body, but you could feel the difference!

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Excellent review mate...as I said in your other thread, priorities of protection and hydration - I'm surprised at you getting sweeties (they must be going soft) although, I'm not sure whether the powers at 'B' may appreciate their tactics exposed as this used to be very protected.

Were you in the Beacons on the 12th 'tabbing' across Corn Du and Pen-y-fan from the Upper Neuadd Reservoir and down to Windy Gap (Bwlch ar y fan) - orange check point 'A' frame on Pen-y-fan, if so I may have bumped into you as I was instructing a mountain navigation course, did you see the downed light aircraft Craig Gwuan Taf ?

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Great report, thanks.
Quote- " • Making a ‘pup’ tent from an issue bivi bag (this was ingenious!) "
Beadwindow calling aside, how did you do this?
Happy trails...torc.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Tim- yes that was us! Those Vango force tens really stand out as checkpoints. I did spot the downed aircraft- a little alarming- i';ve been meaning to look up on the net to see if i can find out the story behind that.....

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
On the 'beadwindow' issue- there really isn't anything to worry about. We were briefed that the entire course content was unrestricted (it's all in books), and for those military personell due to go on the course, a quick chat with any of the old hats in their unit who have already attended the course will give you an idea of the format. Besides, they outline whats going to happen at the opening brief in any respect...

The pup tent was great. It used a new issue bag (the type with the larger head opening), two pebble eyelets were created at either side of the foot section, tied up with a bendy saplingdug in both sides. The head end was peged down on both sides with pebble eyelets, then a two foot stick used to hold the 'chin' part of the bag up (this formed the highest part of the tent). The excess hood material which would usually be behind the head was folded up and afixed to the top of the stick sforming the door. Its really hard to explain it in words, but it really worked- looked complately solid, no sags, taut oll over.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
well mate, no regular l know would divulge info like that in so much detail even in the naffi que.
good right up though.
cant wait on your TQ right up

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Probably because A) they wouldn't be bothered to, and B) there wouldn't be an interested audience when queuing for your hob nobs! That said though, I’m happy to remove it, and PM it to interested parties on application if someone points out a valid reason for this- it's just I haven't seen one yet....

The TQ stuff would likely be restricted, as I suspect would be the follow up courses that are designed for survival in a non 'permissible' environment, so I doubt I’ll be doing a write up of those!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Very much enjoyed you write up chap, just to point out that imo you haven't anything to worry about in your write, Its not the survival phase that's intended to rely on your own mental state to give you the hint of realism, its there to put you into the state of physical exhaustion through discomfort and low calorie intake, that can them be exploited later on in the other parts of the course.

A

armysurplus365

well mate, no regular l know would divulge info like that in so much detail even in the naffi que.
good right up though.

To many other good buzzes in the naafi que ;) Great right up. Having done a similar course dont think I could explain as good as that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE