Bushcraft on a budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
By it's very nature Bushcraft requires a certain amount of kit, even if you cut it right down to the basics and kit costs money. In this artice I'm going to try and suggest cheaper alternatives to top of the range kit and also what could be made yourself.

First you'll need something to carry your kit in, and although you can pay upwards of £200 for a pack, there are a few hardwearing alternatives to be had for very little money. The 1st is the highlander military 44 that is hardwearing and cheap with loads of features and at this time can be got for less than £30 on the web
forces_44.jpg

And if that's over your budget the swedish LK35 is a good hardwearing pack with frame for under a tenner
rucksack_35l_swedish.jpg

Next comes something to sleepunder or in. Basically to keep the elements off your bod while you kip and do your daily chores. The simplest form of portable shelter is of course is the tarp, and although again you can pay big bucks for one (up to about £100) there are cheaper alternatives. For one you could go to a DIY shop like B&Q, Walmart or machine mart for example and pick up a plain green 8'X10' poly tarp for less than £6.00 or a 10'X12' camo one for less than £12.00.
0653.jpg
The other option is a small tent and Ebay is your friend here with some tents being sold for as little as £4.00.

The next consideration is your sleeping arrangements. You'll need a sleeping bag or bedroll of some description ans something to insulate you against the cold ground. A bed roll can be made from some cheap ex army blankets and a sheet of canvas but as you can imagine the 2 enemies of weight and bulk start to creep in. Bedding can be made from heather or spruce boughs etc if you don't want a kip mat. Although cheap foam "Aerobics" mats can be found for £1.00 in some thrift stores. The other option is a proper sleeping bag but the cheaper ones are usually bulky, so this is one item you may have to bite the bulley and fork out a bit more money for.

Navigation equipment ! Yep you've guessed it Some compasses, GPS devices etc go for hundreds of pounds like the British Army Prismatic at a mere £240
black.jpg
Or the Garmin Etrex Vista GPS at £300
00103003.jpg
The thing to remember is that although GPS is fun and can be very simple, even the expensive ones need batteries and once they're exhausted you're prized GPS becomes and expensive house brick !! My advice is get a compass and learn how to use it. The best compass makers like SILVA, RECTA, SUUNTO and BRUNTON all do budget models for under a tenner and these are high quality items that won't let you down.
ph_compass.jpg

Cooking equipment is best to be stainless for hygienic reasons and you can make simple billy cans by investing is a stainless steel tea caddy set from your local thrift store and putting wire handles on them made from coat hangers. Likewise a steel mug doesn't have to be a crusader at £15 you can get many quite passable steel mugs for under £5
stainless-steel-camp-mug.jpg

Water bottles can simply be polythene fizzy drinks bottles washed out once the original contents have been used.

For lighting, candle lanterns can be made from old beer cans by simply cutting a window out and placing an ordinary bit of household candle inside. Most hardware shops will sell small serviceable torches for a few pounds and a headband can be quickly sewn up from some wide elastic to make a handsfree setup similar to what's on offer for the AA maglite commercially.

Wetfire tinder can be made by soaking cotton wool balls with Vaseline and packing in small plastic bags.

There are many homemade stove plans on the net. Just check out a few links and take your pick
http://zenstoves.net/
http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html

Cutting Tools.... Ahh yes this subject can cause fire in the belly of the most mild mannered bushcrafter and cutting tools are a very personal thing, but remember, we're on a budget so you get what you can and I'll try and give a few pointers. First off the knife. You can part with £100's of pounds for a knife and have it hanging off your belt gleaming like some kind of trophy... or on the other hand you can get a good quality knife for about a tenner that you won't have a second thought about the blade getting dirty or tarnished or indeed if it's going to lose it's value if you cut something with it. For a fixed blade you can't go wrong with the "Frosts Mora " blades.
G105.jpg
They are razor sharp, easy to maintain and are tough as old boots. and in some places you can still get change from £10 if you buy one. For folders I like the rustic simplicity of the "Opinel" carbon from france.
Opinel_8_10_12_2.jpg
They're not pretty but they do exactly what they're supposed to and do it well.
For a saw there are many cheap models available, just type "Pruning Saw" in Ebay and there are loads. Sure enough the cheap ones aren't going to last as long as a laplander but as an example I recently felled, limbed and took to the tip a 12' conifer using only the saw I bought from a £1 shop. One of these
silverline%20pruning%20saw%20small.jpg

There are many cheap axes on the market and unfortunately quite a few are poorly made, but there are some out there to be had for a reasonable price. The Vaughan Hatchet from axminster tools is an excellent small axe for just £20,
441040_l.jpg
half the price of a GB and a good quality bit of kit.
The old army poncho is also worth the £8 or so they go for. Not the most stylish bit of kit but they keep most of the weather off and if a few of your mates get them they can all be popped together to make a huge tarp to sit under.
15poncho.gif

Well I hope this has given some food for thought and perhaps it will save some of your hard earned.

Take care out there

Mad Dave

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Great read maddave and i am sure a lot of people will appreciate this. Must have taken a while to write up :rolleyes: .

Have a rep point too dude :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Excellent piece.... Dont forget 'string' instead of paracord :D .... I use garden twin alot.... the stuff made out of plant fibre. Its also great as tinder if you spend some time pulling the fibres apart :)

Ed

Reactions: swyn

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Ed said:
Excellent piece.... Dont forget 'string' instead of paracord :D .... I use garden twin alot.... the stuff made out of plant fibre. Its also great as tinder if you spend some time pulling the fibres apart :)

Ed

Great idea.....Any more money saving idea's get em written down here for the benefit of all !! :You_Rock_

Reactions: bushwacker bob

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Dave,
You're a man after my own heart. I often think along the lines of - "I can make one of those". Which often becomes "maybe I can't get it as good as theirs" but the journey along the way often points out the features or gimmicks that I don't want or need - so I end up buying the right one for me instead of the one the manufacturers say is the best!

Nice piece

Ogri the trog

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Dont forget your local £1 shop as well.

I've got a headlamp, tent pegs, sharpening stone, 'never go out' birthday candles, LOTS of other candles, cheap polyrope, small tarps, LED keyring torches etc etc

It may not be the best kit going, but if its all you have at the time, it helps !!

Oh yeah, i know have four airhorns, the type that take the air can as well :p

Very good write up Dave :D

Have some rep :)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
If you want to build your own kit - from pots and pans to snowshoes via chairs- then buy Wildwood Wisdom by Ellsworth Jaeger. It has so many useful pieces of information and line drawings.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Top thread starter Maddave, many thanks,I know its going to help out a lot of people new to the bushcraft. Dont forget your local deadmans shops,car boot sales and alike. A while ago someone posted a excellent thread about kit from charity shops. Sorry,but I cant remember who.

Also like the look of that book Sam.

Moko

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
cheers mad dave. not being one to make a decision that quick, finding a decent knife has been stalling my progress and I've been mulling over the opinel for a while and never committed even though it is relatively cheap. Finally put the order in today. 1 bit of kit down, only ten more to go.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Good stuff....inexpensive stuff but not CHEAP stuff, excellent advice.

I could tell the fellow in the poncho is on a budget as he has got no pants, (well trousers for you fellows).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE