a problem for u to solve

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Have you worn the cloak and the PLCE bergen together??

Any how.. My inclination is to ditch all of the stuff you are doubling up on. As Southey points out like cups and mugs.

Ditch the flask a nice to have but not essential.

I'd also ditch the shovel and the Axe.

In the UK you'll be able to buy stuff you need as you go. So you could cut down on clothes and pick stuff up at oxfam / charity shops as you go and then ditch em into the recycling when they get a bit worn or you no longer have any need for em.

With Sleeping bags start off with one appropriate for the season you are traveling in then get your altenative bag ( warmer / cooler) posted to you when you need it.

No need for 3L water bladders when a plastic 2 ltr pop bottle will do.

Food you'll pick up as you go by one means or another.

I'd be inclined to take along a cheap and cheerful gas canister stove as you'll not always be able to have a fire and they generally are a bit more flexible than Hexi.

My thoughts at least...

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
cheers john boy and yes i have worn the sack and cloak together and the hexi stove well i hate gas and will not go near them even tho i petral lanturn but thats diffrent cos i can control the pressure.

now double up idea isnt a bad one
and the pop bottle idea is brilliant cheers

drew

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
a couple of thoughts.

folding shovel - cheap and nasty trowel from the local pound shop, you can even snap off the plastic handle if you want and just use the "blade", if you want a longer handle for whatever reason just use a split stick and a bit of string. it works for me.

Maybe I'm off the mark here but hows about ditching the trowel altogether and just using your knife? Whenever I need to 'take care of business' I'll use my mora to dig a wee hole.

And how about a gorrilapod rather than a full sized tripod?

Why a walking cane? Can't you just pick one up along the trail when needs be and chuck it when it's easy going?

I'd chuck the knife, fork and spoon and buy a folding Ti spork (about a tenner) and use it with your backup knife (I'm guessing a folder?)

And folding water carrier bag? If you don't use it that much and when you do if it's just for transporting water how about a drybag instead? Does the job and when not being used you can put it to use elsewhere.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ah yes, John picked up on a very usefull point, something i have done and it save so much weight it's unbelivable, posting seasonal kit and equipment, not sure if the service is still available but it's worth ago to have kit posted to a post office. that way you don't have to worry about being prepared for all seasons, If you rents or partner or friend would be happy to send you your warmer kit, when the temp dictates, also you just send home the bits that are no longer needed. it really does save you a lot of kit, al i did was to have items numberd and carry a list of what the numbers related to.

to add my thoughts to the trowel, why not just grab a stick, you can work it out:p

Wayland

Hárbarðr
You've already had some good suggestions if you heed them but I think if you are planning something like this you need to be brutal when it comes to cutting your equipment down.

Sentimentality will be one of the first casualties of carrying such a large load.

For example a blanket could easily replace the cloak and have other uses as well.

If you have a mat and a blanket with a few safety pins you don't need an underblanket for example.

A blanket can also add insulation to your sleeping bag meaning you can reduce it's size too.

Everything needs to act as an integrated system.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I have to say it Drew, you are way out on your planning. First thing is to plan your route and intentions before you select your kit. Take only what you need and you'll not need axe or flask or lots of your other kit I don't think. A knife will suffice most jobs and just stop and have a brew when you want a hot drink.

The thing that will spoil your walkabout is weight. You'll be trudging along in the rain and the only thing on your mind will be the weight. You'll be going over and over in your mind about what you can dump and trainers and sandals and suchlike will soon go.

Plan your route, visit friends along the way - every week or so calling on one and having a shower or getting your clothes washed, perhaps having forwarded some supplies there in readiness? There's plenty on here would cook you a good meal I'm sure!!

I did John o'Groats to Lands end carrying all my own gear and everything went into a 65L rucksack just fine. You've had some good advice on using gear that serves two purposes, using oxfam shops etc. but you'll not know what gear you really need until you decide exactly where you are going and therefore what conditions you might encounter. Then look long and hard at your kit list and ask yourself 'Do I REALLY need that?' Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great time. Best regards, Geoff.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ah yes, John picked up on a very usefull point, something i have done and it save so much weight it's unbelivable, posting seasonal kit and equipment, not sure if the service is still available but it's worth ago to have kit posted to a post office. that way you don't have to worry about being prepared for all seasons, If you rents or partner or friend would be happy to send you your warmer kit, when the temp dictates, also you just send home the bits that are no longer needed. it really does save you a lot of kit, al i did was to have items numberd and carry a list of what the numbers related to.

Poste Restante; check it out.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hugo

my camara try pod will definatly go on the out side and so will the roll mat and the stool if i take it and so will the axe and laplander saw and the sandles if i take them oh and my nalage bottle but other than that i dont think there will be any more on the out side

Last edited:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
hugo

my camara try pod will definatly go on the out side and so will the roll mat and the stool if i take it and so will the axe and laplander saw and the sandles if i take them but other than that i dont think there will be any more on the out side

Drew, don't take this the wrong way mate...

Never mind how much stuff you can fit in & on your bergan - Do you have the physical ability to pick it up and walk with it day after day, after day?

I tell the Scouts that they should aim to carry no more than 25% of their body weight...ideally this should be around 20%. Any more than that and they run the risk of injury.

On the subject of stuff outside your pack though - I'd avoid it for several reasons:
  • It increases your chances of losing items.
  • It spoils the balance of the pack.
  • Items on the outside are prone to getting damaged.
  • Theft is easier.
  • Finally, IMHO, it just looks fugly!

Simon

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
fortunatly simon i do yes because i have had false paccking session this is how pick up the problem of having no room for food and yes i could pick it up and yes walking with it was reasonably easy but yes it did way abit like and admittedly that was only walking half a mile in to scout camp on a green field trip and fortunatly i had the car with me and i could come back for foood cheers drew

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
On the subject of stuff outside your pack though - I'd avoid it for several reasons:
  • It increases your chances of losing items.
  • It spoils the balance of the pack.
  • Items on the outside are prone to getting damaged.
  • Theft is easier.
  • Finally, IMHO, it just looks fugly!

Simon

Amen to that...

Drew you're packing too much kit.. It's going to be a killer to lug it around day after day IMHO...

I haven't read exactly what your planning as I couldn't find the thread.. But I ASSUME its a year walking around the UK in a bushcraft style.. Again I ASSUME you havent put any constraints on yourself so you can use transport such as the bus if you wanted or stay in a youth hostel, buy food from Tesco's etc...

But you're going to want to spend as much time outdoors as possible and see as much of the UK as possible.

The concept of a UK walkabout sounds great and I wish you well with it.

But I cannot help but think having a 120 ltr bergen stuffed full with stuff strapped to the outside is going to a right PITA to lug around it'll be soul destroying to walk with any reasonable distance..

Paring down your load to something more manageable will make the whole experience far more fun.

Cheers

John

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hey Drew.
Whenever I need to really cut down. I have a system I call "The rule of three". What you do is organise the kit you want to take into three piles. 1st pile is ESSENTIALS (stuff you really can't do without ie: sleeping bag or rucksack). 2nd pile is NON ESSENTIALS (stuff you don't actually NEED but would like to take ie: binoculars, books, spare footwear etc). 3rd pile is LUXURIES (stuff that you don't need at all but they're "fun" or "gadgety" ie: more than one knife, anything that is already covered in the previous 2 piles).

Once you have sorted your kit in this way discard the pile of luxuries, put all your remaining kit in one pile and do it all again. discard pile 3 again, then repeat a third time. When you've done this you'll be surprised how much kit you can do without and how light your pack will be.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya guys having quickly and roughly done what dave suggested cheers dave by using lists on my computer i have realised id i dont need to take my hammock because i was only taking it because its my favourite type of sleeping out doors but a bivi and mat is just as good plus it one will alll fit in and to there is space to spare beleive it or not and three it then makes it a whole lot less weight the reason i no that there will be space to spare is cos of it all fits in with it so it has to be emptied of tthe hammock stuff which will definatly create space

Last edited:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
One thing you could be doing now is learning what you need from the tree and wild food books so you won't need to carry the books. Perhaps take a note book with your own notes and drawings of the key things you need to know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE