a problem for u to solve

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Hiya gang

A problem for you to solve for you

This is my MINIMUM kit list that I feel comfortable with all year round because in the next year I am of walkabout possibly and well there’s a problem and that is It wont fit in a 120litre plc rucksack.

Now I know what your probably going to say first and that is what sleeping bag do I have well it’s a snugpack Antarctica re and its amazing wouldn’t change it for the world. Now I also use a snugpack under blanket, which I also wouldn’t change for the world
Now the reason I ask is I can get it all in accept no room for food and well if I am going walk about going to need food. Also please note this kit is universal in that I can sleep anywhere with it i.e. on the ground or my favourite in amongst the trees swinging
Also all towels are all ready converted to shamag so are dead light and pack up dead small

So all that is left to say is help any ideas

Kit list

ESSENTIAL RUCKSACK ITEMS
SLEEPING BAG
TARP
TARP ACCESSARIES
HAMMOCK
MOSSI NET
MOSSI NET ACCESSARIES
UNDERBLANKET AND MAT
KIIT HAMMOCK
BIVI BAG
NIGHT WEAR
T-SHIRTS/JUMPERS
LONG TROUSER, SHORTS, SOFTIES
SPARE UNDERWEAR, SOCKS
WATERPROOF SOCKS
CLOAK does not go in sack but fits under hood along with camera
TRAINERS, BOOTS, SANDELS
WATERPROOFS
WASH KIT, TOWEL, FOLDING SHOVEL
T TOWEL, DISHCLOTH, SPONGE
WASHING UP LIQUED
ALCOHOLIC HAND GEL
HAT AND GLOVES
KNIFE, FORK, SPOON
HOT LIQUEDS FLASK
BILLY CAN, FRYING PAN
POT GRABBER, BLOW POKER
HEXI STOVE, BOX, PEGS, SHEILD
FOLDING WATER CARRYING BAG
HEAD TORCH, SPARE BATTERYS
TWO LITRE WATER BLADDER
PERSONAL FIRST AID KIT
INSECT REPELLENT
SUNTAN LOTION
AXE, LAPLANDER SAW
SHARPENING KIT
FOOD
STOOL
NALAGENE BOTTLE
SEWING KIT
solar mobile and camara charger

ESSENTIAL PERSONAL WEAR THAT ONLY GOES IN SACK IF IN A TOWN CENTRE
KNIFE, CROOK KNIFE
FIRE LIGHTING KIT
58 PAT WATERBOTTLE AND BAG
58 PAT CUP/ MILL BANK BAG
CRUSADER AND LID
STAFF

OPTIONAL ITEMS
PEN/PENCIL
CANDLE LANTURN
NOTEBOOK
CAMARA
CAMARA TRIPOD strapped to side above side pocket or slung underneath the hole thing
CAMARA ACCESSORIES in camera bag
TREE BOOK
WILD FOOD BOOK

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hiya,
if you're going to do the fix camp thing from your other post i wouldn't worry about it not fitting in one bergen, just take two for the immediate travel arrangements and then furnish your shelter with the excess more static stuff as you would at home, such as have your stove on permanent use and spare clothes squared away and only used when required.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi Drew!

What hammock are you using? The DD Travel hammock can be used as a 1 man bivvi if required. If you swap your hammock for DD Travel, you can do away with the bivvi bag, mozzi net and accessories. I'd also ditch the kit hammock (but that's my personal opinion as I never managed to get on with mine :confused:). It's worth considering ditching you underblanket in exchange for a decent (thick) thermarest-type mat, thereby adding more versatility to your pack by removing the need for both mat and underblanket (although I know you'll be reluctant to leave it behind).

Just my 'tuppence' worth :)

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
You sure like your stuff :)

I love my axe, but i now realize it's one of those guilty pleasures that i take with me, then use the laplander! Personally I'd leave it out.

What hammock you got? If you have a DD Travel hammock, it can also be a bivi - due to its waterproof base. One item doing two jobs. I also ave one for sale in the classifieds - shameless plug :eek:

Anyway, sounds like you will have a blast :)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
i currently use the camping hammock and i am not doing the static camp anymore so it all has to fit in and i dont really want to be spending money on new kit cos even tho the travel hammock would sove the issue it would mean selling loads of gear and then buying more and i personally dont see the point in that and i could not sleep in hammock with water proof bottem anyway cos i tried before i baught the one i have and it felt as tho i had pished the bed in the morning.
now in regards to the axe i have to take it cos i love it to much not to sorry

now inregards to using a mat instead of an underblanket good idea except i felt uncomfy and hated it when had to do it before i had my underblanket
also a kit hammock soves so many problems its untrue and so personlly love them so i feel it is a essential item

thanks for the replys guys keep up the good tips cos i need them

drew

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
well, my mate has just come back from a trek around NZ, australia and asia, he had to go lite, small and hi tech to get it all in, even then he had to cache supplies and extra kit around the place that he would access when required.
cut it down and down until it fits, get things that do more than one thing, or are small and light in weight. be prepared to suffer hardship physically to attain the goal of the overall adventure because you can't carry it all. prioritise your kit, ditch the fluffy extras. my mate is over six feet and a 32 waist before he started he's now a 28 waist and lost nearly 3 kilos in weight to do his trek.
also, i'd let everyone know you have decided not to continue with the static camp idea before they go to the trouble of adding more photos etc to your other post.

have fun, oh also, look at kit selection ideas in books to do with antarctic survey and other exploration and get into the expedition frame of mind.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Much as you don't want to, the obvious answer is to get rid of the monster bag and replace it with something more compact. By the time you really need the Antarctica you should have sussed out what other gear you can comfortably dispense with to make room for it.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
a couple of thoughts.

folding shovel - cheap and nasty trowel from the local pound shop, you can even snap off the plastic handle if you want and just use the "blade", if you want a longer handle for whatever reason just use a split stick and a bit of string. it works for me.

stool - really?

boots, trainers, sandals - do you need all three of these? i'd choose one or the other, personally it depends on whether or not anyone else is looking, because if they're not then sandals and thick socks are better than trainers any day of the week.

have you considered being seasonal with your kit, mabye caching some of your winter kit through the summer for example. there's a lot of kit that you'll only need some of the time, you probably won't need sunscreen all year.

cheers

stuart

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Perhapse bin the hand clenser and washing up liquid, a couple of uncented soap bars would do.
could you mount the camera screw onto your staff and loose the tripod?
thats a lot of clothes, even for a year on the road, as your carrying it on your back.
bin the knife and fork, your spoon is your friend, and you have your "other knife" which I would only take an edc blade.
I know that cloak is a lovely thing but do you really need it?
same with the stool.
I'd only take either the trainers or the sandles.
do you have your foot care kit in your fak, like compeed, talck blister kit?
If your going around the uk, i wouldn't worry to much about food, just look to carry two to three days, as you can always resup(i'd do this from proper farm shops for cheap veggies) forget the useual rations type stuff unless your going to be miles for a shop for a week or so.
i'd probably ditch the flask and the bladder, your out and about for a while why rush, sit and make a brew.

I hope you don't take offence to my suggestions, I am really looking forward to hearing about your travels.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
southey i have not taken offence at all and your seggestions are decent but the reason for sandles and trainers is trainers for walking around camp when i know its for a few days and sandles for when i find proper showers cos i will be visiting civilisation quite often and dont want to stink and cantgo in shower bare foot cause alsorts of desease possibly. now your idea for ditching the bladder sounds a good one but if in the wilderness will need as much water as poss i would ave thought? and i cant see a one litre flask being enough. and the hot liqueds flask is an essential item cos i often make a coffee then strike camp and its gone cold so baught one and problem solved. also i cant put camara screw on to staff so will defo have to take tripod.

also the cloak i had it made because i want to use it and secondly i would rather do with out other kit than that.

shaggy stu thats a genius idea no need for trainers if socks and sandles works i will do that cheers

so thanks to you guys i have cut out a hammock, mossi net, accessaries, stool, folding shovel, bivvi bag and trainers, how the travel hammock, socks and sandles, and sitting in hammock or on the ground and a trowel from the pound shop

so keep them coming guys cos i need them

thanks drew

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Perhapse bin the hand clenser and washing up liquid, a couple of uncented soap bars would do.

I'd go the other way on that - just carry washing up liquid as it's better for the dishes than soap, and shampoo is only Fairy liquid with a bit of extra foo-foo thrown in. If you carry the blue Fairy liquid it reckons to be anti bacterial too, so that's the hand-gel covered.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Thats fair enough mate i can whole hartedly agree with taking kit for a sentimental reasons, as for showers perhapse slip a pair of fliplops between your main and side pouch, as for water it's all down to planning your route, there's not many places in the uk where you'll not be with a couple of miles of a stream/pool/pond/milk maidens bath house.

does your flask have a cup on it? ifso you've got three cups there, mabey drop one or two?

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
I'd start with...

ESSENTIAL RUCKSACK ITEMS
SLEEPING BAG
TARP
TARP ACCESSARIES

MAT
BIVI BAG
NIGHT WEAR
LONG TROUSER, SHORTS, SOFTIES
SOCKS
CLOAK does not go in sack but fits under hood along with camera
BOOTS, SANDELS
WATERPROOFS

TOWEL, FOLDING SHOVEL
T TOWEL

ALCOHOLIC HAND GEL
HAT AND GLOVES
SPORK

BILLY CAN
POT GRABBER
HEXI STOVE,
FOLDING WATER CARRYING BAG
HEAD TORCH, SPARE BATTERYS
PERSONAL FIRST AID KIT
INSECT REPELLENT
SUNTAN LOTION
AXE, LAPLANDER SAW
SHARPENING KIT
FOOD
NALAGENE BOTTLE
SEWING KIT
solar mobile and camara charger

ESSENTIAL PERSONAL WEAR THAT ONLY GOES IN SACK IF IN A TOWN CENTRE
KNIFE
FIRE LIGHTING KIT

OPTIONAL ITEMS
PEN/PENCIL
CANDLE LANTURN
NOTEBOOK
CAMARA
CAMARA TRIPOD strapped to side above side pocket or slung underneath the hole thing
CAMARA ACCESSORIES in camera bag
TREE BOOK
WILD FOOD BOOK

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I may have missed it or it may be in another thread but exactly where are you planning on going 'walkabout'?

Clearly the list and advice for say 12 months trekking around SE Asia is a lot different to 12 months in the Canadian Northwoods and that is a lot different to say 12 months in the UK..

Cheers

John

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
in the uk and yes u have missed it cos a fewe months back i asked in in bushcraft chatter is it possible to go walkabout and also i should have said were in this thread your right sorry

Hi Drew,

Definately no need to appologise especially to me...

it seems like an interesting endeavour..

I'll take a look at your list in the light of use in the UK.

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE