Whats the point of Bushcraft in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
HI: It's just like the old scout motto, "Be Prepared". It does not have to be an "end of the world" scenario for one to learn bushcrafting. For Heavens sake, there are countless stories of people on the road in their auto or out for a hike or out sailing or flying their planes when a situation occurs or an accident happens that causes them to be in a fix that calls for bushcraft or "survival" skills. It's something that everyone should at least have a basic knowledge of. Unfortunately, 90% of the population would just be S--T out of luck. I am sure the guy you were arguing with in the pub would be up fecal matter creek without a paddle if something happened to him. Don't worry about the opinions of others. If they haven't figured it out themselves, they aren't worth a hoot anyway IMHO.
Tight Lines.......
Bruce

U

uk ken

.........for me, it can be different for each individual, is the "great escape"! :D

I find myself (with my son sometimes, or a friend) alone with little chance of any unwanted intrusion. I am completely in command of my situation and it is up to me how comfortable I can make myself within my surroundings. I am relying on no one and sometimes, as importantly, no one is relying on me for anything! ;)

I try to keep down to essentials, as I do not like being handicapped by a huge load. Most of my kit can be used for many applications. I enjoy planning a trip and sorting my gear, considering what items I will need for certain tasks and leaving out items that could do the same job. Though I am not too far away from a "supermarket”, I find that I can detach myself from my everyday life and relax. This might sound soft but when I am surrounded by the beauty of nature sitting next to my fire having eaten a good meal and contemplating a truly restful night, I can't help but smile to myself. Each to his own, but for me there is nothing like it.

Any outing can be a challenge. Problems can arise and new skills might be needed to deal with them so I find that I am learning all of the time. It is great to read books, watch Mr. Mears or attend bushcraft courses but getting out there and doing it yourself is where the real pleasure lies.

As a young lad I used to enjoy taking a couple of spuds and a tin of beans from the pantry and going off into the woods. I'd light a small fire, fashion a "spork" from wood whilst the food cooked and enjoy watching the wood's residents going about their business. I would lie down in the grass gazing at the sky, not a care in the world. As an adult, (almost) I have the same feeling of escape from my real world whenever I have a few nights in the "wilds". :)

Cheers, Ken

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
One day, I stood on a road through a thick mountain forest in Romania... I wondered how it was that I had only learned the skills to survive by following the road in either direction, and not head into the woods...
I felt that in being able to go only in two directions of the whole circle, I was missing out on a lot, and I felt "cheated" that our society narrows down our development like that.

Practising bushcraft made my world grow in all directions :)

Live and Love,
Anneke

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Banjobill said:
What is the point of bushcraft in the UK?

I thought your answer was pretty good. You weren't going to win the argument, however, whatever you said.

For me, bushcraft is about gaining knowledge and the application of knowledge. I learn things (usually on this forum) and then I go and try them. I have many interests and this is just one of them. I am a triathlete, a climber/mountaineer, a photographer, I enjoy writing, I work with technology, I love reading, etc, etc.

Bushcraft sits nicely amongst them, believe it or not.

I enjoy keeping fit so I can spend lots of time outdoors - and vice versa. I spend time in the outdoors enjoying some extreme environments, safe in the knowledge that I have some survival skills and appreciation of that environment. Bushcraft helps me see things for photography that others would miss. I can write about it - on this site, if I want to. I love reading about bushcraft and related subjects. I even find bushcraft useful at work because it starts to help me see the wood for the trees, see what is truly essential, and pick the simple but elegant solutions.

I am not a 'public stereotype' bushcrafter. I know the limits of 'traditional' stuff and I appreciate technological advances like GPS, digital cameras, computers, etc. For example, whilst the Swanndri is an immensely practical and hardy piece of clothing, I use advanced lightweight breathable fabrics for climbing and very wet and cold conditions. Use the right tool for the right job - another great bushcraft principal.

Bushcraft is not a 'hobby' in isolation. It is symbiotic - it works in conjunction with everything else we do to - hopefully - shape the way we act, we treat the land, we treat other people, and we treat ourselves.

If that all sounds a bit wishy-washy airy-fairy, so be it. It means different things to different people and your colleague in the pub is unlikely to ever get it.

Cheers,

Mike

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
As with reference to any hobby, the question is spurious (though I'm not suggesting that you prescribe to it). Sometimes you can get into a discussion where there are so many people against you that you end up failing to prove that black isn't actually white - I don't envy your experience!

You can ask similiar questions of any pastime with just as much weight. Example - What's the point of football? Running around kicking a ball about? What's the point of sticking a spoiler on your car and adding low profile tyres? What's the point of reading books? Et al. Personally I can't stand football or modding cars, but I'd defend your right to pursue those hobbies.

Ultimately it's not illegal, you're not hurting anyone either directly or indirectly and you enjoy it - sounds like reason enough to get out there and have a go.

All hobbies can be ridiculed but as the saying goes - most men mock what they cannot aspire to :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
"The point of bushcraft"

Easy for me to answere personally,

I need bushcraftyness/bivy/outdoors to make me a happier more relaxed person. If i go without atleast sleeping outside for at max a month or two i start loosing my temper more often and smile much less often. Also the missus says i become unbearable and i feel the need to go postal when i come up against lifes trials tribualtions and pointless time wasting excercises such as form filling, help desks, automated telephone systems, sales people, traffic wardens, tail gate`ers, etc etc im sure you get the idea :eek:

:)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Seems like a kinda pointless question to me.
What's the point in football? What's the point in sports in general? What's the point in hunting? What's the point in loading a house full of wardrobes, and then the wardrobes full of clothes?
There is no point whatsoever, except that all of the above, as with Bushcraft, gives some people enjoyment and a sense of satisfaction. Personally, I find Bushcraft more satisfying than any of the above, and I find the knowledge gained far more useful than anything you could learn while scoring a hat trick.
It's just a matter of personal opinion, really.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
So true. What is the point of the question.

I like it. I do it. I enjoy it. Regardless of the opinions of the ignorent.

FeralSheryl

Nomad
Apr 29, 2005
Gloucestershire
Why climb a mountain? Because it's there.

Why bother with Bushcraft in the UK? Because wild places still exist here and we can still be part of it for one thing. The magic of being that close to nature aside for a moment - if one can ever put that aside - the modern world we live in turns us into children. It does absolutely everything for us, we just have to sell our time to pay for it. It has its advantages of course but there is something innate in us that wants to do for ourselves, to be grown up and make it on our own and I think thats one of the great motivating forces behind a modern day interest in bushcraft.

Theres also the wonderful sense of satisfaction you get when you discover you can find food, make a shelter, MAKE FIRE for yourself if need be or just for the pleasure of learning how to do that. You gain a true sense of independance and you don't need a great big corporation to hand you those things on a plate any more.

From a conservation point of view its in your best interests to preserve the environment because you know for a fact that its the only thing that can give you that independance directly.

Well thats the point of Bushcraft for me anyway. Not to mention the glee I get from a new bit of kit ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
FeralSheryl said:
The magic of being that close to nature aside for a moment - if one can ever put that aside - the modern world we live in turns us into children. It does absolutely everything for us, we just have to sell our time to pay for it. It has its advantages of course but there is something innate in us that wants to do for ourselves, to be grown up and make it on our own and I think thats one of the great motivating forces behind a modern day interest in bushcraft.

Theres also the wonderful sense of satisfaction you get when you discover you can find food, make a shelter, MAKE FIRE for yourself if need be or just for the pleasure of learning how to do that. You gain a true sense of independance and you don't need a great big corporation to hand you those things on a plate any more.

Yes, I think that's a very good take on it. It's something I've been thinking about recently, and I remembered a section from Robert Prisig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" that I think sums it up. He's talking about a quality the ancient greeks called "arete", and quotes H. D. F. Kitto's "The Greeks" (or claims to - some of Prisig's quotes from Plato, for example, don't appear in the versions I have, so his attribution may be shaky, but anyway):

"When we meet arete in Plato," he said,"we translate it "virtue" and consequently miss all the flavour of it. "Virtue," at least in modern English, is almost entirely a moral word; arete, on the other hand, is used indifferently in all the categories, and simply means excellence.''

Thus the hero of the Odyssey is a great fighter, a wily schemer, a ready speaker, a man of stout heart and broad wisdom who knows that he must endure without too much complaining what the gods send; and he can both build and sail a boat, drive a furrow as straight as anyone, beat a young braggart at throwing the discus, challenge the Pheacian youth at boxing, wrestling or running; flay, skin, cut up and cook an ox, and be moved to tears by a song. He is in fact an excellent all-rounder; he has surpassing arete.

Arete implies a respect for the wholeness or oneness of life, and a consequent dislike of specialization. It implies a contempt for efficiency...or rather a much higher idea of efficiency, an efficiency which exists not in one department of life but in life itself.

Does that sound right to anyone?

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Just tugged a section of something I posted in another thread which might be more appropriate in this thread, my apologies to people who have already read this, but I thought it might help give the thread-starter somehing more to respond with if he gets into this in the pub again (ind his original thread post he reported being ridiculed by the lads down the pub for practicing BC).

From other post:

If its 'just a leisure pursuit' then I doubt that it would be as rewarding as it proves to be. If it's just about 'survival' then I don't believe that people are that paranoid to think that they will ever find themselves in a real survival situation where they can put their skills to the test. In fact, I'm not sure that people who choose to persue this experience can actually define what exactly it is that they are doing it for. This pursuit appears to be different from other forms of 'recreation' in the sense that it deals directly with the essentials of living itself; it doesn't exist as an abstraction of life like other interests do (not to dismiss other persuits). I am beginning to become convinced that, the more it is practiced, the better, in fact, we should probably stop calling it a hobby, pursuit or recreation because these terms no not adequately describe the experience, and relegate the practice to the degree of 'past time' or 'extra-curricular-activity' instead of its correct status of basic human rneed which must be protected vigilanlty. Some peole who practice this lifestyle report alterations in behavior and perception such as hightened sensory awareness, changes in temporal perception, greater efficiency of motor co-ordination and task excecution, reduction in stress level, reduced tolerance of television and mass media, increased capability for thought management and clearer critical prioritisation, increased compassion and respect for other beings which inhabit the planet, increased sense of responsibility for the assured protection of the natural world, increased awareness of the ability for individuals to have a significant effect on the environment and their own lives, not mention incresed feelings of satisfaction and general wellbeing engendered by these and many other benefits. Its almost as if, when we are engaging with the expression of life itself at an essential level, then all our bits and bobs which correspond symapathetically with it start to 'turn on' and, I suppose 'tune in'. In a sense, we actually begin to 'occupy' our beings in a more sustantial way, expanding and increasing our experience of ourselves and our environment simultaneously, we actually start to 'live' more. So What I am trying to say is that, living natrually in this way IS the occupation of life. There is no need for 'other employment' if we are employed in the very act of living itself.

End of quote

Thing is, people are always going to critisise your way of life if they are unhappy with theirs, what your friends down the pub may actually be saying is:

"I'm actually not very satisfied with my experience of life, I don't feel truly connected with any part of it, and this sense of detachment makes me feel scared and vulnerable to the degree that I cling almost paralysed to whatever society is prepared to offer me in order to make me feel that I belong to something, and this includes TV, Football, Politics, Sexism, Racism, Mediocrity, Newspapers, Fashion, Pop-culture etc. Having said this, I notice that you are happy and exited about Bushcraft, you seem almost connected to life and are beginning to appear more satisfied, why should you have such a simple solution? In fact, I resent your satisfaction and happiness because it only serves to exaggerate my own feelings of lonliness and dissatisfaction. In order to deal with this situation I will attempt to lessen the impact by ridiculing your interests, which should help to restore my false sense of security, and may even increase my ranking and position within my chosen social fraternity"

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
drstrange said:
There is no need for 'other employment' if we are employed in the very act of living itself.
I sort of agree with you, but there is a pardox in me reading that statement. If I didn't have other employment then I wouldn't be able to pay my broadband connection costs and wouldn't be able to read it... :confused:

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
Zodiak said:
I sort of agree with you, but there is a pardox in me reading that statement. If I didn't have other employment then I wouldn't be able to pay my broadband connection costs and wouldn't be able to read it... :confused:

Yes, I understand the confusion. I lifted that section from a post in the mushroom the law and reality thread, where the whole work/employment/foraging thing was more relevant. Even in that thread the statement reads utopian, but I still feel that it has some value, so I decided to leave it in.

In saying that, I didn't want to suggest that foraging/buscraft/shelerbuilding etc. was the 'be all and end all' of everything, and I went on to say that I don't have a problem with technology, as long as it doesn't harm anyone or anything.

The problem these days is that people seem to be more and more occupied with employment which is ever more dissassociated with their everyday life experience, and that is now accepted as 'the norm', whereas in bushcraft, the work that someone does, their productivity, is completely integrated with their life, is directly related to it. This is one of the reasons why the activity is so rewarding, so satisfying.

Although we live in a 'consumer society', the economy is not soley based on productivity, in fact, of the 'soft-currency' which exists (actually it doesn't exist in a sense, it is in fact virtual) only a tiny fraction is represented by material product. Most of it is based on the protracted assurance of interest control.

Of course, 'outdoorness' doesn't immediatley solve the probelms of the world, but what it can help to do is to help people experience life in a more direct way, where everything is more connected and meaningful, and in a way which allows us to observe more directly the consequences/rewards of our actions, and perhaps this can start to affect the way we view the conventional world around us, and perhaps even help us to visualise alternative possibilities for the future of this planet, no matter how long their gestation.

To me, bushcraft is a-political, and more than bowdrill and bivvy bag, its about establishing a direct connection between what we do, and what we are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE