What's the grill called that people use ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eddieb

Jan 17, 2014
Essex
Hi there just a quick question as it popped in my head.
I see online thereuis a common style of grill being used on campfires. No legs just a tray with horizontal and vertical grid pattern, few sizes i have seen too.
What is this called and why is it popular over a standard kitchen/bbq one?

I can try to find a video link and mention the time it appears in a video if that helps

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
This one was made from a repurposed reception chair with old rebar bars, the legs are all separate and just slide into the 'grill top', so you can have it at two different heights.

53437373883_a87840d234_c.jpg

Or i used to like to just make one in the woods.

53647118604_83530375ee_c.jpg

Most of the time though, i used to just put the pots and pans direct on the coals

53437555034_60640e81cc_c.jpg

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
There is a company called Purcell Trench in America who make really nice, light and robust grills. They are expensive now though but Ive had my two for about 15 years and both are still going strong even after some abuse and should last another 15.

Reactions: Thoth

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
There is a company called Purcell Trench in America who make really nice, light and robust grills. They are expensive now though but Ive had my two for about 15 years and both are still going strong even after some abuse and should last another 15.
Yes, top quality and very lightweight, but spendy. Especially with international postage and import duty into the UK. I got mine sent to a friend in the US who brought it with them in their luggage when back flying here on holiday. Would not really have been affordable otherwise. But looks like it will outlast me. I find the problem is that now I can afford kit that will last a lifetime, I've already used up a quite a lot of lifetime....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE